Thread: Henry to AC Milan? (or, "Fun With Idle Speculation Part I")

Hall Of Fame

Henry to AC Milan? (or, "Fun With Idle Speculation Part I")

not that i enjoy the now annual "Henry Transfer Watch," but i figured paulie might have something to say about this...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...250663,00.html
    Milan line up Henry deal
    EUROPEAN champions AC Milan are lining up a shock bid for Arsenal ace Thierry Henry.

The Italian giants are desperate to add firepower to their ageing strike force after Alberto Gilardino said he wanted to leave.

And Milan boss Carlos Ancelotti has revealed Henry is on their radar.

Ancelotti said: "We want to sign a midfielder and a forward.

"You know of the names that are being bandied about.

"There are lots of big-name strikers, but there is nothing concrete as these players are playing for big teams.

"Henry is a great striker and is among those players who are of interest to us."

Barcelona are also interested in the Arsenal star.

Barca sporting director Txiki Beguiristain said: "If he has the desire to play here, then we can see if itís going to happen or not.

"Barcelona remains the same. It is the perfect place for players who want to come here.

"I always say the same thing ó itís down to the players to decide."
    Last edited by deadringer; 06-04-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: fix title

I'm not sure if Gila is leaving, I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about that.

Also, even though Inzaghi had a great CL Final, he's pretty old and this season was pretty much a surprise as far as how well he played.

Thinking about Henry and Ronaldo playing up in front with Kaka right behind them would be pretty damn awesome.

There's also been a lot of rumors about Milan going after Ronaldhino, too. Kaka has said he would love to have his Brazilian teammate on the squad. So who knows what's going to happen.

All Pro
    Henry is always leaving. Year after year, players move to easily in soccer its like coaching college basketball, there is 0 commitment.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Henry is always leaving. Year after year, players move to easily in soccer its like coaching college basketball, there is 0 commitment.
    well for what its worth Henry insists up and down, year in and year out, that he wants to play for Arsenal...but the European press can't exactly beat up on A-Rod to sell papers, so they have to invent rumors...

that being said, the rumor of Henry for Eto'o and 16 million pounds would certainly be one worth taking, if it werent so ridiculous...stupid Spanish press...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    well for what its worth Henry insists up and down, year in and year out, that he wants to play for Arsenal...but the European press can't exactly beat up on A-Rod to sell papers, so they have to invent rumors...

that being said, the rumor of Henry for Eto'o and 16 million pounds would certainly be one worth taking, if it werent so ridiculous...stupid Spanish press...
    I dont follow the transfer wire too much, too many faulty rumors. Eto'o was just linked with Liverpool and had a meeting supposedly and then he promised he was happy at Barcelona.

Veteran
    Next year Eto'o will be a player of Milan or of Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Licurgo
    Next year Eto'o will be a player of Milan or of Internazionale

forget about it, it'll be Inter. They have been collecting superstars like it's their job. I thought for sure Buffon would leave Juve last year and join Inter.

Practice Squad
    etoo has been linked with every major club in europe... as for the Henry Situation its total bs as far as im concerned... hes 29 and signed a new contract last year and is going no where and has plenty left in the tank

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige
    Cesc Fabregas thinks Henry is going to Barcalona.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...436609&cc=5901
    one crucial sentence from that interview was left out of the article...

"[Arsene] Wenger has told us heíll [Henry] continue with Arsenal."
    http://arseblog.com/WP/2007/06/05/ce...-with-arsenal/

so while i wont go so far as to say that the transfer rumors are complete BS, as RByrne pointed out, Henry did just sign a new contract, and has always said that he wants to stay with Arsenal...so unless Arsenal gets bowled over by an offer that they can't refuse (Eto'o and big money, for instance), he isnt going anywhere...

Practice Squad
    one crucial sentence from that interview was left out of the article...

"[Arsene] Wenger has told us heíll [Henry] continue with Arsenal."
    http://arseblog.com/WP/2007/06/05/ce...-with-arsenal/

so while i wont go so far as to say that the transfer rumors are complete BS, as RByrne pointed out, Henry did just sign a new contract, and has always said that he wants to stay with Arsenal...so unless Arsenal gets bowled over by an offer that they can't refuse (Eto'o and big money, for instance), he isnt going anywhere...
    the question i ask is why would barca give away etoo who is younger than Henry, certainly not better, but has the potential to score 20 goals a season....

ps... DEADRINGER where did you get that Sig that says jets,arsenal fan etc..
    Last edited by RByrne; 06-06-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RByrne
    the question i ask is why would barca give away etoo who is younger than Henry, certainly not better, but has the potential to score 20 goals a season....

ps... DEADRINGER where did you get that Sig that says jets,arsenal fan etc..
    i wasnt saying that Barca would give away Eto'o, i'm more saying that Wenger isnt just going to sell Henry, so in order to pry him away its going to require a world class player and big money...

as for the sig, its a series of userbars that i put together using the userbar animator ...you just have to use google and other searches to find the userbars you want to have animated...

