Thread: But Remember, the rats Support The Troops- Culture of Hypocrisy Strikes Again!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

But Remember, the rats Support The Troops- Culture of Hypocrisy Strikes Again!

[QUOTE] Congress fails family of fallen Iowa soldier- Politics trumps doing right by surviving child.

REGISTER EDITORIAL BOARD

May 18, 2007

Susan Jaenke traveled to Washington last month to ask lawmakers for help after her daughter was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. Before her death, Navy reservist Jaime Jaenke wrote a letter to her mother, telling her she wanted the military's $100,000 "death gratuity" to be given to her parents to help raise her daughter, Kayla.

But the law requires money to go first to a spouse or child. Kayla - not her grandparents - collected the $100,000, which goes into a trust until she's 18.

Jaime Jaenke's military paychecks had been helping the family make ends meet. When she died, the money stopped coming. Now the grandparents can't use the death benefit to cover expenses for Kayla, who is 10.

It's an obvious case of the law not working for families - families whose loved ones died in the line of duty. It an obvious problem Congress needs to fix.

But it's also painfully obvious there is something wrong in Washington. Partisan politics have prevented this Iowa family and others like it from getting help.

Lawmakers should put aside politics and help the people they were elected to serve.

[B]In February, Iowa Republican Rep. Tom Latham introduced a bill to allow service members to designate a parent, brother or sister who has custody of a service member's minor child as the recipient of the death benefit.[/B]

Passing it is a no-brainer. Like the Jaenkes, more than 140 families around the country have had trouble collecting benefits to help care for the children of fallen soldiers, Latham says. Lawmakers even apologized to Susan Jaenke after she testified.

But apparently being sorry doesn't trump partisan bickering in Congress.

[B]On Tuesday, the House Rules Committee voted straight down party lines to block consideration of Latham's bill. Nine Democrats voted against it; four Republicans for it. Every Republican-proposed amendment was killed, according to James Carstensen, director of communications for Latham.[/B]

The vote "speaks volumes about how blind partisanship continues to block consideration of this legislation - legislation which is not controversial other than the author has an R behind his name in a body controlled by those with a D behind their names," he said.

This Iowa family has suffered enough. They've lost a loved one. They've navigated the bureaucratic nightmare of the U.S. government. They've hired a lawyer, traveled to Washington and pleaded with lawmakers.

And now they're victims of partisan bickering.

What a disgrace.

Latham has said he will continue to fight to help the Jaenkes. But that's going to require some help from the Democrats in power.

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070518/OPINION03/705180346/1035/opinion[/url]

The Republicans after being in power for the last six years just now thought about what is happening with the soldiers life insurance? I think the Dems are wrong for voting it down, but then again if you pulled them out this wouldn't be an issue.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY][url]http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070518/OPINION03/705180346/1035/opinion[/url][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726]...if you pulled them out this wouldn't be an issue.[/QUOTE]

You're 100% correct.

My only hope is that when Rudy Guilianni succeeds George Bush, President Guilianni sees the total uselessness of the US military in Iraq and brings them home.

And then he dispatches the CIA to Iraq to [b]ruthlessly and surreptitiously exterminate[/b] the 'Islamic insurgents' and steal everthing those animal soldiers of Allah once own(ed). :darth:

Seven more dead US soldiers this weekend in President George 'What Would Jesus Do' Bush's endless 50 month old 'war' in Iraq.

Way to sacrifice Christians to the Islamic animals, W, you POS!

If we Impeach Bush now can we get secular Rudy in there ASAP?

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Seven more dead US soldiers this weekend in President George 'What Would Jesus Do' Bush's endless 50 month old 'war' in Iraq.

Way to sacrifice Christians to the Islamic animals, W, you POS!

[B]If we Impeach Bush now can we get secular Rudy in there ASAP[/B]?[/QUOTE]
    Why?
    Rudy supports us being in Iraq. He will continue Dubyas policies and keep is in Iraq for "as long as it takes" whatever that means.

Rudy isn't a Jesus Freak like mushhead let's all turn-the-other-cheek Born Again Christian George Bush is.

Rudy also strikes me as an impatient, practical, the-end-justifies-the-means common sense decision maker who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Sure, candidate Guilianni is saying the correct campaign pro-Iraq slogans right now but once he's in office I expect he'll take the kid gloves off.

If a democrat wins the White House in 2008 I'm moving to a cave in the mountains of the Adirondacks or Catskills!

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Rudy isn't a Jesus Freak like mushhead let's all turn-the-other-cheek Born Again Christian George Bush is.

Rudy also strikes me as an [B]impatient[/B], practical, the-end-justifies-the-means common sense decision maker who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Sure, candidate Guilianni is saying the correct campaign pro-Iraq slogans right now but once he's in office I expect he'll take the kid gloves off.

If a democrat wins the White House in 2008 I'm moving to a cave in the mountains of the Adirondacks or Catskills![/QUOTE]

Since when does George Bush believe in "turn the other cheek"???

Being impatient is not a good quality for the next president of the USA. Being impatient leads to knee jerk reactions which leads to poor decision making. Lord knows weve had enough of that.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet]
    Rudy also strikes me as an impatient, practical, the-end-justifies-the-means common sense decision maker who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.

[/QUOTE]

Oh boy.....

Yup! Given the growing world influence of the death-cult called Islam, I would say the USA is ready for a benign dictator President & Commander In Chief.

"Let's get busy!" as President Eisenhowher would say.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Yup! Given the growing world influence of the death-cult called Islam, I would say the USA is ready for a benign dictator President & Commander In Chief.

"Let's get busy!" as President Eisenhowher would say.[/QUOTE]

Weve had a war mongering administration in place for the last 7 years....and it hasnt worked.