Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Ron Paul and the GOP Debates

OT: Ron Paul and the GOP Debates

Did anyone see the GOP debate last night? Some people are saying that Guiliani was the winner but it was interesting because the person he bashed was the only onw with balls on the entire stage. Ron Paul, some little known congressman from Texas, actually made me remember why I was republican. Anyone see it?

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvoaGfwZcc]First Debate[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKOOXGicMOk]2nd Debate[/URL]
    Last edited by jefethegreat; 05-17-2007 at 01:57 AM.

Ron Paul is a madman. The media will marginalize him. He's the only republican
    candidate who has an actual vision. Plus the only anti-global adventures candidate (the two others, being Gravel and Kuccinch (democrats). Sadly he
    will not last long in the running (the press will harp about how much money
    everyone else is raising, won't mention him, ect). Although if by some freak accident he won the nomination and was voted into office I would lay down my life's savings betting he would die while in office (not of natural causes, although
    it might be claimed).

protectionist

Hall Of Fame
    I missed teh debates but saw this guy on Bill Maher and actually really liked him, he's different and doesnt fall into the BS precast molds that most republicans and democrats do

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]protectionist[/QUOTE]

Utter BS....

I think Ron Paul ran as a Libertarian in 1988.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Utter BS....[/QUOTE]
    what is

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod]I think Ron Paul ran as a Libertarian in 1988.[/QUOTE]

you are correct

I wish he would get nominated, he's the man

[QUOTE=jefethegreat]Did anyone see the GOP debate last night? Some people are saying that Guiliani was the winner but it was interesting because the person he bashed was the only onw with balls on the entire stage. Ron Paul, some little known congressman from Texas, actually made me remember why I was republican. Anyone see it?

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvoaGfwZcc]First Debate[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKOOXGicMOk]2nd Debate[/URL][/QUOTE]

He gets my vote for President.

Veteran
    This is the deal breaker for me, to me free trade is the most important issue. I do not agree with his characterization of free trade agreements:

American Independence and Sovereignty
    So called free trade deals and world governmental organizations like the International Criminal Court (ICC), NAFTA, GATT, WTO, and CAFTA are a threat to our
    independence as a nation. They transfer power from our government
    to unelected foreign elites.

The ICC wants to try our soldiers as war criminals. Both the WTO and CAFTA could force Americans to get a doctor’s prescription to take herbs and vitamins. Alternative treatments could be banned.
    The WTO has forced Congress to change our laws, yet we still face trade wars. Today, France is threatening to have U.S. goods taxed throughout Europe. If anything, the WTO makes trade relations worse by giving foreign competitors a new way to attack U.S. jobs.

NAFTA’s superhighway is just one part of a plan to erase the borders between the U.S. and Mexico, called the North American Union. This spawn of powerful special interests, would create a single nation out of Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, with a new unelected bureaucracy and money system. Forget about controlling immigration under this scheme.

And a free America, with limited, constitutional government, would be gone forever.

Let’s not forget the UN. It wants to impose a direct tax on us. I successfully fought this move in Congress last year, but if we are going to stop ongoing attempts of this world government body to tax us, we will need leadership from the White House.

We must withdraw from any organizations and trade deals that infringe upon the freedom and independence of the United States of America.

i tend to like this guy, which means he has no shot

Wow, what a shock....liberals like the Anti-War It's-All-Our-Fault Candidate.

In further news, they sky is still blue, and water remains wet..... :D

Of course, I DO find the Conservative Sides inabillity to admit ANY fault on the side of the US for our current position vis a vis Islamic Fundamentalism and Terrorism somewhat laughable. Clearly and obviously the US's past Foreign Policy actions have had a deep impact on who and why the Islamic Facists hate us, and fight us. Hearing Rudy on the debate play the "duh, I've never heard THAT before" in repsonse to Mr. Pauls comment was sillyness in extremis. Only a moron would ignore our past actions in the region as being ONE factor in the current world situation.

[QUOTE=bitonti]i tend to like this guy, which means he has no shot[/QUOTE]

Its really early in the campaign and he is not a favorite. But, if he sticks around in the primary enough he could have a shot. He is the only anit-war Republican and the only classic conservative. The libertarian wing of the Republican party is for the taking, and even though its not as large as the Christian wing he could take a good amount of the votes and maybe thats all he would need.

[QUOTE=sunmou]Ron Paul is a madman. The media will marginalize him. He's the only republican
    candidate who has an actual vision. Plus the only anti-global adventures candidate (the two others, being Gravel and Kuccinch (democrats). Sadly he
    will not last long in the running (the press will harp about how much money
    everyone else is raising, won't mention him, ect). [B]Although if by some freak accident he won the nomination and was voted into office I would lay down my life's savings betting he would die while in office (not of natural causes, although
    it might be claimed).[/B][/QUOTE]

Scary isn't it. Thats why, if he was smart, he would run with a guy with the same views as him.