Practice Squad
    i wasnt saying that Barca would give away Eto'o, i'm more saying that Wenger isnt just going to sell Henry, so in order to pry him away its going to require a world class player and big money...

as for the sig, its a series of userbars that i put together using the userbar animator ...you just have to use google and other searches to find the userbars you want to have animated...
    yeah i totally agree. i wasnt arguing, i dont even know why i quoted

Hall Of Fame
    more from Henry, who is "flattered" by AC Milan's interest and "devastated" by David Dein's dismissal from the Arsenal board of directors...apparently ESPNsoccernet will be showing video of the interview later today online...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...437026&cc=5901
    Henry slams Dein exit amid transfer talk
    Speculation over the future of Thierry Henry will intensify after he slammed the exit of vice chairman David Dein, saying it 'wasn't a clever move' and he was 'devastated', while admitting he is flattered to be linked with a move to the likes of AC Milan.

In an exclusive interview with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass host Derek Rae, the Arsenal skipper discussed his future at the Emirates amid talk of a move and bemoaned the loss of a man who, in tandem with manager Arsene Wenger, had been central to the Gunners success.

Dein left Arsenal earlier this year due to unreconcilable differences with the rest of the board, believed to surround the proposed investment from American businessman Stan Kroenke.

Henry was in no doubt about the effect of Dein's departure when pressed on his future following recent newspaper stories in which Carlo Ancelotti confirmed his interest.

Henry told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass: 'It's great to hear [being linked to AC Milan]. How can you not think that? On the other side as I said to you, and so many times at the moment, I'm an Arsenal player.

'Everybody knows that a lot of stuff happened at the club recently that wasn't supposed to happen. In terms of the departure of Mr Dein, the boss has been unsettled and a lot of players have been unsettled in the club. So the only thing I can tell you is right now I'm an Arsenal player but hearing that is nice to hear, I can't deny it.

The Gunners' record goalscorer did not hide his disappointment at Dein's exit. He said: 'I was devastated. Everybody who knows Mr Dein, we know that the guy loves football. He knew everybody at the stadium, the name of everybody and I mean everybody at the club, whether you play for the youth team or you clean the dressing room - he knew everybody.

'He's the type of guy who used to turn up raining, snowing, windy, to watch the under-17s, the under-19s, the reserves - everybody - on his own at the training ground and one person that I wouldn't have liked to leave the board, would have been Mr Dein.

'But it's out of my hands, I'm not up there. I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know what happened.'

Henry's respect for Dein was further underlined by his opinion that he, with Wenger, has made Arsenal the club it is today.

'What I'm saying to you is that Arsene and Mr Dein, although no one is bigger than the club, are really close to being Arsenal,' Henry added in his interview with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass. ' If you ask me, they're the two people for me who come really close to ever one day saying it.

'But I would like to say that whatever happened, Mr Dein leaving wasn't a clever move.

'So far I'm here, talking to you, about a thing that happened that I didn't agree with but sometimes that's just the way it is. It happened, and we have to move on.'

Despite Henry's future in north London being in doubt, he sees the signs of recovery for an Arsenal side which has been off the pace in the Premiership in recent seasons.

'The potential is definitely there,' he told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass. 'The signs are definitely there. So now let's hope we can put that all together and bring back some silverware. Man United didn't win the league for three years and finally they did it - who would have said that 10 years ago? So things happen sometimes, you have to keep going and make sure you can be better and have a great season next season.'

Henry also admitted that the move to the Emirates made it difficult to compete: 'At the end of the day, everybody knows all of our resources went into building the new stadium. Therefore, you have to deal with what you have. So that's why I would like to give credit to some of the youngsters. Maybe if we don't have a new stadium, we would have done better and maybe have more players, I don't know.

'Sometimes you can't invent something that you don't have or create something that you don't have, so you have to deal with what you have. We're still playing good football, ok, not winning anything at the moment but you know, you have to give us that at least.'

ē Thierry Henry's full views on Arsenal will be available on ESPN Soccernet Motion on Friday. His views on France will follow at the weekend.

How could you not be flattered by interest from the reigning Champions League campioni.

Practice Squad
    hopefully dein will come back with kroenke along ide him because the ship needs steadying really..henry will go nowhere without wenger and thats that

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RByrne
    hopefully dein will come back with kroenke along ide him because the ship needs steadying really..henry will go nowhere without wenger and thats that
    agreed...i can understand why a lot of fans (particularly english ones) are upset over the prospect of arsenal going from a sort of shareholder system to one (American) owner, but the fact is that Dein's departure has been causing big problems (Henry is clearly upset about it), and may turn out to be the factor that results in Wenger leaving when his contract is up, which would be a disaster of epic proportions...