Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If the next President could accomplish two major things, what would they be?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If the next President could accomplish two major things, what would they be?

If the next President could accomplish two major things (i.e. legislation), what would they be? And what candidate, if any, do you think would attempt?

1) Energy Legislation (main features): Double or triple the number of oil refineries. Expand Domestic Oil production (Continental U.S., Alaska, shale and sands oil drilling, e.g. Wyoming, Colorado, Utah).

2) Entitlement reform: Facts are that avg. retiree gets more out than they put in (plus interest and inflation) in both social security and medicare (basically a pyramid scheme). Raise the age for both and start the long transition (40 years, etc.) to privatized accounts for both. Only thing to remain after the transition would be part of current system that takes care of the disabled.

Candidate: probably none

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Veto every bill that Congress passes that has any pork barrell spending in it and make sure no new laws are passed. Get rid of both the energy and education departments.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eliminate income tax altogether...

Cut all pork from Federal budget...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see bin Laden's head on a stake. Or better yet, catch him, bring him to New York, tie him up by his neck behind an FDNY truck and drag him across the City. Then burn his children.

That and I want my taxes cut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan]Candidate: probably none[/QUOTE]

Whatever the response, you can almost guarantee that there isn't a realistic candidate to accomplish it.

Number 1 in my book is to have the next President set us well on our way toward energy independence. This action would serve beneficial to our country on many fronts.

Number 2 would be a much improved health care system so every American is covered in one way or another. The fact that 50 million Americans don't have health care coverage is embarrassing and a disgrace.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. End the wars. Whatever it takes.
    2. Line Item Veto w/ Balanced budget/Zero Deficit.
    3. Narrow the trade imbalance.
    4. Expand energy resources towards energy independence.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]

Number 2 would be a much improved health care system so every American is covered in one way or another. The fact that 50 million Americans don't have health care coverage is embarrassing and a disgrace.[/QUOTE]
    There is already universal health care coverage. Just show up at any ER and you have to be treated, no matter your ability to pay.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]There is already universal health care coverage. Just show up at any ER and you have to be treated, no matter your ability to pay.[/QUOTE]

Trips to the ER are the only factors in sufficient health care coverage?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would also like to add a few more things:

Revamped Social Security system
    Truly securing the border and ports
    National ID cards

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]There is already universal health care coverage. Just show up at any ER and you have to be treated, no matter your ability to pay.[/QUOTE]

Thje second part is true, but emergency visits are much more expensive than preventative care -- which the uninsured don't get.

If everyone had access to preventative care, ER's would be a lot less crowded and, presumably, more effective and less expensive.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Eliminate income tax altogether...

Cut all pork from Federal budget...[/QUOTE]

Now that would some hell of a thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Thje second part is true, but emergency visits are much more expensive than preventative care -- which the uninsured don't get.

If everyone had access to preventative care, ER's would be a lot less crowded and, presumably, more effective and less expensive.[/QUOTE]

Everyone does have access to it some people choose not to spend their money on it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Thje second part is true, but emergency visits are much more expensive than preventative care -- which the uninsured don't get.

If everyone had access to preventative care, ER's would be a lot less crowded and, presumably, more effective and less expensive.[/QUOTE]

Most of preventative care nowadays is done via medication and the US is by far and away the world leader in the development of new medicines.

"Access" does not mean what you imply. Everyone in this country has access to preventative care...it's just not not everyone has health insurance. Health insurance and "access" are not the same thing, even if liberals like to make rhetorical points by acting like they are.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Most of preventative care nowadays is done via medication and the US is by far and away the world leader in the development of new medicines.

"Access" does not mean what you imply. Everyone in this country has access to preventative care...it's just not not everyone has health insurance. Health insurance and "access" are not the same thing, even if liberals like to make rhetorical points by acting like they are.[/QUOTE]
    You are correct about access. If I am on call, and someone is in the ER and needs my services, I have to see them even if I know they will never pay me. And I can't even take a tax write-off for "charity care". If I refuse it is my license and ass that are on the line.

Anyone can call my office to see me, too. We don't turn away people because they don't have insurance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No grand strategy here. I've always been about the basics.

1. Make election days federal holidays. We're about the 50% mark on voter participation on the national level. It's also a declining trend and it gets worse at the local level. I would like to see stores and businesses closed and workers given paid leave so that Americans wouldn't be choosing between work and active citizenry. Just increasing our voter turnout by 10% would probably have a strong effect. Albeit not a solution, I think this is one step in the right direction.

Santa and the Easter bunny get federal holidays, why can't the American citizen get one?

2. Campaign finance reform. Getting lobbyists out of government would definitely get politicians to focus more on those that they are there to represent. Less time on retreats, golf courses, dinners, and so on with special interest and more time visiting schools, military bases, hospitals, town meetings, and so on with citizens.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]1. End the wars. Whatever it takes.
    2. Line Item Veto w/ Balanced budget/Zero Deficit.
    3. Narrow the trade imbalance.
    4. Expand energy resources towards energy independence.[/QUOTE]

Line Item Vetos are unconstitutional. The President does NOT create the law, Congress does.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]I would also like to add a few more things:

Revamped Social Security system
    Truly securing the border and ports
    National ID cards[/QUOTE]

National ID cards!?!??! What is this a police state? That could be one the worst move in the history of this country. We are a free nation. FREE. ID cards would be incredibly bad.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan]If the next President could accomplish two major things (i.e. legislation), what would they be? And what candidate, if any, do you think would attempt?

1) Energy Legislation (main features): Double or triple the number of oil refineries. Expand Domestic Oil production (Continental U.S., Alaska, shale and sands oil drilling, e.g. Wyoming, Colorado, Utah).

2) Entitlement reform: Facts are that avg. retiree gets more out than they put in (plus interest and inflation) in both social security and medicare (basically a pyramid scheme). Raise the age for both and start the long transition (40 years, etc.) to privatized accounts for both. Only thing to remain after the transition would be part of current system that takes care of the disabled.

Candidate: probably none[/QUOTE]

1) Abolish major federal programs including IRS, Department of Homeland security, Department of Education, etc. (This gives the states more power and this makes sense since the State gov. knows the individual better than the Federal gov does AND they most balance the budget.)

2) Changing the New American Militarism way of thinking, so we do not spend trillions of dollars on needless warfare. This way thousands of young people do not die, the budget can be balanced which renders us free of foreign debt, and the children of your children will not be stuck paying it all off.

(One more thing) 3) Secure the boarder and stop the flow of illegal immigrants which attacks the wages of the poor and middle class.

Candidate: Ron Paul

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jefethegreat]National ID cards!?!??! What is this a police state? That could be one the worst move in the history of this country. We are a free nation. FREE. ID cards would be incredibly bad.[/QUOTE]

I don't understnad what's wrong with a national ID card. There's already state ID cards, I would think of it as a way for all states to have the same ID...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jefethegreat]National ID cards!?!??! What is this a police state? That could be one the worst move in the history of this country. We are a free nation. FREE. ID cards would be incredibly bad.[/QUOTE]

How does a National ID card impede on any citizen's freedom? We already have state licenses, which the vast majority of the adult population possesses, and social security cards, which every citizen possesses. There are many benefits to a National ID card, and few, if any, negatives. What are you so worried about? The government already has a very complete and thorough background of all its citizens, a card won't change anything.