Thread: Duncan Hunter

Veteran

Duncan Hunter

[url]http://www.gohunter08.com/inner.asp?z=21[/url]

The first couple of minutes of this video is re Iraq. Not being a military expert, I'm curious as to what others think of his approach re Iraq.

[QUOTE=sect112row36][url]http://www.gohunter08.com/inner.asp?z=21[/url]

The first couple of minutes of this video is re Iraq. Not being a military expert, I'm curious as to what others think of his approach re Iraq.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a military expert either, but I read an awful lot about what's going on over there.

The problem I have with Hunter's approach is that he is taking it as a given that we have installed a capable government there already. There is overwhelming evidence that we have not, and that Al-Maliki is basically a pawn of shiite warlords (who some might consider terrorists). He can't even control the Green Zone, not to mention all of Baghdad, and the rest of the country is even more out of control.

The second problem with this is that he ignores the obvious: The fighting in Iraq is not us versus some unified force, a situation in which they can stand up and we can sit down and go home. The fighting in Iraq is, mostly, Iraqis (and non-Iraqis who have entered the country) fighting each other along sectarian lines. It's a civil war.

I agree with Hunter that it would be nice to have a friendly, competent, representative government in that region. But I have seen nothing to suggest that's even a remote possibility at this point.

It's increasingly obvious that Joe Biden was right all along and that Iraq will have to be divided into three countries along sectarian lines. But that will only happen when they tire of beating the hell out of each other and are willing to compromise on sensitive issues like oil revenue.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola]It's increasingly obvious that Joe Biden was right all along and that Iraq will have to be divided into three countries along sectarian lines.[/QUOTE]

People have been saying that was the answer (myself included) from almost day 1 of this War.

Question is, is it too late to do it?

[QUOTE=Warfish]People have been saying that was the answer (myself included) from almost day 1 of this War.

Question is, is it too late to do it?[/QUOTE]

I think the answer is that it's too late to do it before a civil war occurs, but that it will eventually be done after the dust settles.

Iraq is a lot like Yugoslavia. It's not a natural country but an arbitrary collection of ethnic factions held together by a brutal dictator (probably one of the reasons he was so brutal). There's no reason it has to be one country.

Biden, to his credit, saw that quickly. If he didn't have such a gift for putting his foot in his mouth and saying stupid things, he'd be a great presidential candidate for these times. He clearly understands the Middle East and the challenge we face there.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=sect112row36][url]http://www.gohunter08.com/inner.asp?z=21[/url]

The first couple of minutes of this video is re Iraq. Not being a military expert, I'm curious as to what others think of his approach re Iraq.[/QUOTE]

I have an idea...
    IF Iraq and Afghanistan are partners with us in this 'war on terror' why don't they send soldiers to each others countries?

Iraqi soldiers in Afghanistan could not go AWOL and run home to their families every time things get tough. Also, they would not be fighting their neighbors or cousins. They may actually be effective soldiers fighting in another land.

just a thought