Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Boss speaks out

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934

    The Boss speaks out

    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    May 25, 2007, 2:07 PM EDT

    Despite constant speculation about manager Joe Torre's job, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner says someone else also needs to deliver as the team looks to reverse its floundering start: general manager Brian Cashman.

    "He's on a big hook," a spirited Steinbrenner told The Associated Press in a rare interview from this Tampa office. "He wanted sole authority. He got it. Now he's got to deliver."

    Steinbrenner's comments came with the Yankees' record at 21-24, sitting 9 1/2 games behind the American League East-leading Boston Red Sox. The Boss said he was encouraged by the Yankees' performance this week in taking two out of three games from Boston -- and he felt the return of Roger Clemens could provide another boost.

    "We hope we have turned it around," Steinbrenner said emphatically. The 44-year-old Clemens brings "a winning attitude," he continued. "I think Roger is capable of sparking the team. He is a veteran and will bring stability. I am happy he is coming back. I love him."

    Steinbrenner, 76, felt "The Rocket" needed at least one more minor-league start to sharpen his stuff, and Yankees officials said Thursday that the right-hander will likely pitch Monday in a Triple-A game.

    That would put the seven-time Cy Young Award winner on track to return to the majors in Fenway Park next weekend against his old team.

    As for Torre, the Yankees manager since 1996, Steinbrenner said "we are not considering a change." The owner did say he was impressed with Torre's bench coach, ex-Yankee great Don Mattingly, and that he "could possibly" become manager someday.

    "Mattingly is a good one," Steinbrenner said. "He is very thorough guy. He understands what it is to be a Yankee."

    Steinbrenner had praise for captain Derek Jeter, who passed Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio this week for fifth place on the franchise hits list, and pitcher Andy Pettitte.

    "He's a real gutsy guy," Steinbrenner said of the left-hander, who resigned with the Yankees in the off-season. "We are happy he is back with us."

    He was less generous toward Jason Giambi, whose recent comments to USA Today that was "wrong for doing that stuff" were interpeted by some as an admission of steroid use. Giambi reportedly admitted to a 2003 grand jury that he used steroids.

    "He should have kept his mouth shut," Steinbrenner opined. "The matter is in the hands of the baseball commissioner."

    Steinbrenner bought the team in 1973 and has presided over six world championships and 10 pennants while building the Yankees franchise into the most lucrative in sports.

    The Yankees' owner is also known for his generosity to those in need off-the-field especially young people.

    He said he was deeply moved by the April massacre at Virginia Tech. The Yankees made a $1 million contribution to the school's "Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund" to assist the victims' families, and honored the victims before playing the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night. Virginia Tech's president threw out the first pitch and the Yankees wore VT logos on their caps.

    "I feel very strongly about the young people," Steinbrenner said. "I feel so strongly about the teachers and the school, all the people affected by this. We wanted to help in the healing process."

    As far as the Yankees' fate, the message of the legendary Boss was as strong and clear as ever:

    "We just have to get out there and compete, compete hard, and win," he said.


    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...orts-headlines

    The Boss is Flexin

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    "He's on a big hook. He wanted sole authority. He got it. Now he's got to deliver"

    Looks like Cashman could be on the way out if the Yanks don't get better. I would disagree with his firing. He really solidified our farm system since being the head man in charge.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    "He's on a big hook. He wanted sole authority. He got it. Now he's got to deliver"

    Looks like Cashman could be on the way out if the Yanks don't get better. I would disagree with his firing. He really solidified our farm system since being the head man in charge.

    he spends 200 million dollars on a team that has onlt managed to pull the biggest choke job ever.......

    i think, with the resources he's been given, that he's done a poor job of putting together a team.

    he's done a poor job of putting together a winning pitching staff.........because, imo, that's what has mainly held the yankees back form winning another WS.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    he spends 200 million dollars on a team that has onlt managed to pull the biggest choke job ever.......

    i think, with the resources he's been given, that he's done a poor job of putting together a team.

    he's done a poor job of putting together a winning pitching staff.........because, imo, that's what has mainly held the yankees back form winning another WS.
    You are telling me the Mets don't spend as much as it takes to win? You are fooling yourself if you don't think thats the case.

