Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg: Handwriting on the wall?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloomberg: Handwriting on the wall?

I would vote for him just to give the Independent party a real chance to succeed. I have had enough with the two parties!!!!

[QUOTE]NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg leaves GOP By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
    33 minutes ago

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday switched his party status from Republican to unaffiliated, a stunning move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.

The billionaire former CEO, who was a lifelong Democrat before he switched to the GOP for his first mayoral run, said the change in voter registration does not mean he is running for president.

"Although my plans for the future haven't changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our city," he said in a statement.

Despite his coyness about his aspirations, the mayor's decision to switch stokes speculation that he will pursue the White House, challenging the Democratic and Republican nominees with a legitimate and well-financed third-party bid.

Bloomberg has an estimated worth of more than $5 billion and easily could underwrite a White House run, much like Texas businessman Ross Perot in 1992. Bloomberg spent more than $155 million for his two mayoral campaigns, including $85 million when he won his second term in 2005.

The 65-year-old mayor has fueled the presidential buzz with increasing out-of-state travel, including New Hampshire last weekend; a greater focus on national issues and repeated criticism of the partisan politics that dominate Washington.

"The politics of partisanship and the resulting inaction and excuses have paralyzed decision-making, primarily at the federal level, and the big issues of the day are not being addressed, leaving our future in jeopardy," he said in a speech Monday at the start of a University of Southern California conference about the advantages of nonpartisan governing.

A Bloomberg entry would roil the already volatile and wide-open race to succeed President Bush.

"If he runs, this guarantees a Republican will be the next president of the United States. The Democrats have to be shaking in their boots," said Greg Strimple, a Republican strategist in New York who is unaligned in the race.

The belief among some operatives is that Bloomberg's moderate positions would siphon votes from the Democratic nominee. Others say it's not clear and his impact would depend on the nominees.

Former Democratic Party Chairman Donald Fowler said Bloomberg would be "a disturbing factor to both parties," but the mayor would probably draw more Republican votes simply because "Republicans are more disenchanted than Democrats."

"Democrats are pretty happy with their candidates," Fowler said. "The Republicans are absolutely in disarray."

He called Bloomberg "an exceptionally capable guy" who is "hard-nosed and accomplished," but argued that the obstacles for a third-party candidate are so daunting that it would be nearly impossible for Bloomberg to win.

In 1992, Perot captured 19 percent of the popular vote as Democrat Bill Clinton seized the presidency from incumbent Republican President George H.W. Bush. Independent Ralph Nader played the spoiler in the 2000 race, taking votes from Democrat Al Gore in a disputed election won by President George W. Bush.

Most polls find Bloomberg drawing votes from Republicans.

"He could have a significant impact on the campaign," said independent pollster Scott Rasmussen. "Nationally there's a significant segment of the electorate that would give serious consideration to Bloomberg as a candidate."

Strategists say he could mount a third-party campaign by stressing that he is a two-term mayor in a Democratic city and that he built his reputation as a political independent, social moderate and fiscal conservative.

Throughout his 5 1/2 years as mayor, Bloomberg has often been at odds with his party and Bush. He supports gay marriage, abortion rights, gun control and stem cell research, and raised property taxes to help solve a fiscal crisis after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

But he never seemed willing to part with the GOP completely, raising money for the 2004 presidential convention and contributing to Bush and other Republican candidates.

Just last year, he told a group of Manhattan Republicans about his run for mayor: "I couldn't be prouder to run on the Republican ticket and be a Republican."

On most occasions, Bloomberg has rolled his eyes at the suggestion that he might one day be a presidential contestant. But during a holiday party with City Hall staffers last December he performed a Bruce Springsteen rendition of "Born to Run."

Appearing Monday at Google Inc.'s California campus, Bloomberg teased questioners about a presidential bid, refusing to rule out the prospect but repeating that he plans to serve out his term through 2009. And he didn't debunk a report that he talked about an independent presidential bid with former Sen. David Boren, D-Okla.

Asked about a hypothetical independent candidate entering the race, Bloomberg launched a broad critique of the Bush administration and Congress and lamented the presidential debates to date.

"I think the country is in trouble," Bloomberg said, citing the war in Iraq and America's declining standing globally.

"Our reputation has been hurt very badly in the last few years," he said. "We've had a go-it-alone mentality in a world where, because of communications and transportation, you should be going exactly in the other direction."

His entry into the campaign would give the presidential contest a decidedly New York flavor, with Hillary Rodham Clinton, the New York senator on the Democratic side, and former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani on the Republican. [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    he's got the money...he's middle of the road...he's not the lunatic Ross Perot was....

if there is to be a thrid party Bloomberg is the one you can begin to build it around...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]he's got the money...he's middle of the road...he's not the lunatic Ross Perot was....

if there is to be a thrid party Bloomberg is the one you can begin to build it around...[/QUOTE]

Great...then we can all be subjected to government approved fats, no smoking and gun control...the government knows best I guess.

Pass.

The only third party that would have [b]any[/b] staying power would be something along the lines of a party that was socially moderate, fiscally conservative, and favored limited national government with an increase (return of) in states rights.

