Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline Prices

Gasoline Prices

Why are they so high?
    Could it be because the industry has not built any new refineries in 30+ years.
    Could it be because some folks block any attempt for the oil companies to drill for new sources of oil.
    Could it be because some folks don't want nuclear power plants to be built.

If the above were done we cut our dependency on foreign oil to nill and gas prices would come down. But no we let the loony environmentalists drive this country into the hands of the ragheads!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Last year when the gas prices were skyrocketing (and before the Dems took congress), the Democrats wailed about how they needed to be in power to make the problem go away. Well, here they are in power...and here the gas prices are approaching record highs...

must be an election year, right? oh wait...

All Pro
    Who cares? I hope that the prices keep skyrocketing so the American people finally take some initiative and demand alternative fuel options.

[QUOTE=shakin318]Last year when the gas prices were skyrocketing (and before the Dems took congress), the Democrats wailed about how they needed to be in power to make the problem go away. Well, here they are in power...and here the gas prices are approaching record highs...[/QUOTE]

shakin I personally challenge you to find a link where any democrat running for public office promised to control the free gasoline trading market upon election.

[QUOTE=bitonti]shakin I personally challenge you to find a link where any democrat running for public office promised to control the free gasoline trading market upon election.[/QUOTE]

Bit, they all hold meetings about it, but nothing gets done about it! Politicians are crooks.

[QUOTE=MnJetFan]Bit, they all hold meetings about it, but nothing gets done about it! Politicians are crooks.[/QUOTE]

that is true but few are powerful enough to control the motions of the free market. if commodities traders think a substance is more or less valuable than currently price, no one in Washington DC can impact that judgment.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=parafly]Who cares? I hope that the prices keep skyrocketing so the American people finally take some initiative and demand alternative fuel options.[/QUOTE]

ditto!

Banned
    [QUOTE=parafly]Who cares? I hope that the prices keep skyrocketing so the American people finally take some initiative and demand alternative fuel options.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that, but I don't know if that's going to happen. I still see a lot of people on the road with brand new, large vehicles. The first initiative people would take would be to drive something more efficient. So far it's not happening, at least where I live.

I thought it might happen after Hurricane Katrina, when gas hit over $3.40 here, but then gas quickly dropped to $2.75 and I swear I heard people start saying that gas was "cheap." This despite the fact that right before Katrina, gas was around $2.20, so it was still about 50 cents more than it was only 3-4 weeks prior.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]Bit, they all hold meetings about it, but nothing gets done about it! Politicians are crooks.[/QUOTE]

Pelosi aluded to it in her "First Hundred Hours" article...

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-nancy-pelosi/one-hundred-hours_b_33529.html[/url]
    [QUOTE]
    In 100 hours, the top five oil companies will take in $4.3 billion in profits.

In 100 hours, $1.1 billion will be spent on the war in Iraq.

In 100 hours, the public debt will grow by $4.9 billion.

In 100 hours, the top 10 pharmaceutical companies will gain $2.6 billion in profits.

In 100 hours, the top CEOs will earn an average of $2 million each.

In 100 hours, a minimum wage worker working 8 hours a day will earn $171.67.

And if all goes as expected, in less than 100 hours my sixth grandchild will be born.

I want my grandchild to be born into an America where government is for and by the people. I want my grandchild to be born into an America that rewards and values hard work. I want my grandchild to be born into an America where you are not labeled a terrorist coddler when you honor the Constitution.

I want my grandchild to be born into an America where if the U.S. Central Command judges the situation in Iraq to be near chaos, with "violence at all-time high, spreading geographically", if the top intelligence agencies tell you that the war in Iraq is inspiring the very terrorism it was purported to prevent, and if four highly respected military newspapers say of the Secretary of Defense that "his strategy has failed, and his ability to lead is compromised...[he] must go" that you fire your Secretary of Defense and change the course.

I want my grandchild to be born into an America whose government honors its duty for accountability and oversight.

I want my grandchild to be born into an America that inspires innovation, that leads with dignity and diplomacy, that rejects fear mongering, and whose leaders start each day remembering that the Constitution begins with the simple but revolutionary phrase "We the people," which announced to the world that here, the people rule.

If you honor Democratic candidates with your vote today, in the first hundred hours of a Democratic Congress: We will restore civility, integrity, and fiscal responsibility to the House of Representatives. We will start by cleaning up Congress, breaking the link between lobbyists and legislation and commit to pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending.

We will make our nation safer and we will begin by implementing the recommendations of the independent, bipartisan 9/11 Commission.

We will make our economy fairer, and we will begin by raising the minimum wage. We will not pass a pay raise for Congress until there is an increase in the minimum wage.

