Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isiah Began Constructing Trade Offers For Kobe

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Isiah Began Constructing Trade Offers For Kobe

1st June, 2007 - 11:18 am
    New York Post -
    Isiah Thomas revealed yesterday he began constructing trade offers to the Lakers on Wednesday afternoon when he heard Kobe Bryant's emphatic trade demand.

The Knicks coach/president has backed off for now after Bryant changed his minds several times on Wednesday whether or not he wants to be traded.

"For the hour he was available [Wednesday], we all had a scenario and it didn't take us long to figure out how we would get him," Thomas said yesterday at the NBA pre-draft camp at the Milk House Arena at Walt Disney World. "I'm sure every GM in the league had a scenario on how to get him."

If the Lakers were not interested in Stephon Marbury, Thomas likely would have to string together a package of David Lee, Jamal Crawford, Channing Frye and Malik Rose. Thomas said Eddy Curry would not be part of any package for Bryant, his strongest indication of the Knicks center's untouchable status.

"We want to build around him . . . what he's doing and what he's going to be," Thomas said of Curry. "There aren't many big men in the league like him.

"You try to add that player to somebody; you try to put them together," Thomas added. "For the one hour [Bryant] was leaving, you try to put him together with someone he likes."

Thomas has not approached Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak and does not intend to do so unless there are more developments in the saga.

site: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...fers_for_kobe/

ZEKE GET IT DONE

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isiah is an idiot. Maybe the Nets can also put together a package to get him of Jason Collins, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Hassan Adams, Clifford Robinson and Mile Ilic to get the deal done. Just make sure that Boki is untouchable. No way would they ever part with Nachbar. Thats about as realistic as the Thomas trade scenarios. Its even more ridiculous than Mike Greenbergs 2 day rant about Kobe and Bynum for Dang, Gordon, and Wallace. The Lakers wouldnt part with Bynum for Jason Kidd, but now they would part with Bynum and Kobe to make a positional match with Ben Wallace?????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    Isiah is an idiot. Maybe the Nets can also put together a package to get him of Jason Collins, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Hassan Adams, Clifford Robinson and Mile Ilic to get the deal done. Just make sure that Boki is untouchable. No way would they ever part with Nachbar. Thats about as realistic as the Thomas trade scenarios. Its even more ridiculous than Mike Greenbergs 2 day rant about Kobe and Bynum for Dang, Gordon, and Wallace. The Lakers wouldnt part with Bynum for Jason Kidd, but now they would part with Bynum and Kobe to make a positional match with Ben Wallace?????
    Lee and Crawford have a hell of a lot more value than any of the Nets you mentioned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88
    Lee and Crawford have a hell of a lot more value than any of the Nets you mentioned.
    LOL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Knicks could send their whole roster, and pay for the salaries and it wouldn't be enough.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    LOL
    I'm not trying to compare the teams, I know the Nets are much better. But, IMO Lee and Crawford have much more value and upside than any of the Nets mentioned above except for maybe Williams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer
    The Knicks could send their whole roster, and pay for the salaries and it wouldn't be enough.
    That's unfortunately true.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not trying to compare the teams, I know the Nets are much better. But, IMO Lee and Crawford have much more value and upside than any of the Nets mentioned above except for maybe Williams.
    Dude, he was joking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, he was joking.
    I know he was joking, but he was also mocking the Knicks trade offer and I was backing it up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know he was joking, but he was also mocking the Knicks trade offer and I was backing it up.
    the Knicks' offer was terrible, if Kobe is getting traded it's for another stud or an excellent player and a top pick