Bloomberg is a Dem in 99% of the country that ain't NYC or CA....and he's not
    a viable third party leader for much...at least not in my eyes.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greenwave81]Great...then we can all be subjected to government approved fats, no smoking and gun control...the government knows best I guess.

Pass.

The only third party that would have [b]any[/b] staying power would be something along the lines of a party that was socially moderate, fiscally conservative, and favored limited national government with an increase (return of) in states rights.

a viable third party leader for much...at least not in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

never said I would support him...but he's as good as any to lead a third party...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greenwave81]Great...then we can all be subjected to government approved fats, no smoking and gun control...the government knows best I guess.

Pass.

a viable third party leader for much...at least not in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Of course...

I definitely wouldn't want my president to be a successful businessman. We here in America can all agree that capitalism is gay.

I would much rather have a president who ran a company in which people invested millions of dollars but only received back 45 cents on the dollar. A president with enough fiscal sense to dump his stock in an oil company at 4/share to have it drop to 2/share two weeks later and then have it rise again to over 8/share a year later. A Republican president who is sooooo freaking republican that he built a stadium for a baseball team with mostly taxpayer subsidies. Bush paid 600,000. Taxpayers paid 135 million. How did Arlington manage to do it? By raising sales tax....a very very republican thing to do. But hey...eventually the team got sold. What did Mr. Bush make? 15 million...pretty nice, it sort of puts Clinton commodity trading in perspective...

Ahhh...Major League Baseball Park - 200 Million

Initial investment by wealthy businessman - 600,000

Using government money to subsidize billionaires in the pursuit of their business interests - Priceless

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I admire Bloomberg immensely, and would strongly consider voting for him if the Democratic nomination went to Hillary, who I just can't get excited about. (If it's Obama, Gore or Richardson: Sorry, Mike.)

The fact is he's a socially liberal, fiscal conservative with a clear track record of competent management skills, and he lacks the pandering streak of the other successful businessman in the field (Romney) and the totalitarian streak of the other successful mayor.

Presumably, he'd have to run with a foreign-policy heavyweight to overcome his lack of experience in that area, somebody like a Colin Powell --with obvious bipartisan credentials-- would be ideal.

As crazy as Perot was, people forget that, before he dropped out the first time, he had a legit shot at winning. And, in 2008, a year where neither base is all that happy with its frontrunner and the country isn't happy with how things are going --sorta like '92--a third-party candidate has a real shot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]I admire Bloomberg immensely, and would strongly consider voting for him if the Democratic nomination went to Hillary, who I just can't get excited about. (If it's Obama, Gore or Richardson: Sorry, Mike.)

The fact is he's a socially liberal, fiscal conservative with a clear track record of competent management skills, and he lacks the pandering streak of the other successful businessman in the field (Romney) and the totalitarian streak of the other successful mayor.

Presumably, he'd have to run with a foreign-policy heavyweight to overcome his lack of experience in that area, somebody like a Colin Powell --with obvious bipartisan credentials-- would be ideal.

As crazy as Perot was, people forget that, before he dropped out the first time, he had a legit shot at winning. And, in 2008, a year where neither base is all that happy with its frontrunner and the country isn't happy with how things are going --sorta like '92--a third-party candidate has a real shot.[/QUOTE]

Pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Multi-billionaire mayor of NYC who couldn't land the Jets.

Pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Pass.[/QUOTE]

Well that settles it then. If J5E is passing, Bloomberg should just fold up the tent now.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]he's got the money...he's middle of the road...he's not the lunatic Ross Perot was....

if there is to be a thrid party Bloomberg is the one you can begin to build it around...[/QUOTE]

bloomberg is just another elitist, nanny-state lib in gop clothes, of
    which he, lindsay-like, is now discarding

open borders, punish the middle class through taxation, ban all that is "unhealthful", "congestion pricing", "more chance of dying from lightning strike
    than terrorism"* yet crying over homeland security fund allocation...
    sounds extremely lunatic to me

*paraphrased...ill dig up the quote upon demand

this is how bad bloomberg is....ron paul is almost a more palatable candidate

let him run and split the ny libtard vote

now if he was for true congestion pricing, where illegal aliens actually paid
    for their own support and became citizens at 100K a head
    vs the risible 5K hed be onto something

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Ithe totalitarian streak of the other successful mayor.
    [/QUOTE]

oold fagola,
    do you work, live in, or own property in nyc?
    then you would have seen by now
    the tax hikes, other social regulation bloomberg so
    haughtily has imposed on others-thats totalitarianism

we know your and the other commies uninformed, insipid take on giulianis
    accomplishments,

if reestablishing the rule of law is totalitarianism we need more of it in this country

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]bloomberg is just another elitist, nanny-state lib in gop clothes, of
    which he, lindsay-like, is now discarding

open borders, punish the middle class through taxation, ban all that is "unhealthful", "congestion pricing", "more chance of dying from lightning strike
    than terrorism"* yet crying over homeland security fund allocation...
    sounds extremely lunatic to me

*paraphrased...ill dig up the quote upon demand

this is how bad bloomberg is....ron paul is almost a more palatable candidate

let him run and split the ny libtard vote

now if he was for true congestion pricing, where illegal aliens actually paid
    for their own support and became citizens at 100K a head
    vs the risible 5K hed be onto something[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I don't think the opinions of someone who regularly calls people "libtards" are of much relevance to a guy weighing a run on behalf of independent, middle-of-the-road voters disenchanted with both parties.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Well that settles it then. If J5E is passing, Bloomberg should just fold up the tent now.[/QUOTE]

This seems out of character....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike wants to pay people to do the right thing, like attend parent teacher meetings. I mean WTF paying people to care about their children I thought was called good parenting! Maybe sterilize them instead!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You voted for a guy who traded Sammy Sosa.

