Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Angry What!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Phil Hughes has a "severely" sprained ankle that will push him back ANOTHER 4 to 6 weeks

Now instead of early June, his return date is pushed back to late July or early August

This team is #$@%&!# SNAKEBIT
    The Yankees might be adding Roger Clemens to their rotation on Monday, but don't look for Phil Hughes to rejoin them anytime soon.

Hughes, who has been in Tampa rehabbing a strained left hamstring for most of May, suffered a Grade 3 sprain - the most severe grade - of his left ankle while doing agility drills on Friday.

Hughes underwent an MRI on his ankle yesterday, and the test revealed the severity of the injury, which will keep him from getting on a mound for 4-6 weeks. The setback will likely push his return to the end of July or the beginning of August.

"It's frustrating," said Hughes in an e-mail. "But it's in the past. I'm just focusing on getting back as soon as I can. That's pretty much all I can do."

Hughes added that his hamstring is "completely fine," but the Yankees want him to stay off his ankle for the immediate future. "It just seems like nobody can catch a break right now," he said.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ughes_out.html
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 05-31-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Yeah, saw that last night. It certainly puts a hold to my dream rotation of Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Moose, Hughes (with Hughes probably being the best of the bunch even though he's the #5 starter).

The questoin now is who holds the spot over for Hughes for the next 2 months. (After he can throw again, I expect it to take at least 3 weeks for him to be ready to come back to the majors). I would say Clippard, but he didn't look good yesterday. Hopefully he improves. Igawa is a possibility I guess. We will see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan

Yeah, saw that last night. It certainly puts a hold to my dream rotation of Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Moose, Hughes (with Hughes probably being the best of the bunch even though he's the #5 starter).

The questoin now is who holds the spot over for Hughes for the next 2 months. (After he can throw again, I expect it to take at least 3 weeks for him to be ready to come back to the majors). I would say Clippard, but he didn't look good yesterday. Hopefully he improves. Igawa is a possibility I guess. We will see.
    Can you effin believe this, JWF .. have you ever seen anything like this .. if it wasn't for bad luck this team wouldn't have any luck at all

A Grade 3 sprain while doing agility drills .. is this the f**kin twilight zone!

Hall Of Fame
    Clippard is going down when Clemens comes up. DeSalvo is the guy for now.

Banned
    Here's the part that really kills me
    Hughes added that his hamstring is "completely fine"
    In other words, he'd be called up with Clemens just as I predicted if not for this absolute fluke that pushes him back ANOTHER 4 to 6 weeks

I think you will see a combination of Clippard and DeSalvo for the time being and maybe one of them will eventually emerge as the 5th guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Wow, thats terrible news. Sorry guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino
    Clippard is going down when Clemens comes up. DeSalvo is the guy for now.
    Clippard is better than DeSalvo, who stinks. Saying that, Clippard is going to have to do better than last night. He was lucky to only give up 3 runs in 5 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Can you effin believe this, JWF .. have you ever seen anything like this .. if it wasn't for bad luck this team wouldn't have any luck at all

A Grade 3 sprain while doing agility drills .. is this the f**kin twilight zone!
    No, I have never seen so many starting rotation injuries in the first 2 months of the season. Losing Hughes sucks. I just hope come August, he hasn't had another setback and is ready to go.

JetsFan2012
    Unbelievable! You're right Ham, if it wasn't for bad luck the Yanks wouldn't have any luck at all.

It's like one fluke disaster after another.

Hall Of Fame
    Clippard is better than DeSalvo, who stinks. Saying that, Clippard is going to have to do better than last night. He was lucky to only give up 3 runs in 5 innings.
    Clippard scares me. Well, his windup does. How can a guy pitch consistently with that kind of slingshot motion? I predict he'll have lots of wild streaks and will give up a ton of homers. Maybe even hurt his arm with that thing.

What's the word on Karstens? Done for the year?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    any team that looks to rookies to carry them to a WS title is going to be dissapointed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    any team that looks to rookies to carry them to a WS title is going to be dissapointed.
    Uh, we're just looking for a 5th starter here, bit.

besides, are you telling me no team has ever won it all with a rookie in the rotation?

Hall Of Fame
    Listen, Wang, Mussina, Pettite are all healthy and Clemens will be back soon. Stop b*tching, itís put up or shut up time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Listen, Wang, Mussina, Pettite are all healthy and Clemens will be back soon. Stop b*tching, itís put up or shut up time.
    Correct. You never hear Mets fans play the injury card.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

I hear that, and I'm a yankees fan.

Hughes is a good one, but we shouldnt be counting on a 20 yr old kid to bail us out, esp with Clemens on the way.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101
    Correct. You never hear Mets fans play the injury card.

No one's playing the injury card, or blaming the Yankees record on injuries. It's just another bad luck injury that has hit this team this season.

All Pro
    This is very disappointing news, but we can't rely on Hughes to save this team

Hall Of Fame
    Anybody else beginning to wonder if this is going to become a track record like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood who cannot stay healthy?

Start preparing the 'Fragile Phil' nicknames.

Hall Of Fame
    As a Mets fan, the Yanks have work to do but if they play the way they are supposed to be playing, they have a legit shot at the wildcard. Even the division is a possibility, although itís remote.