    Also we did get 2 the World Series a couple times since winning it in 2000 (Against the Mets)

    Back to the argument at hand, I think it's silly that, if it is the case that if we don't make the playoffs, Cashman is out. The Yankees are still paying for the Tampa mistakes, Cashman needs control for 5 years or so for contracts to expire for it to really be his team. We also had so many injuries this year.

    If Steinbrenner fires Cash, that will be one of the stupiest things he will do. Cashman has completely revamped the farm system enabling us to be very good for the years to come.

    Cashman should have a lifetime free pass for stealing A-Rod for Soriano and getting the Rangers to pay 35% of his salary.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-25-2007 at 06:00 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    You are telling me the Mets don't spend as much as it takes to win? You are fooling yourself if you don't think thats the case.

    Also we did get 2 the World Series a couple times since winning it in 2000 (Against the Mets)

    Back to the argument at hand, I think it's silly that, if it is the case that if we don't make the playoffs, Cashman is out. The Yankees are still paying for the Tampa mistakes, Cashman needs control for 5 years or so for contracts to expire for it to really be his team. We also had so many injuries this year.

    If Steinbrenner fires Cash, that will be one of the stupiest things he will do. Cashman has completely revamped the farm system enabling us to be very good for the years to come.

    Cashman should have a lifetime free pass for stealing A-Rod for Soriano and getting the Rangers to pay 35% of his salary.

    He should then have that pass revoked for paying 46 million for Igawa who is pitching in single A....

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers
    He should then have that pass revoked for paying 46 million for Igawa who is pitching in single A....
    Kei Igawa is starting in AAA Scranton on Tuesday.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    We also had so many injuries this year.


    come on now.......that's an excuse...

    mets have been playing with 2 of their starting pitchers gone.....

    yeah we get one back tonight, but we don't get the other back till august

    we also are missing a big part of the lineup in alou

    valentin in gone for the year

    delgado has, for all intents and purposes, been gone

    we're also missing a big part of our bullpen in sanchez and mota.....

    through all this the mets still have the second best record in baseball.......

    almost every team has adversity throughout the year....sorry but i don't buy that injury excuse at all

    you guys have a 200 million payroll and then sign clemens for like 20 million for the year

    guaranteed the yankees try to pick up a big name by the trading deadline

    for that much money you should be bale to play through some injuries, i don't feel sorry for the yankees one stinking bit......matter of fact if it weren't fo a-rod having such a dominant april you guys woul dlikely have around 3 or 4 more losses......not exactly an impressive performance from the 200 million dollar team

    hell if the million dollar man was this much of a disappointment they probably would have shot him

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    come on now.......that's an excuse...

    mets have been playing with 2 of their starting pitchers gone.....

    yeah we get one back tonight, but we don't get the other back till august

    we also are missing a big part of the lineup in alou

    valentin in gone for the year

    delgado has, for all intents and purposes, been gone

    we're also missing a big part of our bullpen in sanchez and mota.....

    through all this the mets still have the second best record in baseball.......

    almost every team has adversity throughout the year....sorry but i don't buy that injury excuse at all

    you guys have a 200 million payroll and then sign clemens for like 20 million for the year

    guaranteed the yankees try to pick up a big name by the trading deadline

    for that much money you should be bale to play through some injuries, i don't feel sorry for the yankees one stinking bit......matter of fact if it weren't fo a-rod having such a dominant april you guys woul dlikely have around 3 or 4 more losses......not exactly an impressive performance from the 200 million dollar team

    hell if the million dollar man was this much of a disappointment they probably would have shot him


    WOW! 2 starting pitchers have been injured? How can you continue on?

