Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comey testifies: hospital incident

Comey testifies: hospital incident

from salon.com. Pretty outrageous stuff.

[quote]The call came at 8 p.m., Wednesday, March 10, 2004. Attorney General John Ashcroft was in the hospital, struck with a life-threatening case of pancreatitis. Deputy Attorney General James B. Comey was just leaving his office, being chauffeured by his security detail.

"I remember exactly where I was, on Constitution Avenue," Comey testified Tuesday morning before the Senate Judiciary Committee. "And [I] got a call from Attorney General Ashcroft's chief of staff telling me that he had gotten a call."

So begins a remarkable tale that nearly led to the resignation of the Justice Department's senior leadership, an ordeal that was recounted in great detail for the first time Tuesday. Two senior White House officials, Andrew Card and Alberto Gonzales, were headed to Ashcroft's hospital bed, despite the instructions of his wife that there would be no phone calls or visitors. They wanted Ashcroft to sign off on the secret National Security Agency wiretapping program, a program that Ashcroft had already decided to reject before falling ill.

Comey was determined to stop them. "So I hung up the phone," Comey told the committee, and I "immediately called my chief of staff, told him to get as many of my people as possible to the hospital immediately. I hung up, called [FBI] Director [Robert] Mueller and -- with whom I'd been discussing this particular matter and had been a great help to me over that week -- and told him what was happening. He said, 'I'll meet you at the hospital right now.' [I] told my security detail that I needed to get to George Washington Hospital immediately. They turned on the emergency equipment and drove very quickly to the hospital. I got out of the car and ran up -- literally ran up the stairs with my security detail."

The story gets better at this point. Comey's testimony reads like a detective story. Minutes later, there is a showdown in the hospital room. [b]Ashcroft, buffered by his wife and three of his senior deputies, faces down Gonzales and Card and refuses to sign off on the spy program. Gonzales and Card storm out of the room.[/b] Card calls Comey and demands that he come to the White House, but Comey refuses to go until he can get Ted Olson, the solicitor general, to accompany him. "After what I just witnessed, I will not meet with you without a witness," Comey tells Card.

The White House meeting produces no breakthrough. So the White House reauthorizes the program without the approval of the Department of Justice, apparently breaking its own procedure. "I prepared a letter of resignation, intending to resign the next day, Friday, March the 12th," Comey said. He expected many other senior Justice Department leaders, including Mueller, to resign as well. Eventually, President Bush steps in to smooth out the waters, overrule his staff and give permission to change the secret spy program to address the concerns of the Department of Justice.

At the hearing, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., who was leading the questioning, asked the following. "So in sum, it was your belief that Mr. Gonzales and Mr. Card were trying to take advantage of an ill and maybe disoriented man to try and get him to do something that many, at least in the Justice Department, thought was against the law? Was that a correct summation?"

Comey answered directly. [b]"I was concerned that this was an effort to do an end-run around the acting attorney general and to get a very sick man to approve something that the Department of Justice had already concluded -- the department as a whole -- was unable to be certified as to its legality. And that was my concern." [/b]

As of Tuesday morning, senior White House aides stand accused of attempting to bully a sick, and possibly dying, man, the former attorney general of the United States, into approving a wiretapping program that he believed to be illegal.

So how does White House press secretary Tony Snow respond? In his press conference today, he dodged direct questions and suggested that James Comey, the former deputy attorney general, who made the accusations, was grandstanding.

"The fact is, you've got somebody who has splashy testimony on Capitol Hill. Good for him," said Snow. "We're not talking about internal deliberations."

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., has already compared the ordeal to the "Saturday Night Massacre," the fateful night when both the attorney general and the deputy attorney general resigned after being ordered by President Nixon to fire the special prosecutor investigating the Watergate break-in.
    [/quote]

transcript link

[url]http://www.salon.com/news/primary_sources/2007/05/15/comey_testimony/index.html[/url]

I read about this about a week ago and posted the Gonzalez being a yes man thread and of course it was ignored. Ignored like everything else because hey the economy is good.

I am waiting for the Clinton comparisons now.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726]I read about this about a week ago and posted the Gonzalez being a yes man thread and of course it was ignored. Ignored like everything else because hey the economy is good.

