Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champions League Final Liverpool-AC Milan pre-during-post match thread

All Pro

Champions League Final Liverpool-AC Milan pre-during-post match thread

Post about tomorrow final here....go nuts
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 05-22-2007 at 12:46 PM.

All Pro
    Early prediction Milan wins 2-1 in extra time. with one from Kaka and Gilardinio in extra time.

Isn't the final tomorrow?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    Isn't the final tomorrow?
    Sorry meant to put tomorrow, I'll edit. As soon as school finishes I lose track of what day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Sorry meant to put tomorrow, I'll edit. As soon as school finishes I lose track of what day it is.

haha, I know how that is

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Early prediction Milan wins 2-1 in extra time. with one from Kaka and Gilardinio in extra time.
    2-1 or 1-0 sounds like it'll be the scoreline, but i wouldnt be surprised to see the Reds pull this one out...

one thing is for certain...i'll be stuck at work for the last big European club match of the season

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    2-1 or 1-0 sounds like it'll be the scoreline, but i wouldnt be surprised to see the Reds pull this one out...

one thing is for certain...i'll be stuck at work for the last big European club match of the season

Me too... I'm going to DVR it, so I'm tempted to avoid this forum all together, as well as uefa.com's gamecast, and wait until I get home to watch it.

Hall Of Fame
    Me too... I'm going to DVR it, so I'm tempted to avoid this forum all together, as well as uefa.com's gamecast, and wait until I get home to watch it.
    could be worse...you could be one of these Milan fans...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...cernet&cc=5901
    Milan fans held up by airline strikes

MILAN, May 22 (Reuters) - Thousands of AC Milan fans trying to reach Athens for Wednesday's Champions League final looked set to be held up by airport strikes on Tuesday.

A protest by Alitalia cabin crews coincided with an Italian air traffic controllers' strike meaning nearly 400 flights by the national carrier were cancelled.

The industrial action threatened to affect up to 7,000 soccer fans planning to fly to Wednesday's showpiece against Liverpool.

Italy's civil aviation authority, ENAC, said it was working hard to restrict the impact on Milan supporters especially.

"We are trying to find a solution which favours the departure of the fans and therefore prevents any problems with public order," a statement said.

"ENAC has already sent to ENAV (air traffic control) a list of the flights from Italian airports to Athens with the demand... that they are inserted in timetables that are guaranteed to operate."

Milan, along with Liverpool, have only been allocated 17,000 tickets for the match.

AC Milan's players flew to Athens on Monday.

MILAN, May 22 (Reuters) - Thousands of AC Milan fans trying to reach Athens for Wednesday's Champions League final looked set to be held up by airport strikes on Tuesday.

A protest by Alitalia cabin crews coincided with an Italian air traffic controllers' strike meaning nearly 400 flights by the national carrier were cancelled.

The industrial action threatened to affect up to 7,000 soccer fans planning to fly to Wednesday's showpiece against Liverpool.

Italy's civil aviation authority, ENAC, said it was working hard to restrict the impact on Milan supporters especially.

"We are trying to find a solution which favours the departure of the fans and therefore prevents any problems with public order," a statement said.

"ENAC has already sent to ENAV (air traffic control) a list of the flights from Italian airports to Athens with the demand... that they are inserted in timetables that are guaranteed to operate."

Milan, along with Liverpool, have only been allocated 17,000 tickets for the match.

ohhh man, that sucks. Imagine being stuck in an airport with 7000 pissed off soccer fans.

Veteran

Milan wins 3-1

liverpool takes it 2-1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Babe
    although i am a juve fan...i'm rooting for milan, because i always root for the italian team.
    I will root for Liverpool but I'm sure that Milan will win, I hate them: I don't have cousins!

Quote Originally Posted by Licurgo
    I will root for Liverpool but I'm sure that Milan will win, I hate them: I don't have cousins!

it should be an exciting match, paesano

I think it will be as dull as ditchwater, not that I give a sh*t, as I don't care how Liverpool win!

The game will feature packed midfields: if any sparkling play is to come it will come from the wide players. The two managers are superb defensive coaches, and I think defense will reign in this match, unlike their previous final matchup in Istanbul in 2005.

Waaaaaaaaaaaalk Oooooooooon! Waaaaaaaaaaaalk Oooooooooooon!

Wiiiiiiiiith Hooope, iiiin Youuur Heeeart!

Veteran
    Good luck paesano but forza Liverpool!!!!

Liverpool's Biggest Nightmare
    Wednesday, 23 May 2007

by Paolo Menicucci from Athens

Up against Kaká, you always have the same dilemma. Do you man-mark him or treat him like any other player and not change your tactics? Do the former and you lose a creative edge in midfield, risk the latter and the stakes are high as you strive to silence one of the world's best players.

Risk aversion
    Liverpool FC boss Rafael Benítez looks set to choose the second option as his side attempt to defeat AC Milan and win the UEFA Champions League for the second time in three seasons in Athens on Wednesday. "We know Kaká is a very good player, but our system is not to mark him individually," Benítez said. "We mark zonally and try to control the play, the ball and the space." Time will tell if the Spaniard is right, but statistics, for what they are worth, might suggest a different approach. Kaká is largely marked man-to-man in Serie A and as a result, has scored just eight goals in 31 appearances this term. In the UEFA Champions League, where he invariably encounters a zonal defence, the 25-year-old Brazilian international has registered ten times in 14 matches. "In Europe no team marks me man-to-man," Kaká said. "I'm sure it will be the same against Liverpool."

Lethal
    Kaká has been particularly lethal against British teams this season, hitting the only goal of the tie against Celtic FC in the Round of 16 before adding three more in the 5-3 aggregate win over Manchester United FC in the semi-finals. "I don't know if there are particular reasons for this but I have always played well against British opponents and I hope to do it again," the forward said. According to Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti, however, Liverpool are not a classic British side. "I think the only really British team we faced on the way to the final was Celtic," he said. "United play a more flamboyant style of football while Liverpool rely mostly on a solid defence and counterattack. Against Liverpool we will not have the same space we had against United."

Threat
    Space is exactly what you don't want to give to a player with the pace and technique of Kaká. Benítez knows it better than most. The Brazilian ran the show in the first half against Liverpool in 2005 when Milan jumped into a 3-0 lead; it was only after the interval when Benítez introduced Dietmar Hamann to bolster his midfield that the English club gained a foothold in the game. On the other hand, with the likes of Clarence Seedorf thriving in the room opened up by Kaká, paying the Brazilian too much attention can create problems of its own. Man-to-man or zonal defence, holding midfielder Javier Mascherano will have his hands full on Wednesday – not to mention centre-backs Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger every time the Milan No22 gets the ball.

©uefa.com 1998-2007. All rights reserved.

Kaka will be the key to a Milan victory today.

Kaka will be the key to a Milan victory today.
    Kaka will have to be Superman to be as influential as he has been in other European ties this season. Liverpool's midfield are packed and very hard to crack, especially with Mascherano in there.

Don't get me wrong, Kaka is an awesome player, but it's going to be very hard for him with 3 players biting at his heels every time he gets the ball.

less than 30 min to kickoff

Almost time for the match... I have this thing recording at home so I'm going to try to shut myself out of all news or updates

All League
    Go on Liverpool!