Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Joe make Miguel Cairo a starter?

JetsFan2012

Why doesn't Joe make Miguel Cairo a starter?

This guy is a ballplayer, plain and simple. He's a great fielder and has a pretty consistent bat for a 9 hitter. I have absolutely no problem with the lineup right now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    This guy is a ballplayer, plain and simple. He's a great fielder and has a pretty consistent bat for a 9 hitter. I have absolutely no problem with the lineup right now.

Well he has been in the lineup everyday....

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Well he has been in the lineup everyday....

Only out of necessity. Giambi is hurt and Phelps absolutely sucks in the field. What happens if and when Damon learns how to play first?

Banned
    Only out of necessity. Giambi is hurt and Phelps absolutely sucks in the field. What happens if and when Damon learns how to play first?
    I don't see Torre messing up the line up while we are playing this well. I can see Damon at DH for the foreseeable future. We don't exactly need power from our DH since we get it from our catcher, 2nd basemen... 2 positions that aren't usually great hitters.

JetsFan2012
    I don't see Torre messing up the line up while we are playing this well. I can see Damon at DH for the foreseeable future. We don't exactly need power from our DH since we get it from our catcher, 2nd basemen... 2 positions that aren't usually great hitters.

I disagree, I don't see Joe playing Cairo any longer that necessary.

Hall Of Fame
    Cairo is good off the bench. As a full time starter, he struggles. Whether it's because he wears down easily, or the opposing team has a more extensive scouting report on him when he gets regular time, or a combination of the two, who knows.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino
    Cairo is good off the bench. As a full time starter, he struggles. Whether it's because he wears down easily, or the opposing team has a more extensive scouting report on him when he gets regular time, or a combination of the two, who knows.
    Pretty much, Okay in Spot Duty. Well Below Average as an Everyday Guy.

All Pro
    I agree ,I don't need to see Phelps out there any more. Miguel proved it last night that he could play first.

He's a ballplayer because he plays baseball professionally, but he is a bad baseball player.

This year, even despite his average offense (and that's being nice about it), he's hitting .233/.277/.256. That's not bad. That's not even just terrible. That is worse than terrible. With RISP, he's hitting .250... That's not good either.

Since he's been playing somewhat regularly, he is 8 for 27 (.296). And that's why you want him to play everyday. The problem is, he's not going to hit .296 from here on out. History tell you he's going to hit much less than that (and even if he does hit .296, it'll be with 0 power. Yeah, when everyone else is hitting (which they all are right now), you can get by with Cairo out there everyday hitting a weak .296, but when a couple guys slump - and they will again - you are going to need to get offense from the 1B position and Cairo won't provide any.

As for the defense, he's been okay. He made a nice play last night and he makes the throws to 2B. But he's not amazing. He's not spectacular. He did screw up a double play ball a few days ago.

The issue with Phelps is his fielding is really bad. Still, his offense over what Cairo will give you most the time is going to more than make up for the difference in the defenses. Play Cairo when Wang pitches. Maybe even play him when Pettitte pitches. But other than that, Phelps should play.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    He's a ballplayer because he plays baseball professionally, but he is a bad baseball player.

This year, even despite his average offense (and that's being nice about it), he's hitting .233/.277/.256. That's not bad. That's not even just terrible. That is worse than terrible. With RISP, he's hitting .250... That's not good either.

Since he's been playing somewhat regularly, he is 8 for 27 (.296). And that's why you want him to play everyday. The problem is, he's not going to hit .296 from here on out. History tell you he's going to hit much less than that (and even if he does hit .296, it'll be with 0 power. Yeah, when everyone else is hitting (which they all are right now), you can get by with Cairo out there everyday hitting a weak .296, but when a couple guys slump - and they will again - you are going to need to get offense from the 1B position and Cairo won't provide any.

As for the defense, he's been okay. He made a nice play last night and he makes the throws to 2B. But he's not amazing. He's not spectacular. He did screw up a double play ball a few days ago.

The issue with Phelps is his fielding is really bad. Still, his offense over what Cairo will give you most the time is going to more than make up for the difference in the defenses. Play Cairo when Wang pitches. Maybe even play him when Pettitte pitches. But other than that, Phelps should play.

Fair enough, good response.

All League
    He hit .292 as a full time second basemen in 2004. Not exactly shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns
    He hit .292 as a full time second basemen in 2004. Not exactly shabby.
    Cairo did a very good job that year, but I just don't think we can expect that if he plays this year because that was well above his career average. The very next year he had nearly as many AB's (33 less) and hit .251/.296/.324.

edit: And he also gave us that offense as the second baseman, not the first baseman. Fact is, I don't think you can live with Cairo as your everyday first baseman. And, if Phelps defense doesn't improve a bit, you can't live with him either... Cashman will have to do something there IMO.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 06-13-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Cairo did a very good job that year, but I just don't think we can expect that if he plays this year because that was well above his career average. The very next year he had nearly as many AB's (33 less) and hit .251/.296/.324.

edit: And he also gave us that offense as the second baseman, not the first baseman. Fact is, I don't think you can live with Cairo as your everyday first baseman. And, if Phelps defense doesn't improve a bit, you can't live with him either... Cashman will have to do something there IMO.
    There aren't to many teams that have a catcher that produces as much as ours does and we can actually say the same about our shortstop and 2nd basemen. I think we can live without a 1st basemen that produces a lot. We also have a shortstop who likes to throw the ball in the dirt....we need an above average defensive 1st basemen.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-13-2007 at 05:16 PM.

I laughed my ass off at this topic.

Miguel Cairo?

Dude's career line is .267/.315/.359.

I realize he's a GAMER, he's GRITTY, he plays with FIRE AND INTENSITY, but he also sucks. And I think even with such apealling characteristics, you can't suck that bad and be a starter in major league baseball.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    I laughed my ass off at this topic.

Miguel Cairo?

Dude's career line is .267/.315/.359.

I realize he's a GAMER, he's GRITTY, he plays with FIRE AND INTENSITY, but he also sucks. And I think even with such apealling characteristics, you can't suck that bad and be a starter in major league baseball.
    Have you looked at the Cubs roster lately?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-13-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    he's terrible

All League
    Can anyone tell me what the Yankees record is since he took over at first base?

Have you looked at the Cubs roster lately?
    You don't see me promoting them to start though.

Thats like me praying we start Neifi Perez...except we actually did start Neifi...:vomit:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    You don't see me promoting them to start though.

Thats like me praying we start Neifi Perez...except we actually did start Neifi...:vomit:

All teams need role players. You don't need an All-Star at every position.

All League
    The Yankees had a Hall of fame line-up last year and it got us nowhere. Leave Miggy at first for the time being.