I am waiting for the Clinton comparisons now.[/QUOTE]

I can't seak for anyone else, but I ignore it because its a total non-story. It doesn't matter. This type of sh*t was so easy to predict once the Dems took over the majority. It's pathetic.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I can't seak for anyone else, but I ignore it because its a total non-story. It doesn't matter. This type of sh*t was so easy to predict once the Dems took over the majority. It's pathetic.[/QUOTE]

yeah 5ever how sad a nation we live in when it is a non story when the Prez wipes his ass with the US consitution. when the justice department gets bulled in a hospital bed by the white house cheif of staff and the president's legal council. What a non-story.

what a shame the democrats won seats in congress, the Gop would have just swept it under the rug.
    Last edited by bitonti; 05-22-2007 at 10:05 AM.

You agree Gonzalez is not qualified for the job he now holds and yet you see no problem with what this Administration has done with the Justice Department? It is a non-story? This Administration has been politicizing the entire Justice Department, you won't be hired unless you are a Christian Republican(also helps if you graduated from Regent). That is a non-story? The number three person was 33 years old, think she was qualified? Or how about this Administration using the Patriot Act to circumvent Senate confirmations?

Then on top of all that after being asked about it, they lie? WTF?

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I can't seak for anyone else, but I ignore it because its a total non-story. It doesn't matter. This type of sh*t was so easy to predict once the Dems took over the majority. It's pathetic.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I can't seak for anyone else, but I ignore it because [B]its a total non-story.[/B] It doesn't matter. This type of sh*t was so easy to predict once the Dems took over the majority. It's pathetic.[/QUOTE]

A Non-Story?? Are you friggin kidding me?

The President comes up with an ILLEGAL domestic spying program that the acting AJ will not approve and so they bypass him and try to get Ashcroft to sign off on it while hes critically ill in some ICU on narcotics. Yeah no story at all. This is corruption at its worse. What is a big story though, is despite being so ill and on narcotics, Ashcroft has enough sense to know that this program is wrong and tells them to go to the right person, Comey who was acting as AJ.

Non-Story? Only for a blinded partisan , Bush appologist like yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    [IMG]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/378777b~Chimpanzee-with-its-Fingers-in-its-Ears-Posters.jpg[/IMG]

[B]LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!![/B]

Hall Of Fame
    Uh, it is a non-story, sorry. It just doesn't matter. You guys are mouth-foamers about Bush, you are deranged and not worth listening to. Other topics, you just approach being rational..but anything having to do with Bush sends you guys into a tizzy. It's funny. Words cannot possibly describe how much I do not care about this 'story.'

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Uh, it is a non-story, sorry. It just doesn't matter. You guys are mouth-foamers about Bush, you are deranged and not worth listening to. Other topics, you just approach being rational..but anything having to do with Bush sends you guys into a tizzy. It's funny. Words cannot possibly describe how much I do not care about this 'story.'[/QUOTE]

The Quintisential "mouth Foamer" response.
    I dont care about this story becasue, because, because...you guys just hate Bush.

We can only hope the elections will change things. But I am afraid will change parties but will things really change at all!

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Uh, it is a non-story, sorry. It just doesn't matter. You guys are mouth-foamers about Bush, you are deranged and not worth listening to. Other topics, you just approach being rational..but anything having to do with Bush sends you guys into a tizzy. It's funny. Words cannot possibly describe how much I do not care about this 'story.'[/QUOTE]

The GOP should switch its mascot to the ostrich from the elephant, because the few remaining Bush supporters sure do have their heads in the sand.

George I have never seen a more blindly partisan statement in this forum then this right here (and that's saying a lot). Didn't your law school education teach you anything about our Constitution?

Maybe there are so many Bush haters because of his actions and the way he governs? Ever think of that?

This is so not a non-story. To blame this on partisan politics is to be totally blind to reality and the principles of our Constitution.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=cr726]I read about this about a week ago and posted the Gonzalez being a yes man thread and of course it was ignored. Ignored like everything else because hey the economy is good.

I am waiting for the Clinton comparisons now.[/QUOTE]

Well, not to speak for anyone else, but I ignore most of these stories because I am waiting for the Election. No sense getting frothed up at this point, late in the game.

We'll see how the next administration handles Terrorism, the War in Iraq and the various other issues that hurt us today (immigration for example).

Bush is a failure. Said and said. So what's next then?

[QUOTE=Warfish] So what's next then?[/QUOTE]

keep track of stories like these so that the next person, whoever they might be, whatever party they come from, can attempt to undo the damage.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]George I have never seen a more blindly partisan statement in this forum then this right here (and that's saying a lot). Didn't your law school education teach you anything about our Constitution?

