Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate fuels

Jets Insider VIP

Alternate fuels

Speaking of all of the global warming stuff I thought I would throw in a thread that can show what we think about alternate fuel options. This new battery technology looks like it can make electric cars possible.

This looks like it could be a start:
    [url]http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/[/url][list][/list]

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Cool!

Wow an american company! Better patent quick before the Japanese copy it!

Practice Squad
    Green Fleet Advantages:

Zero emission
    All-battery power NanoSafe™ production battery pack system
    100+ miles per charge
    Speeds of 95 m.p.h. carrying five passengers and full payload
    High torque: 0 to 60 m.p.h. in 10 seconds
    Long battery pack life: 250,000 miles/12+ years
    Off board charger: 10 minutes to recharge to 95% capacity
    On board charger: 6 hours to recharge from 220V plug-in
    Available configurations:
    Mid-Size 4-Door Pickup (SUT)
    Mid-Size SUV

It looks pretty cool. The only think that worries me is that it only gets 100+ miles per charge. What if you want to go on a road trip? Charging in 10 minutes isnt bad but what device charges it?

It would be nice if there was a way to recharge the battery as you drive.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=l3ol3o]Green Fleet Advantages:

Zero emission
    All-battery power NanoSafe™ production battery pack system
    100+ miles per charge
    Speeds of 95 m.p.h. carrying five passengers and full payload
    High torque: 0 to 60 m.p.h. in 10 seconds
    Long battery pack life: 250,000 miles/12+ years
    Off board charger: 10 minutes to recharge to 95% capacity
    On board charger: 6 hours to recharge from 220V plug-in
    Available configurations:
    Mid-Size 4-Door Pickup (SUT)
    Mid-Size SUV

It looks pretty cool. The only think that worries me is that it only gets 100+ miles per charge. What if you want to go on a road trip? Charging in 10 minutes isnt bad but what device charges it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the 10 min charge says off board too. Makes me think the batteries would have to be removed. New tech though I am sure things will improve quickly with it. This is the first really new battery tech in years though so it is a huge step in the right direction. The truly amazing electric cars right now are the production (though in very small numbers)
    [URL=http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1]Tesla Motors[/URL] sports car. $90k!!! but 200+ MPC and 0-60 in 4 seconds in a 100% electric car. They are comming out with a consumer priced car soon. I am very interested to see what they do.
    Then there is the hydrogen fuel cell powered [URL=http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/edu_k-12/popups/games/skateboard/index.html]skateboard[/URL] concept by GM that was featured on the discovery channel. The show is worth watching if you see it. Google "GM skateboard" and you will find tons of info. It isn't production but it is progress.

Jets Insider VIP
    One very interesting home project I have found is to convert an old VW Karrman Ghis into a 100% electric car. Would cost about $10K but they say the batterys last about 3 years in these older projects. It just so happens that my father has a Karrman Ghia that has been sitting in his driveway for years. I am strongly considering giving it a shot. BIG project though adn I haven't gotten the wife to sign off on the purchase order. :D

[url]http://www.ghiamonster.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/624745[/url]
    [url]http://www.electroauto.com/index.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

here's a question to ponder....

you have all these lib infested cities who are the lead whiners and b!tches about global warming...most of them have extensive mass transit systems which use fuel guzzling busses which stink up the air.....

why haven't these hypocritical libs, (which run many of these cities) who want the common man to use one square of toilet paper, use $10 lightbulbs, etc, taken the initiative by changing their mass transit busses, etc to alternative solar, hydrogen, etc vehicles???

The guy posts a thread about technology and you automatically make it a attack on liberals?

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]here's a question to ponder....

you have all these lib infested cities who are the lead whiners and b!tches about global warming...most of them have extensive mass transit systems which use fuel guzzling busses which stink up the air.....

why haven't these hypocritical libs, (which run many of these cities) who want the common man to use one square of toilet paper, use $10 lightbulbs, etc, taken the initiative by changing their mass transit busses, etc to alternative solar, hydrogen, etc vehicles???[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame

why haven't these hypocritical libs, (which run many of these cities) who want the common man to use one square of toilet paper, use $10 lightbulbs, etc, taken the initiative by changing their mass transit busses, etc to alternative solar, hydrogen, etc vehicles???[/QUOTE]

Downtown Orlando has a bus system they call the FreeBee. They have one bus that has been in operation for nearly ten years that is electric. They use it for a route to get around Lake Eola (Orlando's Central Park) and through part of the business/restaurant district.

At least it was still there last year.

Philadelphia has the EL train and trolley system, both run on electricity, but CBTNY doesn't care he rather make it a BS political discussion.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

and their busses dipsh!t??? the NYC subway system is also electric (wonder how that electric is produced??) as are parts of metro-north, etc....

but you must dismiss the obvious when you have no other response???

[QUOTE=cr726]Philadelphia has the EL train and trolley system, both run on electricity, but CBTNY doesn't care he rather make it a BS political discussion.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Trades]One very interesting home project I have found is to convert an old VW Karrman Ghis into a 100% electric car. Would cost about $10K but they say the batterys last about 3 years in these older projects. It just so happens that my father has a Karrman Ghia that has been sitting in his driveway for years. I am strongly considering giving it a shot. BIG project though adn I haven't gotten the wife to sign off on the purchase order. :D

[url]http://www.ghiamonster.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/624745[/url]
    [url]http://www.electroauto.com/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

[I]very [/I]cool... I love the old Karman Ghias

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]Downtown Orlando has a bus system they call the FreeBee. They have one bus that has been in operation for nearly ten years that is electric. They use it for a route to get around Lake Eola (Orlando's Central Park) and through part of the business/restaurant district.

At least it was still there last year.[/QUOTE]

that's what places like LA, Chicago, Philly, etc should be doing.....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726]Philadelphia has the EL train and trolley system, both run on electricity, but CBTNY doesn't care he rather make it a BS political discussion.[/QUOTE]

And even the gas powered mass transit at least split the fuel use over many more people that personal use vehicles. The net is better. One thing I also like about the Tesla car website is they relate the electricity use to a cost per gallon of gas which is telling also. The other question with electric vehicles is you still need to consider what the power source might be that is charging your battery if you are looking at environmental as well as personal economic impact.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec][I]very [/I]cool... I love the old Karman Ghias[/QUOTE]

His is pretty sweet. Has the California body mods, no bumpers and such. Pretty sleek. Right now it has a dual carb VW 1800cc engine. Pretty quick and really not too bad on gas.

All Pro

What does this thread have to do with global warming? Put your self-righetous pride aside and recognize that change WILL happen whether you like it or not. The worldwide energy policy is shortsighted, unsustainable, and harmful. Humans can do better, and we will.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parafly]What does this thread have to do with global warming? Put your self-righetous pride aside and recognize that change WILL happen whether you like it or not. The worldwide energy policy is shortsighted, unsustainable, and harmful. Humans can do better, and we will.[/QUOTE]

how ignorant can you be??

were global warming not the major issue what would the pressing need be for alternative fuels???

and while I agree alternative fuels should be developed, and have for the longest time, it's funnier than hell you would claim this has nothing to do with global warming...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 05-11-2007 at 10:30 AM.

I guess being able to have the ability not to depend solely on oil?

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]how ignorant can you be??

were global warming not the major issue what would the pressing need be for alternative fuels???[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

ever hear of nuclear energy??? or have they not gotten to that chapter in your GED program yet???

[QUOTE=cr726]I guess being able to have the ability not to depend solely on oil?[/QUOTE]