Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: OT: Basketball Ratings

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,386

    OT: Basketball Ratings

    Indy 500 rain delay got better ratings than the basketball playoffs.

    The rain delay is a camera pointing at the rain hitting a race track!!!!!!!!

    It is a matter of time before Basketball is tape delayed on some crappy unknown cable channel (Like it was before Larry Bird).

    Nothing would be better than Hockey and Basketball going belly up.
    It couldn't happen to a bigger ahole than Dolan.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckiernan
    Indy 500 rain delay got better ratings than the basketball playoffs.

    The rain delay is a camera pointing at the rain hitting a race track!!!!!!!!

    It is a matter of time before Basketball is tape delayed on some crappy unknown cable channel (Like it was before Larry Bird).

    Nothing would be better than Hockey and Basketball going belly up.
    It couldn't happen to a bigger ahole than Dolan.

    I have never been a basketball fan (though I do like Indy 500)...that said I used to enjoy watching the playoff games on NBC (granted, the Knicks made it exciting and there was the incomprable Michael Jordan)....

    here's a question; how does a passive, take it or leave it fan like myself find the NBA playoffs on TV these days unless you stumble on them???? it's like trying to play "Where's Waldo".....plus- those commercials for the NBA are so freaking annoying.....

    on the other hand NBC has done a decent job with the NHL playoffs....

  3. #3
    The NBA made the worst move it possibly could have when it took its television package from NBC and moved it to ABC, TNT, and ESPN. ABCs coverage is bad. Their insistance one seemingly using one camera during the Jazz/Spurs game was beyond awful. TNT does a good job, but you cant have conference finals just thrown on cable TV, which is where they have been for the last few years. You never know what channel to look for or what time the games are even on. Id be looking to end my relationship with ABC as soon as I can.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,542
    Basketball is not a sport. Its like watching WWE, the kids love it.

  5. #5
    what channel was the Indy 500 on? i assume it was one of the major networks...?

    anway, the NBA playoffs were on TNT...and it's also just the conference championships.

    to summarize...the conference championships (aka, merely the semi finals) on a cable network...against the biggest F1 race of the YEAR...the super bowl of f1 racing...on a major network. that being said, it's really not all that surprising.

    as for the rain delay part, that part only built up the suspense. the race was very tight at the time. i guarantee you that more people tuned it during and after the rain delay than in the beginning.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby Brister
    what channel was the Indy 500 on? i assume it was one of the major networks...?

    anway, the NBA playoffs were on TNT...and it's also just the conference championships.

    to summarize...the conference championships (aka, merely the semi finals) on a cable network...against the biggest F1 race of the YEAR...the super bowl of f1 racing...on a major network. that being said, it's really not all that surprising.

    as for the rain delay part, that part only built up the suspense. the race was very tight at the time. i guarantee you that more people tuned it during and after the rain delay than in the beginning.
    the Indy 500 has nothing to do with F1....

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,625
    Basketball is by far one of if not the most boring sport to watch. People say baseball is but if your at the game it goes by so fast.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    the Indy 500 has nothing to do with F1....

    hahaha, whoops brain fart, i meant IRL....but i dont even know if THAT'S right. i dont know much about racing...

    ...but aren't i correct in that it's in the top 2 or 3 in terms of popularity and prestige for auto racing in the US?? the point still remains...

  9. #9
    After the 90's, basketball has really sucked in my opinion, especially here in New York.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,846
    Reruns of Spongebob beat out the Spurs/Suns series...

    http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...43388513746400

  11. #11
    All in all the league is on the upswing. There's been some great young stars emerging and there's going to be an influx of talent into the league within the next 2-3 years rivaling that of the early 80's, especially with this upcoming draft class.

    And by the way, as much as the average fan loves to rip on the NBA these days; if you really can't get any sheer joy out of watching Lebron James play right now, then there might not be any hope for you at all.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony1x
    After the 90's, basketball has really sucked in my opinion, especially here in New York.
    People in Pheonix and Dallas would disagree. When the Knicks start to win again all of a sudden basketball will be a big thing to everyone here. Ya'll are just bandwagon fans. Just because big market teams suck and the best player in our lifetime isn't playing doesn't mean basketball in general sucks.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    Reruns of Spongebob beat out the Spurs/Suns series...

    http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...43388513746400
    spongebob is pretty funny...dont hate on the sponge

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBuckeye
    People in Pheonix and Dallas would disagree. When the Knicks start to win again all of a sudden basketball will be a big thing to everyone here. Ya'll are just bandwagon fans. Just because big market teams suck and the best player in our lifetime isn't playing doesn't mean basketball in general sucks.
    Basketball in general doesn't suck, but the league is top heavy as hell. It was in no way this thin 10 years ago. You've got 5 or 6 good teams right now and the rest of the league isn't very good.

    People need to lighten up though, the league hit a bit of a rough patch (mainly due to about 15 or so players retiring within the same time span), but it'll bounce back. The draft class coming in this year will be a nice shot of life into the league (on top of a few emerging stars that made themselves known this season), and the next class or two after is bound to be deep as well.

    The age requirement's playing a minor part, but a lot of it is just luck. The league was lucky to get the influx of stars that it got in the 80's, and it was unlucky that they all left relatively around the same time. But they'll bounce back eventually.

    And I can't stress this enough, watch Lebron James and Deron Williams right now. You're seeing two players who are pretty much destined for hall of fame careers. With Williams, I can't ever remember seeing a 2nd year player take control of the 1 like this, kid's really something special.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 05-30-2007 at 02:27 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBuckeye
    People in Pheonix and Dallas would disagree. When the Knicks start to win again all of a sudden basketball will be a big thing to everyone here. Ya'll are just bandwagon fans. Just because big market teams suck and the best player in our lifetime isn't playing doesn't mean basketball in general sucks.
    They would disagree, that's true. Those 2 teams are teams I want to watch in the Western Conference Finals, the Suns and Mavericks, they're exciting to watch. But, we're stuck with the Spurs and the Jazz which is a lopsided series. At least we get to watch LeBron, but it's still kinda boring compared to a couple of years ago.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby Brister
    hahaha, whoops brain fart, i meant IRL....but i dont even know if THAT'S right. i dont know much about racing...

    ...but aren't i correct in that it's in the top 2 or 3 in terms of popularity and prestige for auto racing in the US?? the point still remains...

    yes..the IRL...and you're right- the Indy 500 is "it"...it is as much and event as anything else- only one other IRL race sells out during the year...

    that said open wheel racing (IRL/Champ Car) in this country is in greater dire straits than basketball....so I was surprised to hear that the seven hour telecast of the Indy 500 drew higher ratings then the NBA playoffs....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us