[QUOTE=sackdance]Multi-billionaire mayor of NYC who couldn't land the Jets.

Pass.[/QUOTE]

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]With all due respect, I don't think the opinions of someone who regularly calls people "libtards" are of much relevance to a guy weighing a run on behalf of independent, middle-of-the-road voters disenchanted with both parties.[/QUOTE]

i could care less what any libtard thinks what i think

in general, i despise libtards because they are a hazard to
    my physical and financial well being-
    they never met a unamerican unpatriotic
    and most of all unfair cause
    they didnt like to have me pay for

anyone that fits that description deserves and gets my
    undying enmity and disgust

but i digress

this is just another typical, liberal/MSM, unsuccessful,
    unsophisticated attempt to
    define what a republican and a conservative
    in 2007 is and isnt

middle of the road voters may lean further left socially
    than gop conservatives
    but they dont lean left fiscally
    and they do not appreciate
    equivocation about terrorist threats to america

so theres no surprise then that giuliani, in many ways similiar,
    yet much different to and far more electable candidate
    than bloomberg is among the gop leaders

bloomberg, tax hiker supreme, hasnt a prayer in the gop field
    so his only chance is to go independent and try to fake
    out the less inteligent

tell me more about how much worse chicago was than nyc
    in the early nineties....i love that fairy tale

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]Mike wants to pay people to do the right thing, like attend parent teacher meetings. I mean WTF paying people to care about their children I thought was called good parenting! Maybe sterilize them instead![/QUOTE]

Let's see what happens with his platform if he actually runs.

Without getting into that goofy-sounding idea specifically (I know nothing about it), there are many programs worth trying at a municipal level that could never fly nationwide. Bloomberg strikes me as a practical guy who'd understand that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lieberman left the Dems because he was treated unfairly and now Bloomberg left the GOP because he isn't good enough to win as a Republican?

The GOP and Democratic candidates SUCK. Bloomberg has enough money to hopefully be able to fight what he believes in and not what the special interest groups do.

[QUOTE=flushingjet]i could care less what any libtard thinks what i think

in general, i despise libtards because they are a hazard to
    my physical and financial well being-
    they never met a unamerican unpatriotic
    and most of all unfair cause
    they didnt like to have me pay for

anyone that fits that description deserves and gets my
    undying enmity and disgust

but i digress

this is just another typical, liberal/MSM, unsuccessful,
    unsophisticated attempt to
    define what a republican and a conservative
    in 2007 is and isnt

middle of the road voters may lean further left socially
    than gop conservatives
    but they dont lean left fiscally
    and they do not appreciate
    equivocation about terrorist threats to america

so theres no surprise then that giuliani, in many ways similiar,
    yet much different to and far more electable candidate
    than bloomberg is among the gop leaders

bloomberg, tax hiker supreme, hasnt a prayer in the gop field
    so his only chance is to go independent and try to fake
    out the less inteligent

tell me more about how much worse chicago was than nyc
    in the early nineties....i love that fairy tale[/QUOTE]

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=cr726]Lieberman left the Dems because he was treated unfairly and now Bloomberg left the GOP because he isn't good enough to win as a Republican?

The GOP and Democratic candidates SUCK. Bloomberg has enough money to hopefully be able to fight what he believes in and not what the special interest groups do.[/QUOTE]

ill give you credit, for once you are partially correct

lieberman hasnt left the dems just yet-he still votes en bloc with
    them on extremely damaging issues like sham-nesty-
    so hes a useful idiot to them until they get to the war/military
    related issues

bloomberg absolutely cannot and win the gop nomination,
    not in a million years. to pose as an outsider
    (albeit a billionaire outsider) a la perot is his only chance
    and even then its just a vain waste of money he would
    be better off donating to charity or rebuilding the chocolate city

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Lieberman left the Dems because he was treated unfairly and now Bloomberg left the GOP because he isn't good enough to win as a Republican?

[B]The GOP and Democratic candidates SUCK. Bloomberg has enough money to hopefully be able to fight what he believes in and not what the special interest groups do.[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with that. If there ever was a ripe opportunity for a viable third party candidate, it's right now. While the far left and right have their favorites from the GOP and Dems, many if not most of the moderates, centrists, etc are not thrilled with any of them.

As far as Bloomberg is concerned, I'm not sure if he'd be the guy that would be able to make some real noise. His track record is a bit mixed. While he's done a decent job with the City, he's often looking for any reason to tax people and that turns many voters off. We're taxed to death as it is.