Maybe there are so many Bush haters because of his actions and the way he governs? Ever think of that?

This is so not a non-story. To blame this on partisan politics is to be totally blind to reality and the principles of our Constitution.[/QUOTE]

The reporting of this 'story' is hilarious. Two seconds' worth of time will tell you there is nothing there. The NSA surveillance program began long before this 'fateful night' (about 2 years) and has to be re-certified every 45 days and Ashcroft had done that about [B]20 times [/B] prior to this 'fateful night.' The DOJ had consistently been reaffirming its legality, as had Ashcroft. Then, on the same day Ashcrfot takes ill, Comey says he won't sign off on something Ashcroft had signed on to many times, so Card and AG go to Ashcroft to see what's what. Ashcroft says he agrees with Comey because the DOJ had done some investogation and then they all have a big powwow with Bush and Mueller and Bush tells Comey to do 'what he thinks is right.' So, Bush authorizes the same program that had been approved for over 2 years and then they amend some portions of the program to address the conerns of the DOJ investigation and it CONTINUES TO BE AUTHORIZED every 45 days after all of this. Additionally and crucially, Comey specifically did [I]not [/I] agree with Schumer that Bush authorizing the program amnd it running briefly without DOJ approval was illegal.

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING here, period. This is just political theater.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]The reporting of this 'story' is hilarious. Two seconds' worth of time will tell you there is nothing there. The NSA surveillance program began long before this 'fateful night' (about 2 years) and has to be re-certified every 45 days and Ashcroft had done that about [B]20 times [/B] prior to this 'fateful night.' The DOJ had consistently been reaffirming its legality, as had Ashcroft. Then, on the same day Ashcrfot takes ill, Comey says he won't sign off on something Ashcroft had signed on to many times, so Card and AG go to Ashcroft to see what's what. Ashcroft says he agrees with Comey because the DOJ had done some investogation and then they all have a big powwow with Bush and Mueller and Bush tells Comey to do 'what he thinks is right.' So, Bush authorizes the same program that had been approved for over 2 years and then they amend some portions of the program to address the conerns of the DOJ investigation and it CONTINUES TO BE AUTHORIZED every 45 days after all of this. Additionally and crucially, Comey specifically did [I]not [/I] agree with Schumer that Bush authorizing the program amnd it running briefly without DOJ approval was illegal.

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING here, period. This is just political theater.[/QUOTE]

And yet, almost daily, some new Republican reaches the conclusion that Gonzalez should resign.

They didn't want to have to report to the FISA court. That was the issue.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]The reporting of this 'story' is hilarious. Two seconds' worth of time will tell you there is nothing there. The NSA surveillance program began long before this 'fateful night' (about 2 years) and has to be re-certified every 45 days and Ashcroft had done that about [B]20 times [/B] prior to this 'fateful night.' The DOJ had consistently been reaffirming its legality, as had Ashcroft. Then, on the same day Ashcrfot takes ill, Comey says he won't sign off on something Ashcroft had signed on to many times, so Card and AG go to Ashcroft to see what's what. Ashcroft says he agrees with Comey because the DOJ had done some investogation and then they all have a big powwow with Bush and Mueller and Bush tells Comey to do 'what he thinks is right.' So, Bush authorizes the same program that had been approved for over 2 years and then they amend some portions of the program to address the conerns of the DOJ investigation and it CONTINUES TO BE AUTHORIZED every 45 days after all of this. Additionally and crucially, Comey specifically did [I]not [/I] agree with Schumer that Bush authorizing the program amnd it running briefly without DOJ approval was illegal.

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING here, period. This is just political theater.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]And yet, almost daily, some new Republican reaches the conclusion that Gonzalez should resign.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, like I said, political theater...distancing themselves and standing up to an unpopular President.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti]keep track of stories like these so that the next person, whoever they might be, whatever party they come from, can attempt to undo the damage.[/QUOTE]

What Damage is that? If the next President thinks wiretapping of this sort is wrong, he/she will undo the Policy, right? And if they think the first U.S. Attornies didn't deserve it, they'll either rehire them themselves, or put policies in place to limit that type of firings.

I don;t see the issues involved here as being big things that take much effort to "fix" if a desire to "fix" them is there.