Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCain staffer: I'd quit to work for Obama

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

McCain staffer: I'd quit to work for Obama

Obama's cross-political appeal seems very real. Even on this site, I see a lot of the righty posters saying they "could stand" Obama more than the other Dems even if they disagree with him.

In politics, a candidate beloved by his own side and not hated by the opposition is pretty hard to stop.

_________

[url]http://wolffe.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=618145[/url]

I'm a McCain Man, Through and Through--Unless the Democrats Nominate Obama. Then, Forget the McCain Thing
    Contributed by Richard Wolffe - Posted: June 6, 2007 2:59:17 PM

Barack Obama cultivates an image as a politician whose appeal reaches across party lines. But even he might be surprised to learn that one of his biggest admirers works for GOP Sen. John McCain--a Republican rival for the presidency in 2008. Mark McKinnon, a senior media adviser to McCain--who led George W. Bush's ad efforts in 2000 and 2004, and remains one of the sitting president's closest friends--has told the McCain campaign that he would quit if Obama wins the Democratic nomination.

McKinnon, a lifelong Democrat until he decided to team up with Bush, developed a bond with McCain over their shared belief in the need to remain committed to the troops in Iraq. McKinnon helped organize McCain's last book tour and has traveled extensively with the senator, offering media advice to the candidate for much of the last year. But he wrote a memo to the campaign in January, explaining that he would quit if the general election pitted McCain against Obama. McKinnon wrote that while he opposed Obama's policies, especially on Iraq, he felt that the Illinois senator--as an African-American politician--has a unique potential to change the country. Therefore, McKinnon argued, he wanted no part in any efforts to tear down Obama's candidacy. (McKinnon, who has previously told friends he was inspired by Obama's autobiography, refused to comment on the memo, as did Brian Jones, McCain's communications director; Obama's campaign said that the senator had never met McKinnon.)

But McKinnon's views have not stopped McCain from launching attacks on Obama. Last month, the two senators traded personal barbs over Iraq. McCain accused Obama of having a policy of surrender on Iraq, while Obama accused McCain of being out of touch with reality in Iraq. The skirmishing at the staff level was fiercer still; an unnamed McCain aide suggested that Obama wouldn't know the difference between a bomb and a bong.

--With Holly Bailey

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Obama's cross-political appeal seems very real. Even on this site, I see a lot of the righty posters saying they "could stand" Obama more than the other Dems even if they disagree with him.

In politics, a candidate beloved by his own side and not hated by the opposition is pretty hard to stop.[/quote]

The guy is a democrat. He hooked up with McCain due to one issue.

Not hard to see him go back to his natural party.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]The guy is a democrat. He hooked up with McCain due to one issue.

Not hard to see him go back to his natural party.[/QUOTE]

a life long democrat for the most part if one took the time to read the article......

to come to the conclusion this represents hussien obama's cross-party appeal is laughable....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]The guy is a democrat. He hooked up with McCain due to one issue.

Yeah, it's not like this guy is a Barry Goldwater Republican.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

He worked for Bush in 2000 and 2004, and he works for McCain now. He's hardly a left winger.

That he's willing to quit his job for Obama says something you don;t see every day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Yeah, it's not like this guy is a Barry Goldwater Republican.[/QUOTE]

If Barry Goldwater were running today, the GOP base would be mocking him just like it does Ron Paul.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]If Barry Goldwater were running today, the GOP base would be mocking him just like it does Ron Paul.[/QUOTE]

heh... perhaps you're right

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]a life long democrat for the most part if one took the time to read the article......

to come to the conclusion this represents hussien obama's cross-party appeal is laughable....[/QUOTE]

CBTNY,

I love that you always call Obama by his middle name, Hussein (which is like "Smith" in some parts of the world).

Tell me, when you do that, are you trying to create the false impression that he is a Muslim or are you trying to play to xenophobic fears of all things foreign by doing that? It's definitely one or the other.
    Last edited by nuu faaola; 06-08-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    another pathetic attempt on your part to concoct more unprovable bullsh!t...

[QUOTE=nuu faaola]CBTNY,

I love that you always call Obama by his middle name, Hussein (which is like "Smith" in some parts of the world).

Tell me, when you do that, are you trying to create the false impression that he is a Muslim or are you trying to play to xenophobic fears of all things foreign by doing that? It's definitely one or the other.[/QUOTE]

is his middle name hussien???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]another pathetic attempt on your part to concoct more unprovable bullsh!t...

is his middle name hussien???[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you don't call GWB "Walker," and I've never seen you refer to Bill Clinton as "Jefferson."

Can you explain why you insist on always calling Barack Obama "Hussein."

It's obvious to me, of course, but I'd like to hear your explanation.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Yes, but you don't call GWB "Walker," and I've never seen you refer to Bill Clinton as "Jefferson."

