Is there anything this guy won't --and then unsay-- to get elected?

I happen to like this Romney --the liberal who in 1994 promised to be "left of Ted Kennedy" on gay rights-- a lot better than the faux-fundementalist version that's been around lately, but my hunch is it won't help him in the GOP primary.

From a wingnut approved web site, no less...

[url]http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/172449.aspx[/url]

Should Gay Couples Raise Children? Mitt Romney Says "That's Fine"
June 7, 2007

Mitt Romney has made his support for traditional marriage a major talking point in his bid for the presidency. Constantly you’ll hear him talk about the fact that, “I think every child deserves to have a mother and a father." He’s also said before that gay marriage is not right on paper or fact. Watch him say it here. The Romney train has been chugging down the track with this for awhile now. Umm, the train just hit a speed bump.

After talking about traditional marriage at a Concord, New Hampshire, town hall meeting, Romney was confronted by Cynthia Fish. She’s gay. The exchange went like this:

“I am a gay woman and I have children. Your comment that you just made, it sort of invalidates my family. I wish you could explain to me more, why if we are sending our troops over to fight for liberty and justice for all throughout this country, why not for me? Why not for my family?’ …

“‘Wonderful, I'm delighted that you have a family and you're happy with your family. That's the American way. ... People can live their lives as they choose and children can be a great source of joy, as you know. And I welcome that. There are other ways to raise kids that's fine: single moms, grandparents raising kids, gay couples raising kids. That's the American way, to have people have their freedom of choice.

Rewind the tape. Did he just say the following?

“There are other ways to raise kids that's fine: single moms, grandparents raising kids, gay couples raising kids. That's the American way, to have people have their freedom of choice.
Read more here. He’s basically said that gay couples raising kids is a “fine” option. Listen, by posting this I’m not saying Romney is against traditional marriage. I think it’s pretty clear that he’s for it. But what has haunted Romney’s campaign from the beginning is this idea (fairly or unfairly) that he’s not totally consistent. A source inside John McCain’s campaign told me today:

“It looks like Romney’s willingness to say anything was on display yesterday in New Hampshire where he endorsed gay couples raising children.”

I don’t know about endorsing gay couples raising children. I don’t see that. That seems like a pretty big blanket statement and one the Romney campaign will take issue with. But it does speak to this idea that he will “say anything.” Of course gay couples have the “right” to do whatever they want. But wouldn’t a better line to Cynthia be something like this:

“I respect your right to make whatever decision you feel is right. My belief though is that marriage is best between a man and a woman.”

Since he says he truly believes gay marriage is not the way to go, next time, maybe he should leave the “that’s fine” line out.