Thread: Resigning already?

Resigning already?

The Morning News
    Local News for Northwest Arkansas

Griffin To Resign As U.S. Attorney For Eastern Arkansas

By Annie Bergman
    The Associated Press
    LITTLE ROCK -- U.S. Attorney Tim Griffin announced he will step down Friday from the position he took over amid the firing of eight federal prosecutors by the Bush administration, but stressed he was not forced out of the job.

Griffin announced Thursday he was resigning to pursue "opportunities in the private sector." A former assistant to President Bush's top political adviser Karl Rove, Griffin told The Associated Press he would be "leaving on my own timetable."

Griffin, 38, stepped in as interim U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Arkansas in December, replacing U.S. Attorney Bud Cummins.

The firings drew the most criticism from Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., whose office confirmed on Wednesday that Griffin was on the way out. Pryor had called for Griffin and U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to resign.

"Clearly, these weren't the best of circumstances to be working in," Griffin said. "I would be crazy to say it didn't have an impact. It was distracting. But more than anything else it meant that I was here temporarily."

But Griffin dismissed that the controversy surrounding his appointment was the sole reason he chose to resign.

"I think it was a combination of factors," he said. "I knew it was temporary. It was the fact that opportunities have come along that may not be here six months from now. It is due to the fact that when the baby gets here in two months I didn't want to be jobless."

The Justice Department had no comment Thursday on Griffin's resignation. Officials had said that Griffin had told them earlier of his plans to leave.

Griffin was serving on an interim basis and had not been confirmed by the Senate. However, Griffin said in February he would not go through the confirmation process, because he didn't want to go through a "partisan circus." A provision of the Patriot Act now under congressional scruntiny could have allowed him to serve until President Bush leaves office without being confirmed.

Pryor spokesman Michael Teague said the Justice Department informed the senator's chief of staff late Wednesday that Griffin would resign and that First Assistant U.S. Attorney Jane Duke, who worked under Cummins, would become acting U.S. attorney.

Teague called Griffin's resignation a positive development and said Pryor wanted to restore "creditable leadership to the U.S. attorney's office."

But Griffin said only those he worked with in Little Rock know about his performance as the prosecuting attorney.

"You're going to hear a lot of talk from politicians and press secretaries about the job I've done, but the only people that really know are the people that I work with every day in law enforcement and in this office," he said.

Griffin said he plans to remain in Arkansas after stepping down. He would not go into details about work-related reasons for leaving his job, but said he will finalize and announce his plans in the coming weeks.

However, the prosecuting attorney said he was proud of the work his office accomplished in his six-month tenure.

"We've had a great time working together," Griffin said. "The best part of this job has been the people here. They did a great job under Bud and a great job under me."

In March, 3rd District Rep. John Boozman, R-Rogers, provided the White House with the names of three people whom he considered suitable for the U.S. attorney's post in Arkansas. Boozman consulted with Pryor and Sen. Blanche Lincoln, D-Ark., in making his recommendations.

Ryan James, a spokesman for Boozman, said Thursday that the White House is working through the process of naming a replacement.

"The congressman felt that Mr. Griffin could have served in this capacity very well, and also thinks that the three people we've named can do the job very well," James said.

All League
    Griffin's got bigger 'fish to fry'.....you WILL see him again.

[QUOTE]Over the past few weeks, Thompson has begun surrounding himself with advisers who served under Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Among those also expected to play a role: Mary Matalin, a former adviser in the current Bush administration, and Tim Griffin, an ex-aide at the Republican National Committee who as a U.S. attorney in Arkansas was involved in the controversy over the firings of federal prosecutors.[/QUOTE]

He will serve President Thompson well.

[QUOTE=Greenwave81]

He will serve President Thompson well.[/QUOTE]
    Well put.

You think Thompson will make sure Griffen has the correct email address this time?
    Bigger fish to fry? This guy is a political hack who happens to be a lawyer and was trained by Rove.
    He wouldn't know how to charge a flashlight, let alone a criminal case.

This is the same guy who promised to resign if he had to go in front of the Senate to actually be confirmed.

[QUOTE=Greenwave81]Griffin's got bigger 'fish to fry'.....you WILL see him again.
    He will serve President Thompson well.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726]You think Thompson will make sure Griffen has the correct email address this time?
    Bigger fish to fry? This guy is a political hack who happens to be a lawyer and was trained by Rove.
    He wouldn't know how to charge a flashlight, let alone a criminal case.

This is the same guy who promised to resign if he had to go in front of the Senate to actually be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

You seem to contradict yourself a bit my friend. You seem to be labeling Rove (and his followers) as flatly incompetant.....

....but if that is so, how is it then that they have gotton away scott-free with all the claimed "illegal" activity this Administration has been claimed to have engaged in??

Rove must be doing something right to get away with it, right? ;)

I am not contradicting myself, I am talking about Griffen's appointment to be a U.S. Attorney.
    He was Rove's assistant. How does he have the qualifications to be a U.S. attorney?

If it wasn't for the Patriot Act this guy would of never been able to serve a day as a U.S. Attorney.

He was trained by Rove for getting people elected not indicting criminals.

Sorry for the confusion.

[QUOTE=Warfish]You seem to contradict yourself a bit my friend. You seem to be labeling Rove (and his followers) as flatly incompetant.....

....but if that is so, how is it then that they have gotton away scott-free with all the claimed "illegal" activity this Administration has been claimed to have engaged in??

Rove must be doing something right to get away with it, right? ;)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Warfish]You seem to contradict yourself a bit my friend. You seem to be labeling Rove (and his followers) as flatly incompetant.....

Rove must be doing something right to get away with it, right? ;)[/QUOTE]

Karl Rove is not incompetent.

He is very competent at getting incompetent people elected.