View Poll Results: What are these 2 groups of countries, and where does the USA belong?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Group 1

3 60.00%
  • Group 2

2 40.00%

Thread: Guessing game

Hall Of Fame

Guessing game

What are these 2 groups of countries, and where does the USA belong?

Group 1
    1 *Afghanistan
    2 *Andorra
    3 *Brunei
    4 *Central African Republic
    5 *Chad
    6 *Comoros
    7 *Iraq
    8 *Montenegro
    9 *Palestine
    10 *Republic of China (Taiwan)
    11 *Sahrawi Republic (Western Sahara)
    12 *Saint Kitts and Nevis
    13 *San Marino
    14 *São Tomé and Príncipe
    15 Image:Flag of Serbia (state).svg*Serbia
    16 *Somalia
    17 *Tajikistan
    18 *Timor-Leste
    19 *Tonga
    20 *Turkey
    21 *Vatican City
    22 *Zimbabwe

Group 2
    1 *Albania
    2 *Algeria
    3 *Angola
    4 *Antigua and Barbuda
    5 *Argentina
    6 *Armenia
    7 *Austria
    8 *Azerbaijan
    9 *Bahamas
    10 *Bahrain
    11 *Bangladesh
    12 *Barbados
    13 *Belarus
    14 *Belgium
    15 *Belize
    16 *Benin
    17 *Bhutan
    18 *Bolivia
    19 *Bosnia and Herzegovina
    20 *Botswana
    21 *Brazil
    22 *Bulgaria
    23 *Burkina Faso
    24 *Burundi
    25 *Cambodia
    26 *Cameroon
    27 *Canada
    28 *Cape Verde
    29 *Chile
    30 *China
    31 *Colombia
    32 *Costa Rica
    33 *Côte d'Ivoire
    34 *Croatia
    35 *Cuba
    36 *Cyprus
    37 *Czech Republic
    38 *Democratic Republic of the Congo
    39 *Denmark
    40 *Djibouti
    41 *Dominica
    42 *Dominican Republic
    43 *Ecuador
    44 *Egypt
    45 *El Salvador
    46 *Equatorial Guinea
    47 *Eritrea
    48 *Estonia
    49 *Ethiopia
    50 *European Union
    51 *Fiji
    52 *Finland
    53 *France
    54 *Gabon
    55 *Gambia
    56 *Georgia
    57 *Germany
    58 *Ghana
    59 *Greece
    60 *Grenada
    61 *Guatemala
    62 *Guinea
    63 *Guinea-Bissau
    64 *Guyana
    65 *Haiti
    66 *Honduras
    67 *Hungary
    68 *Iceland
    69 *India
    70 *Indonesia
    71 *Iran
    72 *Ireland
    73 *Israel
    74 *Italy
    75 *Jamaica
    76 *Japan
    77 *Jordan
    78 *Kenya
    79 *Kiribati
    80 *Kuwait
    81 *Kyrgyzstan
    82 *Laos
    83 *Latvia
    84 *Lebanon
    85 *Lesotho
    86 *Liberia
    87 *Libya
    88 *Liechtenstein
    89 *Lithuania
    90 *Luxembourg
    91 *Madagascar
    92 *Malawi
    93 *Malaysia
    94 *Maldives
    95 *Mali
    96 *Malta
    97 *Marshall Islands
    98 *Mauritania
    99 *Mauritius
    100 *Mexico
    101 *Micronesia
    102 *Moldova
    103 *Monaco
    104 *Mongolia
    105 *Morocco
    106 *Mozambique
    107 *Myanmar
    108 *Namibia
    109 *Nauru
    110 *Nepal
    111 *Netherlands
    112 *New Zealand
    113 *Nicaragua
    114 *Niger
    115 *Nigeria
    116 *North Korea
    117 *Norway
    118 *Oman
    119 *Pakistan
    120 *Palau
    121 *Panama
    122 *Papua New Guinea
    123 *Paraguay
    124 *Peru
    125 *Philippines
    126 *Poland
    127 *Portugal
    128 *Qatar
    129 *Republic of Macedonia
    130 *Republic of the Congo
    131 *Romania
    132 *Russia
    133 *Rwanda
    134 *Saint Lucia
    135 *Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    136 *Samoa
    137 *Saudi Arabia
    138 *Senegal
    139 *Seychelles
    140 *Sierra Leone
    141 *Singapore
    142 *Slovakia
    143 *Slovenia
    144 *Solomon Islands
    145 *South Africa
    146 *South Korea
    147 *Spain
    148 *Sri Lanka
    149 *Sudan
    150 *Suriname
    151 *Swaziland
    152 *Sweden
    153 *Switzerland
    154 *Syria
    155 *Tanzania
    156 *Thailand
    157 *Togo
    158 *Trinidad and Tobago
    159 *Tunisia
    160 *Turkmenistan
    161 *Tuvalu
    162 *Uganda
    163 *Ukraine
    164 *United Arab Emirates
    165 *United Kingdom
    166 *Uruguay
    167 *Uzbekistan
    168 *Vanuatu
    169 *Venezuela
    170 *Vietnam
    171 *Yemen
    172 *Zambia