    I'm not trying to make excuses for the Yankees, If you notice mentioning injuries was a small part of my original post. But lets be honest here. You injuries do not compare to the Yankees. I have never seen so many injuries to a rotation in my life.

    Here are the following starting pitchers that are or have been on the DL for the Yankees.

    Wang
    Mussina
    Karstens
    Hughes
    Pavano
    Rasner

    and Sanchez who would have been called up to replace one of those injured starters is on the DL The people the Yankees brought up to replace guys have gone in the DL! Your injuries are a far cry from what the Yankees have gone through thus far

    And since you brought up players that might as well be on the DL at some point, How about Abreu, Cano, Giambi, and Mientkiewicz. They have looked lost at times.

    Add Igawa to that list might as well be on the DL.

    How can you bring up Clemens and "Big Name" when they haven't thrown an inning for us?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-25-2007 at 07:49 PM.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Wang - Healthy Now when the Yankees are still sucking.
    Mussina - Healthy Now when the Yankees are still sucking.
    Pavano - Always Injured, the Yankees should have had the foresight to build up quality depth for this yearly occurance.
    Karstens - Would be in the Minor Leagues if Pavano was healthy.
    Hughes - Would be in the Minor Leagues if Pavano or Karstens was healthy.
    Rasner - Would be in the Minor Leagues if Pavano or Karstens or Hughes was healthy.
    The Injuries to Pedro, El Duque, and Dave Williams > Karstens, Hughes, Pavano, Rasner, Sanchez. (All the players who were on the disabled list as of Yesterday) Quality over Quantity.

    And since you brought up players that might as well be on the DL at some point, How about Abreu, Cano, and Giambi. They have looked lost at times.

    Add Igawa to that list might as well be on the DL.
    And whose fault is it that your high priced players aren't performing? I think you have to blame Cashman there.

    -Igawa doesn't belong in the Major Leagues and you guys parted with 9 million a year for the guy.
    -Abreu has been on the decline since Late 2005, why is his struggles now unexpected?
    -Giambi's deal was too long when the Yankees signed him to it. You don't give a player a long-term deal until their Late 30's like the Yankees did as players regress as they get older.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    The Injuries to Pedro, El Duque, and Dave Williams > Karstens, Hughes, Pavano, Rasner, Sanchez. (All the players who were on the disabled list as of Yesterday) Quality over Quantity.



    And whose fault is it that your high priced players aren't performing? I think you have to blame Cashman there.

    -Igawa doesn't belong in the Major Leagues and you guys parted with 9 million a year for the guy.
    -Abreu has been on the decline since Late 2005, why is his struggles now unexpected?
    -Giambi's deal was too long when the Yankees signed him to it. You don't give
    a player a long-term deal until their Late 30's like the Yankees did as players regress as they get older.
    You say the Yankees should have had depth for the likes of Pavano. And then you go on to say the guys that follow should have been in the minor leagues. Well guess what they are the depth, and they got injured. You totally contradict yourself. By the way Hughes is a better pitcher than any you got on your roster, to say he should be in the minor leagues is ridiculous.

    Also how much are you guys paying for that Kaz fellow? He didn't work out to well did he?

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    You say the Yankees should have had depth for the likes of Pavano. And then you go on to say the guys that follow should have been in the minor leagues. Well guess what they are the depth, and they got injured. You totally contradict yourself. By the way Hughes is a better pitcher than any you got on your roster, to say he should be in the minor leagues is ridiculous.
    Hughes will be great someday, but that doesn't mean it's in his best interest to be in the Major Leagues right now, he still has much to learn.

