Thread: OT: Move over the "Yankee Clipper" Now we have the "Yankee Clippard!"

All League

OT: Move over the "Yankee Clipper" Now we have the "Yankee Clippard!"

I was hoping for a sweep, but Clippard shut us down! Leave it to the Mets to make a rook look like Cy Young.

Banned
    Since someone made a thread about him here is my take on "T-Clip"

He doesn't have overpowering stuff but he has pinpoint control and he showed that tonight. He was spotting all of his pitches really well. His stuff is definitely hittable but he doesn't make it easy to hit as he can place the ball pretty much wherever he wants. Also It looked like he really didn't throw his change up as a strikeout pitch, which he normally does. Look for that in his next start.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-21-2007 at 02:13 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    W/E it is one game, lets not start making his Yankeeography yet. I was at the game it looked like the hitters were bailing out on his inside fastball that seemed to move over the corner and he got a couple of called 3rd strikes that way. The biggest AB of the game was vs. Reyes after the walked Maine to load the bases, 3-1 count and Reyes pops one up. Hey 2/3 isn't terrible at all, we gained a game on ATL this weekend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    W/E it is one game, lets not start making his Yankeeography yet. I was at the game it looked like the hitters were bailing out on his inside fastball that seemed to move over the corner and he got a couple of called 3rd strikes that way. The biggest AB of the game was vs. Reyes after the walked Maine to load the bases, 3-1 count and Reyes pops one up. Hey 2/3 isn't terrible at all, we gained a game on ATL this weekend.
    As a Yankee fan the young pitching talent the Yankees have is all I have left to hold on to. Leave me be!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    As a Yankee fan the young pitching talent the Yankees have is all I have left to hold on to. Leave me be!
    The Yankees lineup is still amazing. Best in the league IMO, Abreu isn't going to hit .230 and Damon is going to get it going soon. They'll score a ton of runs.

All League
    The kid has his hof moment. At best he will be a 500 pitcher and I don't see him staying with the Yanks. But who knows??

As far as the Yanks I have always said they are too good to keep down. This upcoming series with Boston is big...

Veteran
    We got this game over in England really impressive outing by Clippard. Dosen't have overpowering stuff but had good command on all his pitches, his best pitch is that nasty curve he got Reyes out with in the 1st.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    This upcoming series with Boston is big...
    Its HUGE!

If the Yanks can take 2 of of 3, they can move within 9.5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    The kid has his hof moment. At best he will be a 500 pitcher and I don't see him staying with the Yanks. But who knows??

As far as the Yanks I have always said they are too good to keep down. This upcoming series with Boston is big...
    I definitely disagree that at best he's a .500 pitcher. I think his absolute ceiling is that of a #2 pitcher, although I think that's unlikely. I think it is likely he'll end up becoming a #3. Most importantly, his floor is a #4 and he has been extremely durable.

So, the Yankees should have a pitcher that is either a #4 or a #3 and if everything goes perfectly, he'd be a #2.

I see no reason why they would trade that. #4 starters these days make $8M dollars a year at least. Clippard is going to make a combined $1M for his first 3 years of eligibility and then another $14M or so for the following 3 years. You don't trade 6 years of a pitcher that has a #4 floor when he'll only make $14M during those years and most likely be extremely durable during those years.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/0...-shea-stadium/

Here is what David Wright said:

“We had our chance and couldn’t get a couple big hits, and he settled down nicely and threw the ball well. For a young guy to come in that kind of atmosphere and throw strikes and throw all his pitches for strikes, I was impressed. He’s got good stuff. He’s got a live fastball, kind of a herky-jerky motion. He kind of comes at you with a lot of elbows and legs and he was throwing strikes. When you’ve got those kind of off-speed pitches with that kind of control, his fastball would sneak in.”
    That link also has audio from Clippard after the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Blitz
    We got this game over in England really impressive outing by Clippard. Dosen't have overpowering stuff but had good command on all his pitches, his best pitch is that nasty curve he got Reyes out with in the 1st.
    Over his career he has mostly used his change up as his out pitch, for some reason he didn't use it for that yesterday. I didn't know his curve ball was that good.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-21-2007 at 02:23 PM.