Thread: Am I nuts?

Banned

Am I nuts?

Okay, am I crazy?

I Just dropped Curt Schilling in both of my fantasy leagues to make a roster spot for Homer Bailey who I scooped up as a free agent

Schilling got absolutely shelled in his last two starts, in his last start he never even hit 90 on the gun, he was even sent back to Boston for an MRI {on his arm} out of concern for his lack of velocity, and he's been no big deal all season, even with that potent lineup behind him he's only 6-4 with an ERA well over 4, and his strikeouts are way down too {like 71 in 91 innings}, so he's not even racking up the K's anymore either, the days of a strikeout per inning are over

Bailey OTOH was a super blue-chip prospect in the Reds organization who was pitching lights out in the minors before he was called up two weeks ago, his first two starts were average {no big deal}, but tonite he showed his potential when he tossed 7 innings of two hit ball verses the A's, and his fastball was often clocked at 96 MPH

Having said that all that, would you have stuck with the veteran on a dominant team {knowing Bailey would be claimed after tonite}, or if you had to dump Schilling for Bailey {I wasn't dumping anyone else because all of my starters are better than Schilling}, would you have beat everyone to the punch and made the switch?

AGAIN, dumping another SP was NOT an option, it was dump Schilling or no Bailey and I definitely watch someone else claim him in both leagues as early as today, because these cats are like sharks and nothing eludes them

And again, the guys in my league don't miss a beat, I had to move fast or they would have been on Bailey like flies on a rib-roast
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-20-2007 at 04:28 AM.

Yeah, I think you're nuts. Not because you made that switch, but because I think you should have dropped someone other than Schilling for Bailey. Schilling's K/BB is still very good and he has some good starts left in him. But, at his age, he's going to be inconsistent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan

Yeah, I think you're nuts. Not because you made that switch, but because I think you should have dropped someone other than Schilling for Bailey. Schilling's K/BB is still very good and he has some good starts left in him. But, at his age, he's going to be inconsistent.
    I couldn't drop anyone else, I have a killer pitching staff in both leagues, Schilling was BY FAR my worst pitcher on both staffs, so it was Schilling or nobody

BTW, This Just in .. Schilling had a cortizone shot on his shoulder on tuesday and he'll be shutdown for his next start, with a likely DL stint in the cards

Lastly, he's 40 Years old JWF, this is not CURT SCHILLING, this is a shell of Curt Schilling, a BIG NAME who is clearly on the downside .. in other words, if his name wasn't Curt Schilling nobody would even pick him up off waivers .. he'll be picked up ONLY because his name is Curt Schilling, but now he's a mediocre pitcher at best, you can get the same production {or better} from any number of SP's who are sitting on the waiver wire in every league
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-20-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    I couldn't drop anyone else, I have a killer pitching staff in both leagues, Schilling was BY FAR my worst pitcher on both staffs, so it was Schilling or nobody

BTW, This Just in .. Schilling had a cortizone shot on his shoulder on tuesday and he'll be shutdown for his next start, with a likely DL stint in the cards

Lastly, he's 40 Years old JWF, this is not CURT SCHILLING, this is a shell of Curt Schilling, a BIG NAME who is clearly on the downside .. in other words, if his name wasn't Curt Schilling nobody would even pick him up off waivers .. he'll be picked up ONLY because his name is Curt Schilling, but now he's a mediocre pitcher at best, you can get the same production {or better} from any number of SP's who are sitting on the waiver wire in every league
    Schilling being your worst pitcher is pretty impressive. I guess I just figured you could trade Schilling for something.

But, given the MRI and the fact that he was DLed, you made the right call. Personally, I'd rather have Gallardo than Bailey though.

Those are all fair points. He does have a very good K/BB though, and he did just throw a 1 hitter 3 starts ago.

Either way, I do like Bailey, but you may have the same issues with him as you would have with Schilling, and that is inconsistency. Bailey will be inconsistent because he's a rookie and Schilling because he's old and his stuff isn't nearly as good. Of course, he might just be done.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan

Schilling being your worst pitcher is pretty impressive. I guess I just figured you could trade Schilling for something.

But, given the MRI and the fact that he was DLed, you made the right call. Personally, I'd rather have Gallardo than Bailey though.

Those are all fair points. He does have a very good K/BB though, and he did just throw a 1 hitter 3 starts ago.

Either way, I do like Bailey, but you may have the same issues with him as you would have with Schilling, and that is inconsistency. Bailey will be inconsistent because he's a rookie and Schilling because he's old and his stuff isn't nearly as good. Of course, he might just be done.
    I have Gallardo too, on both staffs

I agree with your assessment, you face the same consistency issues with neophytes and the aging vet, only the super blue chip neophytes have the upside to go on a tear, the ability the aging vet had in his prime, while the aging vets best days are clearly behind him .. and in this case he's hurt as well