Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Video Replay in Baseball?

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349

    Video Replay in Baseball?

    Kinda wondering what people think about it after how last night both the Mets and Yankees were victems of bad calls.

    Personally, I see no reason not to have it for the sake of accuracy. Being able to review Home Run Calls, Fair and Foul, and if a player is safe or out at a bag would only help the game be accurate. I wouldn't want Balls and Strikes to be up for review though as it'd slow down the game way too much I think.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    I'm for it for HR calls and safe/out calls but I think it should be like the NFL challenge you get one or two a game but I don't know what you would give up if the call was right.

    maybe if you're wrong you give up your others and if your right you don't give up any??

    I think it's a pipe dream though

  3. #3
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    As much as it would make sense in the technological strive for accuracy, I don't know if I would want to see it implemented in baseball.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    As much as it would make sense in the technological strive for accuracy, I don't know if I would want to see it implemented in baseball.

    NOt at all huh?? why not??

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    I am for it. They should get it right every single time!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    i'd say one per game per team would be cool.....maybe two max....


    as far as what you lose if you get it wrong, i don't think you lose anything, this is baseball, you can basically ask for timeout whenever the hell you want.....balls and strikes should definitely be excluded, as well as check swings, and alot of the other supid things that should not be reviewable....

    matter of fact only things i can really think of that should be reviewable would be a safe or out call at a bag or at the plate...and things like homeruns......foul ball calls that hop over the bag should be excluded as well since thats a judgement call

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    I am for it. They should get it right every single time!
    SO no restrictions?

    you would want it for every pitch and every play?

  8. #8
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    NOt at all huh?? why not??

    I don't know... even with all the insane contracts, and the steroid scandals, and the commercialism... it still feels like baseball is the last "pure" sport in America. The rules are so simple and basically haven't changed for a hundred years. Video replay would be strange to see.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    SO no restrictions?

    you would want it for every pitch and every play?

    that would be ridiculous and will NEVER happen

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    that would be ridiculous and will NEVER happen
    agreed

    (twice in one day WOW )

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    I'd just give each team 2 reviews per game (I don't think one is enough), no penalty if they are wrong.

    Reviewable - Home Run Calls, Fair and Foul Balls, and Safe or Out at a Bag.
    Non-Reviewable - Balls and Strikes, Check Swings

    It might annoy those who are all for the purity of the game, but at the same time it increases accuracy and makes it much more likely that the games end up being correctly called and less controversy because of it.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    I would never. It would destroy any purity baseball has left to stop the game to look at replays plus each time youre screwed with a call you'll get one back, its all karma anyway.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    anyone think that one day something similar to questech will be calling balls and strikes instead of a human umpire?

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    SO no restrictions?

    you would want it for every pitch and every play?

    Not on balls and strikes obviously.

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    Yes because games arent long enough right now.

    Get over it, there's 164 games.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Yes because games arent long enough right now.

    Get over it, there's 164 games.
    And some teams don't make the plays offs because of 1 game.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Yes because games arent long enough right now.

    Get over it, there's 164 games.

    162........

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    162........
    I didn't notice he said 164. Good call...

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,148
    I think there should only be replay for questions of where the ball lands, for HRs and fair/foul. Those are plays that should be clear to tell from the replay, and plays where the umpires, even if they are doing their job perfectly, are not in great position to see.
    I wouldn't have it for whether a player is safe or out at a base, because I think those plays are not always clear from a replay (yesterday's Yankees game was a rare clear screw-up), and the umpires usually are in position to make the call.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7
    I think there should only be replay for questions of where the ball lands, for HRs and fair/foul. Those are plays that should be clear to tell from the replay, and plays where the umpires, even if they are doing their job perfectly, are not in great position to see.
    I wouldn't have it for whether a player is safe or out at a base, because I think those plays are not always clear from a replay (yesterday's Yankees game was a rare clear screw-up), and the umpires usually are in position to make the call.

    I disagree. It is usually easy to tell. If it is hard to tell then they can't over turn it. Just like in the NFL.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us