We will make health care more affordable for all Americans, and we will begin by fixing the Medicare prescription drug program, putting seniors first by negotiating lower drug prices. We will also promote stem cell research to offer real hope to the millions of American families who suffer from devastating diseases.

We will broaden college opportunity, and we will begin by cutting interest rates for student loans in half.

[B]We will energize America by achieving energy independence, and we will begin by rolling back the multi-billion dollar subsidies for Big Oil.[/B]

We will guarantee a dignified retirement, and we will begin by fighting any attempt to privatize Social Security.

I say this as a grandmother (of almost six) and as the Democratic Leader of the U.S. House of Representatives.
    [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sourceworx]I'm with you on that, but I don't know if that's going to happen. I still see a lot of people on the road with brand new, large vehicles. The first initiative people would take would be to drive something more efficient. So far it's not happening, at least where I live.

I thought it might happen after Hurricane Katrina, when gas hit over $3.40 here, but then gas quickly dropped to $2.75 and I swear I heard people start saying that gas was "cheap." This despite the fact that right before Katrina, gas was around $2.20, so it was still about 50 cents more than it was only 3-4 weeks prior.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but we are one devastating hurricane and/or military confilict with Iran away from seeing $5-$6 a gallon prices. When that happens, there will be an uproar from American citizens for alternative fuels, and politicians will have no choice but to comply even though they are in the back pockets of the oil lobbies.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=parafly]Agreed, but we are one devastating hurricane and/or military confilict with Iran away from seeing $5-$6 a gallon prices. When that happens, there will be an uproar from American citizens for alternative fuels, and politicians will have no choice but to comply even though they are in the back pockets of the oil lobbies.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean, "comply?"

Are you suggesting there is some conspiracy to prevent alternative fuels from coming to market?

Banned
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]What do you mean, "comply?"

Are you suggesting there is some conspiracy to prevent alternative fuels from coming to market?[/QUOTE]

No, not a conspiracy. What he means is that lobbyists for Big Oil influence the pols to vote for or against legislation in favor of their agendas.

Hall Of Fame

Are you suggesting there is some conspiracy to prevent alternative fuels from coming to market?[/QUOTE]

No conspiracies.....LOOK! A unicorn!

[IMG]http://the-office.com/bedtime-story/unicorn.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Trades]We will energize America by achieving energy independence, and we will begin by rolling back the multi-billion dollar subsidies for Big Oil.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah that's fine - and if that occurs it would affect the markets that day just like other big pieces of news that affect the markets. But we can't predict what that effect will be nor can we make a direct connection between the policies of Washington DC and the price of gasoline. If an oil refinery in Saudi Arabia gets blown up for example the gas prices will rise... it's not like politicians have that much of a clout to control those fluctuations.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

$56 fill up on Monday :eek:

All Pro

No, not a conspiracy. However, if there is an uproar from the American public, pressure from oil lobbies to keep our energy policy unchanged will not have as much of an influence in American politics.

In any case, our country needs a Manhattan Project type of program to make alternative energy a reality. We needed the government to develop nukes during WWII, we needed the government to develop the Space program in the 50's and 60's to come out ahead of the USSR at the peak of the Cold War, and we now need the government to develop alternative energy to stop funding the Middle East/terrorism and to stop polluting and destroying the only home we know. There is no doubt in my mind that if we put as much money and effort into the development of alternative energy as we have put into Iraq in the past 5 years, we would be well on our way toward clean energy independence, not to mention a serious financial blow to terrorism.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Yeah that's fine - and if that occurs it would affect the markets that day just like other big pieces of news that affect the markets. But we can't predict what that effect will be nor can we make a direct connection between the policies of Washington DC and the price of gasoline. If an oil refinery in Saudi Arabia gets blown up for example the gas prices will rise... it's not like politicians have that much of a clout to control those fluctuations.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bitonti]Agreed, but I posted that in response to
    shakin I personally challenge you to find a link where any democrat running for public office promised to control the free gasoline trading market upon election.[/QUOTE]

She made a promise and hasn't come through regarding big oil. Granted she said remove subsidies not control gas prices but she didn't even do what she said she would.

It is interesting how gas prices have become more uniform.
    For example if gas was 2.50 in Philadelphia, it was always at least .20 cents cheaper in South Jersey, now it is .5 to .3 cents cheaper. Did the tax change in the area?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726]It is interesting how gas prices have become more uniform.
    For example if gas was 2.50 in Philadelphia, it was always at least .20 cents cheaper in South Jersey, now it is .5 to .3 cents cheaper. Did the tax change in the area?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how the state taxes gas. California is about 3.70 where my folks are, I'm at 3.10, and washington is at 3.30.