[QUOTE=Warfish]Wow, what a shock....liberals like the Anti-War It's-All-Our-Fault Candidate.
    .[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, I forgot: They attacked us because of our freedom.

What a naive, obviously false line. How historically illiterate.

The terrorists we are fighting have major poolicy beefs with us, which have a lot more to do with why they attack us than our freedom of speech or because of the bad movies we make. (Our culture is salt on a wound, but not the cause of the wound.)

Now I happen to agree with a lot of the U.S. policies that piss off the Muslim world (like supoort for Israel), but that doesn't change the indisputable fact that it is POLICY that pisses off the Muslim world.

They hate us because of:

1) Our support for Israel: I am an Israel supporter myself, but there's no denying this is a major cause of raidcal Muslim anger.

2) Our military presence in Saudi Arabia: We needed this during Saddam's reign. We shut 99% of it down after "major combat operations in Iraq" ended because, Rumsfeld acknowledged, our presence there was an irritant to our enemies.

3) We screwed them in Afghanistan: Remember when Bin Laden was on our side, fighting the Russians? Remember how we cut off virtually all aid to Afghanistan, leaving the country to be taken over by warlords, as soon as the Berlin Wall fell? Guess what, they're still pissed off about that.

4) Our propping up of abusive dictatorships who ensure us oil: Remember the Shah of Iran? Bad guy. Killed a lot of his own folks. Sold us a lot of crude. He was eventually overthrown in a coup by Muslim radicals. What a shock that they hate the country that propped up the guy they drove from power.

But, yeah, "they hate us for our freedom." Right.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola]Oh, yeah, I forgot: They attacked us because of our freedom.

What a naive, obviously false line. How historically illiterate.

The terrorists we are fighting have major poolicy beefs with us, which have a lot more to do with why they attack us than our freedom of speech or because of the bad movies we make. (Our culture is salt on a wound, but not the cause of the wound.)

Now I happen to agree with a lot of the U.S. policies that piss off the Muslim world (like supoort for Israel), but that doesn't change the indisputable fact that it is POLICY that pisses off the Muslim world.

They hate us because of:

1) Our support for Israel: I am an Israel supporter myself, but there's no denying this is a major cause of raidcal Muslim anger.

2) Our military presence in Saudi Arabia: We needed this during Saddam's reign. We shut 99% of it down after "major combat operations in Iraq" ended because, Rumsfeld acknowledged, our presence there was an irritant to our enemies.

3) We screwed them in Afghanistan: Remember when Bin Laden was on our side, fighting the Russians? Remember how we cut off virtually all aid to Afghanistan, leaving the country to be taken over by warlords, as soon as the Berlin Wall fell? Guess what, they're still pissed off about that.

4) Our propping up of abusive dictatorships who ensure us oil: Remember the Shah of Iran? Bad guy. Killed a lot of his own folks. Sold us a lot of crude. He was eventually overthrown in a coup by Muslim radicals. What a shock that they hate the country that propped up the guy they drove from power.

But, yeah, "they hate us for our freedom." Right.[/QUOTE]

When was the last time you were nervous when a Viet Namese American was sitting next to you on a plane? We killed about a million of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Ron Paul hits back last night. On CNN regarding Giuliani's debate comments: "I think he's going to have to back away from his statement pretty soon, because I found two very clear quotes in the 9/11 Commission report that says that very thing, that our foreign policy has a very great deal to do with their willingness and desire to commit suicide terrorism. So, I would suggest that he read the 9/11 Commission report"

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]When was the last time you were nervous when a Viet Namese American was sitting next to you on a plane? We killed about a million of them.[/QUOTE]

I'm not nervous about who sits next to me on a plane, regardless of heritage/religion

[QUOTE=Tanginius]Ron Paul hits back last night. On CNN regarding Giuliani's debate comments: "I think he's going to have to back away from his statement pretty soon, because I found two very clear quotes in the 9/11 Commission report that says that very thing, that our foreign policy has a very great deal to do with their willingness and desire to commit suicide terrorism. So, I would suggest that he read the 9/11 Commission report"[/QUOTE]

Just a question, what did our foreign policy have to do with the murder of the Austrialians in a Disco? What did our policy have to do with what's going on in Darfur and all over Africa? What does our foreign policy have to do with the fact that Hamas and Fatah are murdering each other as we speak over their own power struggle?

What does our putting the Shah in power have to do with the failure of the current Iranian revolution and their support of terriorist activities all over the ME and the globe?

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]Just a question, what did our foreign policy have to do with the murder of the Austrialians in a Disco? What did our policy have to do with what's going on in Darfur and all over Africa? What does our foreign policy have to do with the fact that Hamas and Fatah are murdering each other as we speak over their own power struggle?

What does our putting the Shah in power have to do with the failure of the current Iranian revolution and their support of terriorist activities all over the ME and the globe?[/QUOTE]

Commit suicide terrorism against [B]Americans[/B] and there interests. Sh** happens but our forgein policy is making MORE of it happen.