Hall Of Fame
    bump...

no one?!? bueller?

um... I don't know... let's sat Group 1 for the hell of it

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec]um... I don't know... let's sat Group 1 for the hell of it[/QUOTE]

ok we need more people to vote though...

and what do you think the different groups represent?

[QUOTE=Tanginius]ok we need more people to vote though...

and what do you think the different groups represent?[/QUOTE]

No idea... I'm just glad it's Friday right now.

So, any hints as to how these countries are related? It's interesting that Palestine and Vatican City are in Group 1... hmm.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec]So, any hints as to how these countries are related? It's interesting that Palestine and Vatican City are in Group 1... hmm.[/QUOTE]

has something to do with international agreements/treaties

Group two: Treaties we violated?

Goup 2, I believe, are U.N members.

Hall Of Fame
    don't forget to vote in the poll!

I'll answer at 3pm EST

places that offer access to Myspace?

[QUOTE=Neil Diamond]places that offer access to Myspace?[/QUOTE]

something tells me we're going to need an IP check on Sweet Caroline over here :D

Hall Of Fame
    well since no one gives a ****, I'll tell you...

we SHOULD be in #2 by looking at the list, however we fall in group #1

this all related to countries that have accepted and ratified the Kyoto Protocol/Treaty... good to know we're standing tall with the likes of

1 *Afghanistan
    2 *Andorra
    3 *Brunei
    5 *Chad
    6 *Comoros
    7 *Iraq
    8 *Montenegro
    9 *Palestine
    13 *San Marino
    15 *Serbia
    16 *Somalia
    17 *Tajikistan
    18 *Timor-Leste
    19 *Tonga
    20 *Turkey
    21 *Vatican City
    22 *Zimbabwe

while the rest of the world bands together to do something about the harmful emissions that are controllable!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We didn't ratify Kyoto because the penalties were assessed differently amongst potential violators.

Like a lot of stuff that sounds good, much legislation (and quasi-legislation like this) is intentionally written inequitably.

This leads to inevitable "are you still beating your wife Senator" situation.
    Last edited by Piper; 06-08-2007 at 02:38 PM.

[QUOTE=Tanginius]well since no one gives a ****, I'll tell you...

this all related to countries that have accepted and ratified the Kyoto Protocol/Treaty... good to know we're standing tall with the likes of

1 *Afghanistan
    2 *Andorra
    3 *Brunei
    5 *Chad
    6 *Comoros
    7 *Iraq
    8 *Montenegro
    9 *Palestine
    13 *San Marino
    15 *Serbia
    16 *Somalia
    17 *Tajikistan
    18 *Timor-Leste
    19 *Tonga
    20 *Turkey
    21 *Vatican City
    22 *Zimbabwe

while the rest of the world bands together to do something about the harmful emissions that are controllable![/QUOTE]

Shouldn't Australia be in Group 1, too?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Shouldn't Australia be in Group 1, too?[/QUOTE]

as far as I know... I could've made an error when doing the sorting and copy/paste

[QUOTE=Tanginius]as far as I know... I could've made an error when doing the sorting and copy/paste[/QUOTE]

I'm just going by what it says on wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt I guess...