It's obvious to me, of course, but I'd like to hear your explanation.[/QUOTE]

I refer to George Bush as GWB....obama's middle name Hussien- is it not???

what is so obvious to you??? the only thing obvious it what a complete hypocrite you are....

when someone tried to equate Rudy Guiliani to Adolph Hitler in another thread: [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145017[/url] in typical hypocritical leftist form you remained silent about it...

as I posted- another pathetic attempt on your behalf to make sh!t up....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I refer to George Bush as GWB....obama's middle name Hussien- is it not???

what is so obvious to you??? the only thing obvious it what a complete hypocrite you are....

when someone tried to equate Rudy Guiliani to Adolph Hitler in another thread: [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145017[/url] in typical hypocritical leftist form you remained silent about it...

as I posted- another pathetic attempt on your behalf to make sh!t up....[/QUOTE]

Again, changing the subject, although not very well (couldn't you do better than citing the absence of a comment from me?).

Everyone here knows the reason you cite Obama's middle name over and over again, and no one else's. It's not subtle. Just sad.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Yes, but you don't call GWB "Walker," and I've never seen you refer to Bill Clinton as "Jefferson."

It's obvious to me, of course, but I'd like to hear your explanation.[/QUOTE]

It is fun to refer to Clinton as B.J. Clinton... it's completely accurate, figuratively and literally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]It is fun to refer to Clinton as B.J. Clinton... it's completely accurate, figuratively and literally.[/QUOTE]

That is funny, and, by making the joke, you are merely invoking his sexual escapades.

Good form. I get it. I even laughed at it.

Now, CBTNY, would you be so kind as to explain what you're implying by constantly refering too Barack Obama by his middle name, Hussein, which you don't do for any other politician?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Again, changing the subject, although not very well (couldn't you do better than citing the absence of a comment from me?).

Everyone here knows the reason you cite Obama's middle name over and over again, and no one else's. It's not subtle. Just sad.[/QUOTE]

I'm changing the subject....how fuqin stupid can you be???

you changed the subject in a thread you started questioning me why I use hussien obama's middle name...then faced with your own hypocrisy you try and dig yourself out.....pathetic

of course I can't blame you for changing the topic based on the idiot assertions....

never mind the fact you point to a life long rat who collected paychecks the past six years from Republicans then jumped back to the rats as proof of hussien obama's "cross political appeal", the insinuation that obama is "beloved by his own side" is even more comical...

the guy can't separate himself from hillary clinton (hated by half the party) and john edwards (a political loser the past four years) for the top spot....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I'm changing the subject....how fuqin stupid can you be???

you changed the subject in a thread you started questioning me why I use hussien obama's middle name...then faced with your own hypocrisy you try and dig yourself out.....pathetic

of course I can't blame you for changing the topic based on the idiot assertions....

never mind the fact you point to a life long rat who collected paychecks the past six years from Republicans then jumped back to the rats as proof of hussien obama's "cross political appeal", the insinuation that obama is "beloved by his own side" is even more comical...

the guy can separate himself from hillary clinton (hated by half the party) and john edwards (a political loser the past four years) for the top spot....[/QUOTE]

Since you didn't answer my question, I'll take your defensive, angry flailing as a: "I call Barack Obama by his middle name, Hussein, when I don't call any other pols by their middle names, because I'm a xenophobic bigot trying to score political points with other xenophobes by falsely implying that he's a Muslim."

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Since you didn't answer my question, I'll take your defensive, angry flailing as a: "I call Barack Obama by his middle name, Hussein, when I don't call any other pols by their middle names, because I'm a xenophobic bigot trying to score political points with other xenophobes by falsely implying that he's a Muslim."[/QUOTE]

I answered it several times previously in this thread- it's not my problem you have reading deficiencies....

regardless- good to see you need to change the focus of a thread you started after getting pummeled on your initial premise...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    CBTNY we'll will just say that you are different :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I answered it several times previously in this thread- it's not my problem you have reading deficiencies....

regardless- good to see you need to change the focus of a thread you started after getting pummeled on your initial premise...[/QUOTE]

Pummeled? Hardly.

McKinnon was a Democrat. He worked for Bush in 2000 and 2004, and works for McCain now. He said he'll quit his job to work for Obama if he wins the nomination, which I said is an example of Obama's cross-political appeal.

Are you actually arguing that winning over an independent like McKinnon --on Republican payrolls for eight years-- is not a sign of appeal across party lines?

And what about all the Republican posters on this site who say they personally like Obama and "could stand it" if he was president (as opposed to Hillary or Edwards)?

You've got a funny way of keeping score if you think you won that argument.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]CBTNY we'll will just say that you are different :yes:[/QUOTE]

if that means different from the likes of you and your kind I am proud of that and pray to stay that way... :yes: