Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republican Debate tonight at 9

Republican Debate tonight at 9

in just about 45 mins on Fox News... I don't know how many candidates will be on tonight, but I'm pretty sure it;s not 10.

Anyone watching this?

flushingjet
    Well, at least Ron Paul can be excused from the adult's table now.

Rudy needs a public speaking class.

Hall Of Fame
    I tivo'd it. Hoping to watch later this week.

[QUOTE=cr726]Rudy needs a public speaking class.[/QUOTE]

True! But there's just way too many candidates up there now. The whole thing seemed awkward.

When there's two, three, or four candidates in a debate it should improve.

How about when Rudy got that huge applause at the expense of Ron Paul? Some of the debate was actually more spirited than I thought it would be.

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Well, at least Ron Paul can be excused from the adult's table now.[/QUOTE]

Ron Paul is the only adult there. He's a coherent conservative, with consistent positions about foreign policy, taxes, justice and governing. (I don't agree with him on all of these, but there's no denying his consistent conservatism and respect for laws and concepts like habeas corpus.) The rest of them are just pandering opportunists.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Ron Paul is the only adult there. He's a coherent conservative, with consistent positions about foreign policy, taxes, justice and governing. (I don't agree with him on all of these, but there's no denying his consistent conservatism and respect for laws and concepts like habeas corpus.) The rest of them are just pandering opportunists.[/QUOTE]

from what we heard from ron bon jovi last night,
    you could close your eyes and swear, "i cant believe its not
    a lib-mo-tard/dennis kucinich"

the "sanjaya" of the GOP, his fifteen minutes is coming to a close

you can always write his name in

[QUOTE=flushingjet]from what we heard from ron bon jovi last night,

you can always write his name in[/QUOTE]

Rumor has it that if American Idol used the Electoral College method instead of the popular vote Sanjaya would still be in the hunt.

[QUOTE=flushingjet]from what we heard from ron bon jovi last night,

you can always write his name in[/QUOTE]

He's the only Republican candidate who supports Habeas corpus (you know, fixture of human rights since the magna carta), who has never voted to raise taxes and who thinks pre-emptive war is absurd, who hasn't changed his abortion stance six times, and he's the crazy one?

He's the only conservative there.

The rest of them are jokes, and will be road kill for whatever Democrat emerges from the primary.

paul is a true conservative is most aspects.. except for his protectionism. can't support that.

Hall Of Fame
    Paul is a protectionist, that won't fly.

Romney is a brilliant man who has tons of management experience, particularly with turning around large organizations in fiscal distress. Yeah, his "epiphany" on abortion rings a bit hollow, and I wish it weren't so...but finding a perfect candidate is virtually impossible and, selfishly, he's on the right side of this equation now and I don't really care what the reasons are...I doubt that he'll "flip" again on this issue once/if elected. He knows his constituency and I do think that the fact that he was running in MA in 94 and 2002 influenced his rhetoric because he probably (rightly) concluded that he couldn't win as a strict pro-lifer back then. But yeah, it still smells fishy...and it's something that will harm him. But politicians are all d-bags in a lot of ways. I just think that most of the time we don't get studs like Romney to run for office. People who are smart and hugely successful in the private sector mostly can't be bothered to go through the scrutiny. I can't imagine why Romney wouldn't just retire and live for the next 30 years with his millions and his family. So, I think this is a rare opportunity to elect a guy who is one of the top 1% in terms of talent we've seen. Look at some of these others guys in the race - they can't hold Mitt's jock.

His universal healthcare plans are also troubling. But, truthfully, after Bush...I am really looking for competence and management acumen, which Romney has in spades. He's an accomplished guy and he knows his sh*t. So, while I am not truly enthusiastic about him, I am voting for him. I've lived in MA since before he was governor and throughout his term. He's just an impressive guy and yeah, there are some reservations. But what else is new? Romney would be a GREAT VP, if there were a decent President candidate....
    Last edited by jets5ever; 05-16-2007 at 03:06 PM.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Paul is a protectionist, that won't fly.

Romney is a brilliant man who has tons of management experience, particularly with turning around large organizations in fiscal distress. Yeah, his "epiphany" on abortion rings a bit hollow, and I wish it weren't so...but finding a perfect candidate is virtually impossible and, selfishly, he's on the right side of this equation now and I don't really care what the reasons are...I have little doubt that he'll "flip" again on this issue once/if elected. He knows his constituency and I do think that the fact that he was running in MA in 94 and 2002 influenced his rhetoric because he probably (rightly) concluded that he couldn't win as a strict pro-lifer. But yeah, it still smells fishy...and it's something that will harm.

His universal healthcare plans are also troubling. But, truthfully, after Bush...I am really looking for competence and management acumen, which Romney has in spades. He's an accomplished guy and he knows his sh*t. So, while I am not truly enthusiastic about him, I am voting for him. I've lived in MA since before he was governor and throughout his term. He's just an impressive guy and yeah, there are some reservations. But what else is new? Romney would be a GREAT VP, if there were a decent President candidate....[/QUOTE]

Romney makes John Kerry look stubborn on the issues. In '94, he promised to be "left of Ted Kennedy" on gay rights, now he's leading the Falwell brigade (or trying to). As you noted, he pulled the same trick on abortion.

The pandering is worrying, as is the lack of a coherent position about Iraq beyond "Bush is a f*ckup but I can't tell you how I'd be different."

I like what I've seen of his health care plan. Some sort of universal health care is probably inevitable --corporate CEOs want those costs off their books now, a major difference from the early 90s-- and the Romney/Schwarzeneger versions incorporate the existing companies rather than creating some massive new beaurocracy.

Fairly or not, his Mormonism is going to be an obstacle for him as well. Being a member of a church that refused to admit blacks until the 1965 Civil Rights Act made it illegal to do so will require some explaining.

Still, he's a peach compared to Giuliani's baggage and totalitarian instincts (did you see the video of him laughing when Paul said he'd preserve habas corpus?), and the GOP base seems to have soured on McCain, so he may be the best option you all have, short of a Chuck Hagel insurgent campaign.

I generally vote deomocratic, so I'll likely vote the other way anyhow, but I don't think Romney should be the guy.

All League
    Paul was the only one up there with strict Constitutional opinions and I can at least respect that. Unfortunately though, he has no chance at the Republican nomination because the Republican party no longer adheres to Constitutionalism and small government. He can always get on the ticket via the Libertarian party if he really wanted to.

Everyone else is just another political windbag that'll say whatever gets the most applause. I'm apathetic towards them all with the exception of Huckabee, he outright sucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Paul is a protectionist, that won't fly.[/QUOTE]

You're right. He might do something crazy like impose tariffs on imported steel. Is was him who was responsible for that, right?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]You're right. He might do something crazy like impose tariffs on imported steel. Is was him who was responsible for that, right?[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're preaching to the choir on this one dude. You find a perfect candidate or politician, you let me know....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Romney makes John Kerry look stubborn on the issues. In '94, he promised to be "left of Ted Kennedy" on gay rights, now he's leading the Falwell brigade (or trying to). As you noted, he pulled the same trick on abortion.

The pandering is worrying, as is the lack of a coherent position about Iraq beyond "Bush is a f*ckup but I can't tell you how I'd be different."

I like what I've seen of his health care plan. Some sort of universal health care is probably inevitable --corporate CEOs want those costs off their books now, a major difference from the early 90s-- and the Romney/Schwarzeneger versions incorporate the existing companies rather than creating some massive new beaurocracy.

Fairly or not, his Mormonism is going to be an obstacle for him as well. Being a member of a church that refused to admit blacks until the 1965 Civil Rights Act made it illegal to do so will require some explaining.

Still, he's a peach compared to Giuliani's baggage and totalitarian instincts (did you see the video of him laughing when Paul said he'd preserve habas corpus?), and the GOP base seems to have soured on McCain, so he may be the best option you all have, short of a Chuck Hagel insurgent campaign.

I generally vote deomocratic, so I'll likely vote the other way anyhow, but I don't think Romney should be the guy.[/QUOTE]

Kerry is just an idiot. Romney has been inconsistent, no question. I don't think he needs to "explain" his religion, though, I think that is a bit ridiculous. But whatever, different strokes....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]You find a perfect candidate or politician, you let me know....[/QUOTE]

Found him....
    [IMG]http://www.tlntv.com/sopranos/cast/castimgs/tony.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Kerry is just an idiot. Romney has been inconsistent, no question. I don't think he needs to "explain" his religion, though, I think that is a bit ridiculous. But whatever, different strokes....[/QUOTE]

It is ridiculous, of course, but, politics frequently are. Most people in the U.S. have never met a Mormon, and, if they know anything about the faith, it's probably polygamy and little else.

In a Republican Party which treats evangelical Christians like a powerful interest group, he's going to have to convince the base he's on the same page with them.

Likewise, the top Democratic candidates include a woman, an African-American and a Hispanic (Richardson), and will have to convince voters that they can be the first president from each of those respective demographic categories.

There have been 43 presidents, and all of them have been Christian white males for a reason. Diversity isn't an easy sell here.