Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Poll: A quarter of younger Muslim Americans support suicide bombings

OT: Poll: A quarter of younger Muslim Americans support suicide bombings

[url]http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/05/poll_a_quarter_.html[/url]

The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found in a national survey that nearly 80% of Muslims in the USA say suicide bombings are never justified to "defend Islam," but a quarter of those under 30 think such attacks are OK in some circumstances.

"It is a hair-raising number," Radwa Masmoudi, head of the Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy, tells the AP.

The wire service, which describes the poll as one of the most exhaustive examinations of Muslim opinion in the United States, says: the data revealed a community that in many ways blends comfortably into society. Its largely mainstream members express nearly as much happiness with their lives and communities as the general public does, show a broad willingness to adopt American customs, and have income and education levels similar to others in the U.S.

Even so, the survey revealed noteworthy pockets of discontent.

A quarter of the respondents didn't express an opinion when asked whether they held a favorable or unfavorable view of al-Qaeda. (About 5% say they have a favorable view of the terrorist group.)

Veteran
    Surprise, surprise :rolleyes: I am surprised that it's only 25% I figured higher.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    I wish we could instantly deport those 25%... :yes: Let them live in their crappy home nations for awhile and see how much they miss it here...

Jets Insider VIP
    "Stereotyping" doesn't sound like such a bad concept now, huh? Really. I'd rather LIVE as a smart, young man, than DIE a politically-correct fool!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ChanTheMaster]I wish we could instantly deport those 25%... :yes: Let them live in their crappy home nations for awhile and see how much they miss it here...[/QUOTE]

Words are one thing - how many of those 25% would actually do it? I think you will see the number drop sigfnificantly.

[QUOTE=petejet]Words are one thing - how many of those 25% would actually do it? I think you will see the number drop sigfnificantly.[/QUOTE]
    so what? supporting suicide bombs is heinous in itself

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [QUOTE=LSJF]Surprise, surprise :rolleyes: I am surprised that it's only 25% I figured higher.[/QUOTE]
    25%... are the ones that actually admitted it......

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound]so what? supporting suicide bombs is heinous in itself[/QUOTE]

I totally agree - but IMO if you are supporting something then that means you are willing to do it yourself. Under those terms how many so called supporters would still support it?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ChanTheMaster]I wish we could instantly deport those 25%... :yes: Let them live in their crappy home nations for awhile and see how much they miss it here...[/QUOTE]
    These people should be tagged and profiled for the rest of their time in this country.....

[QUOTE=petejet]I totally agree - but IMO if you are supporting something then that means you are willing to do it yourself. Under those terms how many so called supporters would still support it?[/QUOTE]
    no, it means you condone the behavior for the cause

[QUOTE=petejet]Words are one thing - how many of those 25% would actually do it? I think you will see the number drop sigfnificantly.[/QUOTE]

How many incolved in 9/11?....Was it 12?

All Pro
    I have had afew beers tonight ,so please forgive me for saying this.

Since this was some kind of survey,that means we actually know who these people are.What say we oblige these folks by putting them all in a barrell and blowing them to kingdom come...

I'm sorry folks,but far too may of our boys are dying this way for me to read some garbage like this and not relp in this manner.

Red white and Blue forever.

[QUOTE=Tinstar]I have had afew beers tonight ,so please forgive me for saying this.

Since this was some kind of survey,that means we actually know who these people are.What say we oblige these folks by putting them all in a barrell and blowing them to kingdom come...

I'm sorry folks,but far too may of our boys are dying this way for me to read some garbage like this and not relp in this manner.

Red white and Blue forever.[/QUOTE]

Hey Tin, how you doing buddy? Forget the beers...I don't need them. :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Starkweather]25%... are the ones that actually admitted it......[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That tells me its more like 80 percent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound]no, it means you condone the behavior for the cause[/QUOTE]

Maybe its a matter of semantics but I believe if you condone something you should be willing to do it yourself.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=flgreen]How many incolved in 9/11?....Was it 12?[/QUOTE]

Difference is those were animals that were planted here for an evil purpose. The poll is asking young muslims who are living here enjoying the freedoms of this country. To me its kinda like beer muscles or picking a fight over the internet.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER]Hey Tin, how you doing buddy? Forget the beers...I don't need them. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I'm doing great Ranger.Hoping you can say the same or better.

How's Senior doing.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y]Exactly. That tells me its more like 80 percent.[/QUOTE]
    that sounds about right....

Hall Of Fame
    You wouldn't be a suicide bomber to protect your country? I dunno, I don't think this is so surprising or angering.

[QUOTE=petejet]Maybe its a matter of semantics but I believe if you condone something you should be willing to do it yourself.[/QUOTE]
    perhaps they should but i don't think that's realistic. whether these people actually do it, they support the actions. that's reprehensible.