Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interleague

Hall Of Fame

Interleague

First 100 games in the books.

AL 58, NL 42

Where do you guys stand on this? Gimmick? Love it? Hate it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino
    First 100 games in the books.

AL 58, NL 42

Where do you guys stand on this? Gimmick? Love it? Hate it?
    It is a lot closer than I thought It would be... Hopefully it gets closer with some Redsox and Tiger loses

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

In some cities it makes for a vital rivalry, other places it's a waste of time. Unfortunatley there's no way to balance the competition. I also don't like the DH. It's worth keeping if only for the Subway series.

All Pro
    not a fan of it, besides the fact that teams in the same dicvision dont play the same opponents, its not an even playing field. Most NL teams are not built to play with 9 hitters. The Mets for example, argubaly the best team in the league have used Julio Franco as the DH. Most NL teams are not set up for 9 hitters and most their 8 hitters arent even as good as the 9th hitter in the AL lineups. Teams in each league build their respective teams to fit their league and style of play.

Im really not a fan and wish they would add more games with teams in their league but outside division, I mean how stupid is it that teams in different division but same league only play each other 6 times a year, alot of these teams are competing for the same WC spot during the year but hardly ever play each other

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp
    not a fan of it, besides the fact that teams in the same dicvision dont play the same opponents, its not an even playing field. Most NL teams are not built to play with 9 hitters. The Mets for example, argubaly the best team in the league have used Julio Franco as the DH. Most NL teams are not set up for 9 hitters and most their 8 hitters arent even as good as the 9th hitter in the AL lineups. Teams in each league build their respective teams to fit their league and style of play.

Im really not a fan and wish they would add more games with teams in their league but outside division, I mean how stupid is it that teams in different division but same league only play each other 6 times a year, alot of these teams are competing for the same WC spot during the year but hardly ever play each other
    Very good point. Also I think the Yankees have only played the Orioles, who are in the Yankees division 3 times and after this weekend they will have played the Mets a NL team 6 times. We also haven't played Detroit yet. A team we are chasing. So stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    In some cities it makes for a vital rivalry, other places it's a waste of time. Unfortunatley there's no way to balance the competition. I also don't like the DH. It's worth keeping if only for the Subway series.
    Come on Jumba, you and the rest of the NL fans don't like the DH because you don't have it. I guranntee if the NL had the DH and your teams were winning games because of it, you'd love it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHT STALKER
    Come on Jumba, you and the rest of the NL fans don't like the DH because you don't have it. I guranntee if the NL had the DH and your teams were winning games because of it, you'd love it.
    Nope, wouldn't want it. We have AL games on TV, so we know what it is. It's not a mystery thing.

All Pro
    im not a fan of the DH, i like watching small ball and think that the pitcher should have to bat

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

No way, I've always hated it. It takes away strategy from the game. It's also not fair to either team to have to play under a new set of rules in the WS.

All Pro
    Not a big fan of interleague play. At first it was fine, gimmicky, whatever. I wish they would have everyone from the same division play the same opponents. If you're in a pennant race, those few games against different (and easier) opponents can make the difference. Id be ok with keeping two 3-game series against a regional rival (Mets-Yanks, Cubs-Sox, etc.) or contrived rival for teams without a natural counterpart. Any more than that I feel makes things unbalanced.

As for the DH, not a fan of it. And its not because the NL doesnt have it. I like watching a pitcher drop a bunt to move the runner over. I like watching the #8 hitter try to get on base with 2 outs to clear the pitcher for next inning. I like watching double switches, and the strategy that comes along with having to worry about the pitcher hitting.

I'm not a fan of it but it's nice for the Yanks to beat up on the teams from the AAAA league.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm a Yankee and AL fan, but I have to side with the NL guys on the DH. I used to be in the DH corner, but as I've gotten older, I have grown to dislike it.

Yeah, sometimes it's lame to see these guys that hit .130. But you can't disagree too much with the "less strategy" argument. I like a double switch now and again. Another issue is that although I'd like to see more pitchers throwing inside to take back the plate, they should also be held accountable for going overboard with it. They should have to hit too, just in case they need to be sent their own message.

But there's something even bigger than all of that for me:

A couple years back during the David Ortiz potential MVP debate, I was staunchly against giving the MVP to him, because he doesn't play the field. It is after all, the most valuable PLAYER, not the most valuable HITTER. Anyway, my point with this is, I started giving more appreciation to full-time "players".

That extends to pitchers, too. I want guys playing both sides, even if they're bad at it on one end. If you can't hit, learn to bunt or at least ground out to the right side to advance a runner.

Bottom line was for me, if I so was anti-Ortiz because he's so one-dimensional, then it's somewhat hypocritical for me to support pitchers that are one-dimesional too.

P.S. besides being one-dimensional, Ortiz is a 'roided up freak
    Last edited by JetPotato; 06-14-2007 at 06:26 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    I also don't like the DH.
    I second that. The DH is dogsh!t. It's a candy-a$$ rule.

Banned
    it never surprises me when the AL wins more games than the NL in interleague play. it's the DH advantage that shows up under the larger sample size. in a 3 game series it may not show up so much, but after 100 games or so you can see the advantage. AL teams pay the good DH's like superstars. NL teams don't have that kind of ninth bat to be able to consistently keep up.

All League
    I don't like the dh either. I wish Selig would grow a set of balls. Either everyone has the dh or dump it...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    it never surprises me when the AL wins more games than the NL in interleague play. it's the DH advantage that shows up under the larger sample size. in a 3 game series it may not show up so much, but after 100 games or so you can see the advantage. AL teams pay the good DH's like superstars. NL teams don't have that kind of ninth bat to be able to consistently keep up.
    not to mention the NL 8th hitter is more of a bunter/sacrifice/take a walk to clear the pitcher type than an actual hitter

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    I don't like the dh either. I wish Selig would grow a set of balls. Either everyone has the dh or dump it...
    That would mean everyone would have a DH. Fact is, the union won't agree to dumping it and every NL owner would never agree to bringing it to the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp
    not to mention the NL 8th hitter is more of a bunter/sacrifice/take a walk to clear the pitcher type than an actual hitter
    He doesn't have to be if the NL teams want to spend more money to get more good hitters.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    He doesn't have to be if the NL teams want to spend more money to get more good hitters.
    They shouldn't have to spend money on something that doesn't belong in the game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    That would mean everyone would have a DH. Fact is, the union won't agree to dumping it and every NL owner would never agree to bringing it to the NL.
    That's OK with me...

The NL owners would have to be pressured by Selig. But again, no balls..