    And if I had to start a game tomorrow, I'd choose quite a few members of the Mets before I would choose Hughes. Glavine, Perez, El Duque and Maine off the top of my head. Sure, Long Term though I'd take Hughes over any of them except for maybe Perez if he keeps pitching the way he has this past month. But once again, that doesn't mean Hughes should be in the Majors right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Also how much are you guys paying for that Kaz fellow? He didn't work out to well did he?
    A) The Mets aren't paying Kaz Matsui a dime anymore. His contract was up last Offseason.

    B) Kaz Matsui was projected to American Baseball as a Future All-Star player. Kei Igawa was projected to American Baseball as a 'Back of the Rotation in the NL to a Reliever'. Big Difference.

    One of the best left-handed starters in Japan, Igawa wasn't expected to come over this winter as a free agent, but his current employer, the Hanshin Tigers, apparently made an about-face and posted him. Igawa is primarily a two-pitch pitcher, with a below-average fastball in the 84-88 mph range with a little run, and a plus 74-79 mph curveball with a late two-plane break. He has a slight stabbing motion at the start of his delivery, but stays on top of the ball well, giving the curve its good depth and creating some downhill plane to his otherwise flat fastball. He also has average command and plus control.

    The downside to Igawa is that his fastball may be a little short for MLB hitters to make it as a starer, so he'll end up a reliever, and probably a good one with that plus curve as a lefty-killing weapon. (He does throw an occasional changeup, but prefers to use his curve to get righties out as well.) The upside would be if his quick delivery makes the ball hard enough for hitters to pick up that his fastball plays up to average, in which case he could certainly pitch in the back end of an NL rotation. He's also an ideal candidate to learn a splitter, although that's a common pitch in Asia and it would be a surprise if he hadn't already tried one.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 05-25-2007 at 08:21 PM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    A) The Mets aren't paying Kaz Matsui a dime anymore. His contract was up last Offseason.

    B) Kaz Matsui was projected to American Baseball as a Future All-Star player. Kei Igawa was projected to American Baseball as a 'Back of the Rotation in the NL to a Reliever'. Big Difference.

    Alright that was just a parting shot.. care to respond to the rest of that post?

    Obviously Cashman has made mistakes (Igawa, Wright, Pavano) but the injuries to the rotation is almost unheard of.

    Everyone was going after Pavano when he was a free agent. It is hard to fault him for him. Who really foresaw all these injuries occurring.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-25-2007 at 08:24 PM.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    By the way Hughes is a better pitcher than any you got on your roster, to say he should be in the minor leagues is ridiculous.

    lol.....yeah cause the guy has proven how great he is

    why don't you let the guy even at least pitch one, JUST ONE, season before you star to make such a ridiculous statement

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    lol.....yeah cause the guy has proven how great he is

    why don't you let the guy even at least pitch one, JUST ONE, season before you star to make such a ridiculous statement
    We will see.

    I'm pretty confident.

    Care to respond to your ridiculous statement about the Mets rotation having injuries just as bad as the Yankees?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-25-2007 at 08:45 PM.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    We will see.

    I'm pretty confident.

    Care to respond to your ridiculous statement about the Mets having injuries just as bad as the Yankees?
    i didn't say they were as bad......i said that the mets have had a few significant injuries themselves.......and not for nothing but not having 1/3 of your pitching staff is a significant handicap. plus 2 of your everyday players out....i'd say that's significant enough.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    How did this become a Yankees vs Mets thread! ughhh. My bad.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Can we please let Torre go now.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-25-2007 at 10:46 PM.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,614
    Up until this year, it wasnt Cashman making all the moves the Yankees were making......most of these stupid deals were drummed up by the tampa crew and George Steinbrenner himself.

    Cashman has done a fantastic job rebuilding the farm. If we can replace him with a GM in house who shares the same philosophys in the draft and building the farm, then maybe Cashman should go because some of his moves have been very awful in free agency.

    But Torre is a bum these days. If anybody goes, its Torre.

  19. #19
    Steinbrenner should have waited to say how Torre is safe until after he watched some of the most disgraceful in-game managing I've seen in a long time last night.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us