[QUOTE]The Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change is an amendment to the international treaty on climate change, assigning mandatory emission limitations for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions to the signatory nations.

The objective is the "stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system."[1]

As of December 2006, a total of 169 countries and other governmental entities have ratified the agreement (representing over 61.6% of emissions from Annex I countries).[2][3] [B]Notable exceptions include the United States and Australia.[/B] Other countries, like India and China, which have ratified the protocol, are not required to reduce carbon emissions under the present agreement.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Tanginius]well since no one gives a ****, I'll tell you...

1 *Afghanistan...

22 *Zimbabwe

while the rest of the world bands together to do something about the harmful emissions that are controllable![/QUOTE]

Tangent, I would suggest looking a little more carefully at the actual kyoto protocol instead of quick wikepedia searches. The Kyoto protocol is the agreement of some nations to attempt to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, several editorial articles are available on the net that refer to the Bush administration as being "irresponsible" by not adhering and adopting the protocol. In fact this treaty seems to me to see up a glass house effect -- those who agree with the treaty can point fingers and have someone to blame for changes in the climate, while they themselves may falsely consider themselves exemmpt.
    A few facts for you to chew on with your morning bowl of frosted flakes:

In July 1997, the Senate unanimously passed a resolution (S. Res. 98) stating that it would not ratify any global climate treaty that would seriously harm the U.S. economy or that failed to require developing countries to reduce their emissions within the same time frame as the developed countries. Despite this Senate opposition, the Clinton Administration agreed to the Protocol five months later and then signed it on November 12, 1998. Recognizing the lack of support for the Protocol on Capitol Hill, however, President Clinton never submitted it to the Senate for ratification--a step necessary for it to take effect.

Most nations of the EU as well as other parties to the agreement have not ratified the Protocol. According to the United Nations, of the 84 countries that have signed the Protocol, only 32 developing countries--which will not be subject to its emissions targets--and Romania have ratified it. No major industrialized Annex I country has done so. Romania, which is an Annex I country, ratified the Protocol on March 19, 2001. However, as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) reports, Romania represents only 1.2 percent of the combined emissions (55 percent) required to bring the Protocol into force.

<<interesting, all those countries support, but didn't RATIFY>>

How about this one:

President Clinton approved and signed into law appropriations bills for fiscal years 1999, 2000, and 2001 that included language prohibiting the Environmental Protection Agency from using its funds to "issue rules, regulations, decrees, or orders for the purpose of implementation, or in preparation for implementation, of the Kyoto Protocol" until the Protocol is ratified by the Senate and entered into force under the terms of the treaty

So does this mean that Clinton actually blocked environmental reform??

What has W been up to?? The Renewable fuel standard...

Authorized by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the RFS program requires that the equivalent of at least 7.5 billion gallons of renewable fuel be blended into motor vehicle fuel sold in the U.S. by 2012. The program is estimated to cut petroleum use by up to 3.9 billion gallons and cut annual greenhouse gas emissions by up to 13.1 million metric tons by 2012 -- the equivalent of preventing the emissions of 2.3 million cars. The RFS is an important first step toward meeting President Bush’s call on our nation to reduce gasoline use by 20-percent within 10 years by growing our renewable and alternative fuel use to 35 billion gallons by the year 2017.

Tan, you should also be aware that the problem with greenhouse gasses isn't just 8 years old - rather it's the cumulative effect of carbon emissions eording our atmosphere for the past 100-150 years.