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Knicks' offer was terrible, if Kobe is getting traded it's for another stud or an excellent player and a top pick
    it going to be Stevie Wonder man. he has to leave. HE SUCKS NOW. I dont know what happing to him. He just break down so quick. Could i call him a bust ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what will probably happen if he does get traded but that's not the worst offer out there. Crawford, Lee and Frye are 3 young players with upside and come relatively cheap. Plus Malik Rose is an expiring contract and I'm sure the Knicks would send several current and future draft picks. So the Lakers would be saving a ton of money, getting 3 good young players and draft picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what will probably happen if he does get traded but that's not the worst offer out there. Crawford, Lee and Frye are 3 young players with upside and come relatively cheap. Plus Malik Rose is an expiring contract and I'm sure the Knicks would send several current and future draft picks. So the Lakers would be saving a ton of money, getting 3 good young players and draft picks.
    And yet, the Lakers need a stud for Kobe. They wouldn't even entertain that offer. Who cares if other offers are worse? It's still not even close.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ Fan18
    it going to be Stevie Wonder man. he has to leave. HE SUCKS NOW. I dont know what happing to him. He just break down so quick. Could i call him a bust ?
    English m*ther****er, do you speak it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And yet, the Lakers need a stud for Kobe. They wouldn't even entertain that offer. Who cares if other offers are worse? It's still not even close.
    Because if the Lakers for some reason can't get a deal done for a stud, the Knicks offer is on the table and it would be better than other offers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was just a joke. Its going to be hard for a team like NY to make a deal for Kobe. The Lakers would have to take back uys that arent anywhere near stars. Say what you will about Crawfords value and upside, but hes been in the NBA now for 7 years and has yet to play in a playoff game. I like Lee alot but if the Lakers keep Odom in this scenario Lees value to that team isnt as great as it would be to a different team.

The thing is the Knicks have no stars they can offer. They have draft picks, but you would have to be stuck with guys like Malik Rose for 2 seasons to make the salaries match on a trade. If the Kobe deals were still on and the price drops there are too many other teams that can offer more. Gasol, Carter, Allen, Nowitzki, etc...could all be trade bait that would probably be a better offer than Rose, Lee, Crawford, etc....Phil Jackson isnt going to sign off on coaching a team that is a bunch of role players. Its why he always turned down the Nets and Knicks for jobs. Hes had Jordan and Shaw/Kobe. The last thing he wants to do is damage his legacy trotting out a rotation of Smush Parker, Jamal Crawford, Luke Walton/David Lee, Lamar Odom, and Kwame Brown/Andrew Bynum next season. He'll quit and the oners know it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    It was just a joke. Its going to be hard for a team like NY to make a deal for Kobe. The Lakers would have to take back uys that arent anywhere near stars. Say what you will about Crawfords value and upside, but hes been in the NBA now for 7 years and has yet to play in a playoff game. I like Lee alot but if the Lakers keep Odom in this scenario Lees value to that team isnt as great as it would be to a different team.

The thing is the Knicks have no stars they can offer. They have draft picks, but you would have to be stuck with guys like Malik Rose for 2 seasons to make the salaries match on a trade. If the Kobe deals were still on and the price drops there are too many other teams that can offer more. Gasol, Carter, Allen, Nowitzki, etc...could all be trade bait that would probably be a better offer than Rose, Lee, Crawford, etc....Phil Jackson isnt going to sign off on coaching a team that is a bunch of role players. Its why he always turned down the Nets and Knicks for jobs. Hes had Jordan and Shaw/Kobe. The last thing he wants to do is damage his legacy trotting out a rotation of Smush Parker, Jamal Crawford, Luke Walton/David Lee, Lamar Odom, and Kwame Brown/Andrew Bynum next season. He'll quit and the oners know it.
    I agree with everything you said there. I was just backing Isiah a little bit. That's not a bad trade package, it just doesn't fit the trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because if the Lakers for some reason can't get a deal done for a stud, the Knicks offer is on the table and it would be better than other offers.
    If the Knicks offer is the best offer (and it won't be) the Lakers don't even think about moving Kobe. Not even close. What is so hard to understand about this?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Knicks offer is the best offer (and it won't be) the Lakers don't even think about moving Kobe. Not even close. What is so hard to understand about this?
    That's not the point that I'm trying to make, what is so hard to understand about that? Never once in my posts did I say that the Knicks are likely or will get Kobe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not the point that I'm trying to make, what is so hard to understand about that? Never once in my posts did I say that the Knicks are likely or will get Kobe.
    So what is your point? Backing up Isaiah? Why? The original post was a joke. And I don't mean an unfair trade - I meant it was literally a joke.