Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teen employment rate lowest in six decades!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Teen employment rate lowest in six decades!

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070612/ts_csm/asummerjobs[/url]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Riggins44][url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070612/ts_csm/asummerjobs[/url][/QUOTE]

Two words: Illegal Aliens

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised to find that a lot of people I knew in college recently had never worked in high school and had only gotten their first job when they came up to the university or got their own apartment.

I guess when daddy's putting a silver spoon in your mouth, you don't have to pay for anything. I've been working since I was 16 and couldn't possibly imagine going as long as some of these kids do without ever holding a job.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a big cause of this and one which the article only barely touches on is the effects of minimum wage laws. When the price of something (unskilled labor) increases, demand for that labor goes down. Obviously thatís not the only reason but itís a major one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    another reason

alot of these jobs have simply gone away

when i was 16 my summer job was to pump gas at the Hess station near my house

by the time I was 19 (and long since moved on to other jobs) the Hess station replaced the manual pumps with the robot kind - a place that used to employ 6 people a shift, now employs just one to sit in a booth and collect money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]another reason

alot of these jobs have simply gone away

when i was 16 my summer job was to pump gas at the Hess station near my house

by the time I was 19 (and long since moved on to other jobs) the Hess station replaced the manual pumps with the robot kind - a place that used to employ 6 people a shift, now employs just one to sit in a booth and collect money.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, they can't get enough summer workers in the Hamptons this year. They are so desperate that several Montauk businesses are getting students from Ireland to come in for the summer crush.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]Actually, they can't get enough summer workers in the Hamptons this year. They are so desperate that several Montauk businesses are getting students from Ireland to come in for the summer crush.[/QUOTE]

Go to almost any Beach or Resort town, and you find the same thing. These towns are all importing labor.

In my neck of the Woods, when you go to Ocean City MD, all you see working are Eastern Europeans, Poles, Hungarians, Ukrainians, Turks, former Warsaw Pact folks, all of whom are young (under 22 or so) etc, etc, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Go to almost any Beach or Resort town, and you find the same thing. These towns are all importing labor.

In my neck of the Woods, when you go to Ocean City MD, all you see working are Eastern Europeans, Poles, Hungarians, Ukrainians, Turks, former Warsaw Pact folks, all of whom are young (under 22 or so) etc, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

which just proves what a joke this article is....

these kids can't get work or they can't get the type of work they want???

kids are not motivated to work in the summer...and to a large extent I can't blame them....after spending nine months in classrooms only a small few are willing to get their asses up a 7AM in the morning and work 40 hour work weeks...

there are plenty of landscapers, golf courses, ect where jobs can be had- if you are willing to work 35-40+ hours a week....

ever try to hire some neighborhood kids to do odd jobs (painting fences, decks, etc)??? try it some time- and after offering them a more than fair wage and setting out the terms as to when they are needed see how many call back and say they have to leave two hours early cause they got tickets to a baseball game, concert, etc....

again- I don't blame them at all.....it's summer time, but don't claim that a low teen employment rate is some sort of indicator....

I guarentee you if a 16 year old is really motivated to work, needs the money and waits with the illegal day laborers hoping to get work he'll get scooped up every day and given jobs...

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Go to almost any Beach or Resort town, and you find the same thing. These towns are all importing labor.

In my neck of the Woods, when you go to Ocean City MD, all you see working are Eastern Europeans, Poles, Hungarians, Ukrainians, Turks, former Warsaw Pact folks, all of whom are young (under 22 or so) etc, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

same is true for the National Parks.

I live in Jersey and none of the retail stores have white kids working in them. Also, I drove by my old HS and the student parking lot was filled with 'new' cars.

I remember hitchhiking to my job at K-mart after school.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]which just proves what a joke this article is....

these kids can't get work or they can't get the type of work they want???

kids are not motivated to work in the summer...and to a large extent I can't blame them....after spending nine months in classrooms only a small few are willing to get their asses up a 7AM in the morning and work 40 hour work weeks...

there are plenty of landscapers, golf courses, ect where jobs can be had- if you are willing to work 35-40+ hours a week....

ever try to hire some neighborhood kids to do odd jobs (painting fences, decks, etc)??? try it some time- and after offering them a more than fair wage and setting out the terms as to when they are needed see how many call back and say they have to leave two hours early cause they got tickets to a baseball game, concert, etc....

again- I don't blame them at all.....it's summer time, but don't claim that a low teen employment rate is some sort of indicator....

I guarentee you if a 16 year old is really motivated to work, needs the money and waits with the illegal day laborers hoping to get work he'll get scooped up every day and given jobs...[/QUOTE]

10 years ago I worked for at a Youth-at-risk agricultural training program. TONS of prospective employers told me they would rather hire Mexicans because they are motivated by the crappy wages where as American kids could care less.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Globalization sucks, we have to learn to adapt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]Actually, they can't get enough summer workers in the Hamptons this year. They are so desperate that several Montauk businesses are getting students from Ireland to come in for the summer crush.[/QUOTE]
    Kids from Long Island do not move away from home (as you'd have to do in Montauk) to bus tables. Period. End of story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teen unemployment is attributed to three reasons:

1) Kids who don't need to work because mommy and daddy give little muffy everything they want. The parents don't instill any sense of money value in their kids.

2) Kids who are too damn lazy and would rather sit on their fat azzes and play video games.

3) Kids who can make a lot more money doing things under the table or that they "shouldn't" be doing at all.

JMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any teen that wants to work over the summer can do like I did and go into the local temp worker place.

I loaded trucks, worked production lines. did landscaping....all paid minimum wage to me, but it was work.

It ain't changed all that much...other than the attitude.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]Globalization sucks, we have to learn to adapt.[/QUOTE][url]http://www.startribune.com/484/story/554337.html[/url]
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 06-15-2007 at 07:47 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greenwave81]Any teen that wants to work over the summer can do like I did and go into the local temp worker place.

I loaded trucks, worked production lines. did landscaping....all paid minimum wage to me, but it was work.

It ain't changed all that much...other than the attitude.[/QUOTE]

what has changed is $ 10.00 is no longer enough money for a American teenager to hustle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read:

The End of Work

By Jeremy Rifkin

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan][url]http://www.startribune.com/484/story/554337.html[/url][/QUOTE]
    um, ok?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    saw this article.....remembered this thread....and had a good laugh...

[url]http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?post_date=2007-07-23&id=25734[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I clicked on the link, but getting a message page expired-- already have a feeling on what it's about (?)

my 2 sense

Because illegals are willing to take low pay, employers can keep their salaries low and go after hiring them. Years ago it was school kids doing the landscaping (for example) in summer jobs, today you're lucky if you can afford to buy 1 semester's text books on that salary-- it doesn't pay enough and the employers will keep it low and just hire illegals. Why should employers go with the cost of living or caring about a college education when you can hire illegals at a lower salary? The jobs' pay is not worth it for today's kids and the employers could give a rats ass as long as they can get cheap laborers.

We're outsourcing skilled technical jobs, and leaving all the McJobs here in the U.S.

the great dumbing down of America coming faster at you than you ever imagined

good to see you're still around Riggins!!
    Last edited by R. Tyme; 07-23-2007 at 11:14 PM.