Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: NHL NBC Stanley Cup ratings

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Somerset, NJ
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    NHL NBC Stanley Cup ratings

    Apparantly the NHL set record lows with their NBC televised game saturday. The games rating dropped 31% from last years small market Cup.

    I am an avid hockey fan and I am not watching and neither are my kids. The last game I watched was the last game of the Ranger-Sabres series. I would have watched some of the other games after the Rangers were eliminated however due to the fact it was not on my TV, I did not watch. Without being able to watch the first few games, why would I watch a game 4 without being able to watch the other games in the series.

    The Nhl has put itself into a position where you need to bend over backwards to patronize their product. The NHL, due to its commitment to short term cash deals, is practically obsolete. Its only a matter of time before a group of investors who understand economics, marketing and the benefit of long term goals, launches a rival league and kills off the NHL once and for all. As a hockey fan I cannot wait until the NHL is dead and gone so
    i can enjoy hockey again.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36
    Apparantly the NHL set record lows with their NBC televised game saturday. The games rating dropped 31% from last years small market Cup.

    I am an avid hockey fan and I am not watching and neither are my kids. The last game I watched was the last game of the Ranger-Sabres series. I would have watched some of the other games after the Rangers were eliminated however due to the fact it was not on my TV, I did not watch. Without being able to watch the first few games, why would I watch a game 4 without being able to watch the other games in the series.

    The Nhl has put itself into a position where you need to bend over backwards to patronize their product. The NHL, due to its commitment to short term cash deals, is practically obsolete. Its only a matter of time before a group of investors who understand economics, marketing and the benefit of long term goals, launches a rival league and kills off the NHL once and for all. As a hockey fan I cannot wait until the NHL is dead and gone so
    i can enjoy hockey again.
    If you are an avid hockey fan you would have watched.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ducks and Sens aren't going to get it. The "original six "can bring the NHL back to life by becoming winning franchises again.Boston ,Chicago ,Montreal and Toronto have to bring their game back up since they have the oldest and probably the biggest fan following. The Rangers are on the right track and the Wings have been inconsistent in the playoffs which isn't going to help. Hockey fans and the occasion fans would watch a team that has a rich history in the league.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been watching and I think NBC has been doing a great job.I get the canadian channel in my cable package and for the first time I'm actually watching it on American TV.

    Brett HUll is very good.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like
    I' ve been watching the playoffs on Versus and NBC, good production, good games. Too bad the ratings are down, NHL is a tough national sell in the U.S.....does good regionally though.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36
    The Nhl has put itself into a position where you need to bend over backwards to patronize their product. The NHL, due to its commitment to short term cash deals, is practically obsolete. Its only a matter of time before a group of investors who understand economics, marketing and the benefit of long term goals, launches a rival league and kills off the NHL once and for all. As a hockey fan I cannot wait until the NHL is dead and gone so
    i can enjoy hockey again.
    The first part of the solution is to jettison Bettman. He has single-handedly destroyed the NHL with his owner's first mentality. He will never get it. He doesn't know how to market the product.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fans are back and a lot teams sell out consistenly. The problem is as soon as there team is gone they lose interest in the season. Bettman has stars he just needs a new network/ad campaign to market the sport to the more casual fan.

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Putting almost all their games on Versus was a huge mistake. I know a lot of people where Versus isn't on their basic tier.

    And they even lost out on Rangers games THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON MSG.

    Their ESPN deal was probably the best. I loved hearing Thorne & Clement doing games, with Darren Pang.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Somerset, NJ
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked
    Putting almost all their games on Versus was a huge mistake. I know a lot of people where Versus isn't on their basic tier.

    And they even lost out on Rangers games THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON MSG.

    Their ESPN deal was probably the best. I loved hearing Thorne & Clement doing games, with Darren Pang.
    Thank You. I dont know anyone who has Versus. I havent watched the playoffs because I cant. I even missed Ranger playoff games games. Since I missed the leadup to the cup, I had little interest in watching a Ducks-Sens game where the NHL barred me from watching the first few games along with the Conf finals. The ratings are down because of no big market presence, too many teams and a stupid cable deal barring a good portion of the country from watching their product.

    Any other CEO who took a short term cash deal by restricting the patronage of that firms product would be fired on the spot. Unfortunately these short-sighted owners will keep him on board until the NHL just disappears.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Norfolk toooo Nashville
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y
    I've been watching and I think NBC has been doing a great job.I get the canadian channel in my cable package and for the first time I'm actually watching it on American TV.

    Brett HUll is very good.
    Yeah you & all the other 12 people

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    2,048
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36
    Thank You. I dont know anyone who has Versus. I havent watched the playoffs because I cant. I even missed Ranger playoff games games. Since I missed the leadup to the cup, I had little interest in watching a Ducks-Sens game where the NHL barred me from watching the first few games along with the Conf finals. The ratings are down because of no big market presence, too many teams and a stupid cable deal barring a good portion of the country from watching their product.

    Any other CEO who took a short term cash deal by restricting the patronage of that firms product would be fired on the spot. Unfortunately these short-sighted owners will keep him on board until the NHL just disappears.
    Versus was a big mistake. Personally its channel 132 for me, and I only get it on one tv in the apartment. So I rarely watch games. Espn would have been better for them because a lot of people/places will just have espn on all the time. Nobody has versus on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us