Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Strike On Tuesday/wednesday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Gas Strike On Tuesday/wednesday

I know this is always a controversial topic but it is worth posting. An email has been making its way around concerning the obnoxious gas prices. The email states that; "on Tuesday, May 15 and Wednesday, May 16, a gas strike will be held". The email implores people to fill up today or Monday. It continues; "a reasonable amount of people participating could slap the gas companies with a loss of profit up wards of 2 billion dollars".

Now, I do not know how they estimated that number or how many people actually need to participate for that to happen. And I understand that this ultimately becomes a political issue for some. So, if you believe the gas price spike is a normal occurrence every summer, then ignore the post.

For the rest of us, this may be something that is worth doing. If you believe that the gas prices are being manipulated by the powerful petroleum companies, then this your chance to try something other then just complaining. In the span of 6 years the price of gas has gone from a little over $1.00 to over $3.00 a gallon!! The strike is for Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. If this does gain steam, the main stream media will attempt to discourage it (a sure sign that it will work).

So here is an opportunity to not be a victim. Its up to you...............................
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 05-13-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That makes no sense. If you don't get gas on Monday you will still get it on Tuesday so the gas companies aren't going to lose any money. If you really wanted to cost the gas companies money then stop getting cars and trucks that get 15 miles a gallon and less and on that day instead of not getting gas don't ****ing drive. If everyone stop driving on one day then it would cost the gas companies money putting off when you get gas isn't going to help. I could be wrong but this is the way I see it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same people who contrive these emails are the ones who protest the World Bank while drinking Pepsi and wearing Reeboks.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 05-13-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]the exuberant gas prices. [/QUOTE]

what do gas prices have to be so happy about?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, this is like the oldest email urban legend, right up there with the Nigerian inheritance scam-ola.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]

In the span of 6 years the price of gas has gone from a little over $1.00 to over $3.00 a gallon!!

[/QUOTE]

And a barrel of crude oil over the last 6 years has quadrupeled.

But it's those mean oil companies that are responsible for high gas prices.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Call

[QUOTE=BrookBarringer]what do gas prices have to be so happy about?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the heads up on that brain lock :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Its simple.........

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX]And a barrel of crude oil over the last 6 years has quadrupeled.

But it's those mean oil companies that are responsible for high gas prices.[/QUOTE]

Some people believe that the practice of the petroleum companies border on being abhorrently illegal, people like say-CONGRESS, for instance. Congress just launched an investigation into the alleged price gouging.

Other people will think that it is all a ploy by democrats and that the oil companies are innocent victims. Which ever side you fall on, it does not hurt to keep an open mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Which ever side you fall on, it does not hurt to keep an open mind.[/QUOTE]
    It also doesn't hurt for the people that write these asinine emails to actually know what they're talking about.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]Some people believe that the practice of the petroleum companies border on being abhorrently illegal, people like say-CONGRESS, for instance. Congress just launched an investigation into the alleged price gouging.

Other people will think that it is all a ploy by democrats and that the oil companies are innocent victims. Which ever side you fall on, it does not hurt to keep an open mind.[/QUOTE]

When the price of crude oil goes from $13 a barrel in 1998 to $62 a barrel at the end of last year, you are going to see $3 prices at the pumps.

[url]http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm[/url]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]Some people believe that the practice of the petroleum companies border on being abhorrently illegal, people like say-CONGRESS, for instance. Congress just launched an investigation into the alleged price gouging.

Other people will think that it is all a ploy by democrats and that the oil companies are innocent victims. Which ever side you fall on, it does not hurt to keep an open mind.[/QUOTE]

"intelligent"jetsfan, eh?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

fair point....

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]It also doesn't hurt for the people that write these asinine emails to actually know what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

In fact, in my original post I made mention to that fact that I did not know what numbers they were using to get their estimates.

But I also cannot say categorically that it CAN'T work, either. And, if you are fed up with the disgusting prices, what do you have to lose? If it does not work, what did it cost you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

But I also cannot say categorically that it CAN'T work, either. [/QUOTE]
    Yes, you can.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]In fact, in my original post I made mention to that fact that I did not know what numbers they were using to get their estimates.

But I also cannot say categorically that it CAN'T work, either. And, if you are fed up with the disgusting prices, what do you have to lose? If it does not work, what did it cost you?[/QUOTE]

Well, YOU cannot say it CAN'T work, but these people can:

[url]http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp[/url]

What do you know, this was the #1 "hottest" article on snopes.com. Don't feel bad, a lot of people fall for it. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The follwing other activities that "could not work"....

1. John Lennon's silly "Bed-in". All that did was produce THE anthem for the anti-war movement which was sung over and over again on the front lawn of Nixon's house.

2. Gandhi's food strike. one man fasted and, over time, forced one of the most powerful countries out of India. He stopped eating.

3. One woman refuses to move out of her seat on a bus and changed the course of civil rights history.

if you were to apply the logic of some to these actions PRIOR to them happening, each one would seem silly. Of course, now they were acts of brilliance.

I am not saying that I BELIEVE it will work to follow the email. I am saying what do you have to lose by trying?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]1. John Lennon's silly "Bed-in". All that did was produce THE anthem for the anti-war movement which was sung over and over again on the front lawn of Nixon's house.

2. Gandhi's food strike. one man fasted and, over time, forced one of the most powerful countries out of India. He stopped eating.

3. One woman refuses to move out of her seat on a bus and changed the course of civil rights history.

if you were to apply the logic of some to these actions PRIOR to them happening, each one would seem silly. Of course, now they were acts of brilliance.

I am not saying that I BELIEVE it will work to follow the email. I am saying what do you have to lose by trying?[/QUOTE]

The things you mentioned have nothing to do with what you are talking about. Not getting gas for one or two days is not going to help. Think of it this way.

Amount of gas used by you during the week is say 10 gallons. You get gas on Monday most of the time but you didn't have time to get gas on Monday so you got it on Tuesday you still will use 10 gallons of gas. The only way you can hurt the gas companies is if you do not use your car because if you do it is still going to need gas to operate what day you get the gas on doesn't matter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]1. John Lennon's silly "Bed-in". All that did was produce THE anthem for the anti-war movement which was sung over and over again on the front lawn of Nixon's house.

I am not saying that I BELIEVE it will work to follow the email. I am saying what do you have to lose by trying?[/QUOTE]

Brilliant comparisons, unfortunately none of them have anything to do with basic economics.

This does, and it's dumb.

There's nothing to lose by trying, unfortunately it's simply a waste of time. The goal of your supposed "act of brilliance" is to hurt the pockets of the global gasoline community, and not buying gas on Wednesday doesn't do that, because you'll simply buy it on Thursday.

It's supply and demand 101.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]It also doesn't hurt for the people that write these asinine emails to actually know what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

It must be tough being an expert on everything. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MACPAC]It must be tough being an expert on everything. :yes:[/QUOTE]
    It's probably not as tough as it is being clueless pertaining to anything.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]Brilliant comparisons, unfortunately none of them have anything to do with basic economics.

This does, and it's dumb.

There's nothing to lose by trying, unfortunately it's simply a waste of time. The goal of your supposed "act of brilliance" is to hurt the pockets of the global gasoline community, and not buying gas on Wednesday doesn't do that, because you'll simply buy it on Thursday.

It's supply and demand 101.[/QUOTE]

Exactly correct.

North America is sitting on 213 billion barrels of oil as their gas reserves.

One day of not buying gas would have nothing to do with the price of gas.