I think before you cry foul on many of these issues (your post on wanting another 9-11 still baffles me and makes me wonder if you truly understand the english vernacular) you should at least make an attempt at looking at both sides of an issue.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Neil Diamond]Tangent, I would suggest looking a little more carefully at the actual kyoto protocol instead of quick wikepedia searches. The Kyoto protocol is the agreement of some nations to attempt to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, several editorial articles are available on the net that refer to the Bush administration as being "irresponsible" by not adhering and adopting the protocol. In fact this treaty seems to me to see up a glass house effect -- those who agree with the treaty can point fingers and have someone to blame for changes in the climate, while they themselves may falsely consider themselves exemmpt.
    A few facts for you to chew on with your morning bowl of frosted flakes:

In July 1997, the Senate unanimously passed a resolution (S. Res. 98) stating that it would not ratify any global climate treaty that would seriously harm the U.S. economy or that failed to require developing countries to reduce their emissions within the same time frame as the developed countries. Despite this Senate opposition, the Clinton Administration agreed to the Protocol five months later and then signed it on November 12, 1998. Recognizing the lack of support for the Protocol on Capitol Hill, however, President Clinton never submitted it to the Senate for ratification--a step necessary for it to take effect.

Most nations of the EU as well as other parties to the agreement have not ratified the Protocol. According to the United Nations, of the 84 countries that have signed the Protocol, only 32 developing countries--which will not be subject to its emissions targets--and Romania have ratified it. No major industrialized Annex I country has done so. Romania, which is an Annex I country, ratified the Protocol on March 19, 2001. However, as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) reports, Romania represents only 1.2 percent of the combined emissions (55 percent) required to bring the Protocol into force.

<<interesting, all those countries support, but didn't RATIFY>>

How about this one:

President Clinton approved and signed into law appropriations bills for fiscal years 1999, 2000, and 2001 that included language prohibiting the Environmental Protection Agency from using its funds to "issue rules, regulations, decrees, or orders for the purpose of implementation, or in preparation for implementation, of the Kyoto Protocol" until the Protocol is ratified by the Senate and entered into force under the terms of the treaty

So does this mean that Clinton actually blocked environmental reform??

What has W been up to?? The Renewable fuel standard...

Authorized by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the RFS program requires that the equivalent of at least 7.5 billion gallons of renewable fuel be blended into motor vehicle fuel sold in the U.S. by 2012. The program is estimated to cut petroleum use by up to 3.9 billion gallons and cut annual greenhouse gas emissions by up to 13.1 million metric tons by 2012 -- the equivalent of preventing the emissions of 2.3 million cars. The RFS is an important first step toward meeting President Bush’s call on our nation to reduce gasoline use by 20-percent within 10 years by growing our renewable and alternative fuel use to 35 billion gallons by the year 2017.

Tan, you should also be aware that the problem with greenhouse gasses isn't just 8 years old - rather it's the cumulative effect of carbon emissions eording our atmosphere for the past 100-150 years.

I think before you cry foul on many of these issues (your post on wanting another 9-11 still baffles me and makes me wonder if you truly understand the english vernacular) you should at least make an attempt at looking at both sides of an issue.[/QUOTE]

I know all about Kyoto as the environment is one of if not the most important issue to me, and I agree 100% that India/China (or other developing nations) should not be excluded... but at least Europe is doing something about their emissions meanwhile the US, who creates the majority of CO2 and other nasty pollutents does squat

I don't get why you're bring up Clinton or W to me? they're both wrong, as is/was the Senate and the House on this issue if you ask me...

as for Energy Policy Act of 2005, the 7.5 billion gallons of renewable fuels (mostly ethanol) is crap and doesn't do sh!t for the environment as producing ethanol, unless you're using electricity from nuke/wind/solar/hydro plants as you're just pumping CO2 into the atmosphere from the powerplant which supplies the ethanol producing plant, and the vast majority of our power comes from oil/gas/coal so guess what is used in turning corn/plant matter into ethanol?