Thread: State of the water

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

State of the water

The availability and price of oil has me thinking about other commodities, mainly about ones that are even more important. How's water doing? Do we have more reserves than 20 years ago? How's the situation supposed to look over the next 20 years? I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.sawater.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/657AC917-D6E3-4E55-AAD1-38119A0ACBB4/0/diag_water_cycle.gif[/IMG]

I would keep your eye on the sand market. Sand prices have been soaring since the invasion of Iraq. Once that country settles down and the flow of sand from there starts up prices should level off. Would be a good time to invest in sand futures...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]The availability and price of oil has me thinking about other commodities, mainly about ones that are even more important. How's water doing? Do we have more reserves than 20 years ago? How's the situation supposed to look over the next 20 years? I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this.[/QUOTE]

No, we don't. And neither does anyone else.

Wars will be fought over water during this century.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    based on?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan][IMG]http://www.sawater.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/657AC917-D6E3-4E55-AAD1-38119A0ACBB4/0/diag_water_cycle.gif[/IMG]

I would keep your eye on the sand market. Sand prices have been soaring since the invasion of Iraq. Once that country settles down and the flow of sand from there starts up prices should level off. Would be a good time to invest in sand futures...[/QUOTE]

I had to draw that picture and label it for a test grade in elementary school.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]No, we don't. And neither does anyone else.

Wars will be fought over water during this century.[/QUOTE]

Do you understand how the water cycle works? Water doesn't get used up...it just changes form and goes someplace else. We don't need "water reserves"...last time I checked we were bordered by the Atlantic and the Pacific....we need desalinization plants.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    America will be fine, even in places like AZ, CA and NV with no real natural sources outside of the Colorado river.

It's places like India, Africa and China that should be concerned.

Put it another way, what Saudi is to oil America is to water - on the whole we have more of it than we know what to do with.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]

America will be fine, even in places like AZ, CA and NV with no real natural sources outside of the Colorado river.

It's places like India, Africa and China that should be concerned.

Put it another way, what Saudi is to oil America is to water - on the whole we have more of it than we know what to do with.[/QUOTE]
    I don't understand, bit ..

How can any nation fall short on water .. doesn't that resource literally fall from the sky :hmm:
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 05-16-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]I don't understand, bit ..

How can any nation fall short on water .. doesn't that resource literally fall from the sky :hmm:[/QUOTE]

It's not just water - it's clean drinking water. Many countries get their primary drinking water from rivers that start in different countries. For example Turkey, Syria and Iraq all use the same rivers. If their is a shortage, all hell will break loose in places like Asia. Population keeps growing but the rivers stay the same. It sounds crazy but there really isn't enough to go around, should current rates of growth continue. Again, like i say, America for the most part will be fine, we have technology, money and no real natural enemies to storm the gates. Will people live in Las Vegas, LA, Phoenix in a world plagued by water shortage? who can say, but worst case we are talking about relocation. The real problem will occur in places who aren't thinking ahead, relying on these river sources, they are the ones going to be in serious trouble.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]

It's not just water - it's clean drinking water. Many countries get their primary drinking water from rivers that start in different countries. For example Turkey, Syria and Iraq all use the same rivers. If their is a shortage, all hell will break loose in places like Asia. Population keeps growing but the rivers stay the same. It sounds crazy but there really isn't enough to go around, should current rates of growth continue. Again, like i say, America for the most part will be fine, we have technology, money and no real natural enemies to storm the gates. Will people live in Las Vegas, LA, Phoenix in a world plagued by water shortage? who can say, but worst case we are talking about relocation. The real problem will occur in places who aren't thinking ahead, relying on these river sources, they are the ones going to be in serious trouble.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the explanation my friend, I have to plead ignorance, I did not know that

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham]Thanks for the explanation my friend, I have to plead ignorance, I did not know that[/QUOTE]

np, also keep in mind the more pollution out there the more of these water sources become corrupted, the shorter water supply becomes.

it's like they say the human body can go without food for 2 weeks, but can only go without water for 2 days.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]

it's like they say the human body can go without food for 2 weeks, but can only go without water for 2 days.[/QUOTE]

whos' they? wikipedia? yahoo answers?

MSN Encarta says:
    A person can survive only eight to ten days without water.

Randomly, from a sf area nutritionist
    [url="http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_5892200"]http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_5892200[/url]

we can live for about a month without food but only for seven days without water.

the answer overall, is, it depends, especially if you're crawling
    through a desert-the key # is percentage of water in one's body.
    A loss of 20 percent of the body's water would result in certain and painful death due to organ failure. Anecdotally, the longest recorded time anyone has gone without water is eleven days.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]we can live for about a month without food...[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself, buddy...
    [IMG]http://www.jamescampion.com/rosie.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Water is a huge issue where I'm from in Australia. Virtually every city in this country is under water restrictions. If global warming is as bad as what they say it is going to be the outlook for us here is fairly dire. Apparently we will all be drinking our own p*ss before too long. I don't mind just so long as I get to choose who's p*ss it is.