Thread: Shanahan says he doesn't want to test FA market

All League

Shanahan says he doesn't want to test FA market

Link

Shanahan says he doesn't want to test market
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 21, 2007, 11:27 AM ET

Michael Nylander's future in the Big Apple may be up in the air, but Brendan Shanahan is a different story.

Brendan Shanahan
    Left Wing
    New York Rangers

2006-07 Season Stats
    GM G A PTS +/- PIM
    67 29 33 62 2 47

The veteran forward told The New York Post on Wednesday that he wants to return to the NHL for another season and he does not want to test the free-agent market.

"I'm going to play next year and it is my intention to play for the Rangers," Shanahan told the newspaper in a telephone interview. "I kind of knew within the first few days or week after we were eliminated that my instincts were to return, but I needed to go through a period and step back to make certain my body was in agreement so I could really make the right decision."

Shanahan missed 15 games after suffering a concussion in a collision with Philadelphia's Mike Knuble on Feb. 17. He returned March 21 for the final nine games of the regular season and the playoffs. The Rangers were ousted by the Sabres in the second round.

"And fortunately, my body is telling me that my instincts were correct. I'm fine. There are no after-effects from the concussion or from coming back from it to play at the end of the year. I'm really looking forward to coming back and trying to win the Stanley Cup in New York.

"I want to play for the Rangers. I don't want to go on the open market. I've told my agent [Rick Curran] to talk to Glen Sather and try to get a deal done. I don't want to leave, and if they're not interested in having me back, it will be a complete shock."

Shanahan, 38, came to the Rangers from the Red Wings last offseason via free agency and finished out a one-year, $4 million deal. According to the Post, Shanahan is eligible to sign a one-year contract with bonuses, allowing the Rangers to expand their cap limit.

"I don't want to discuss what I would or wouldn't do in the contract," Shanahan told the Post. "I've never negotiated in the papers. But there aren't going to be any silly games. It's not a traditional negotiation where I'm looking for leverage, let's put it that way. My feeling is that pretty much anything they propose that will help the Rangers be better, I'll be all ears."

Shanahan had 29 goals and 33 assists in 67 games for the Rangers.
    He brings great chemistry to this Ranger team. '08 is our year!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for the article Banks. Check out my thread in the forum. Anyways, Shanny even said in that video thankign the fans. He will be back. He is the man, I only WISH we had him in his prime, doesnt matter he is still affective. Go Shanny!

At first I thought this was about Mike Shanahan. But that's good news.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    At first I thought this was about Mike Shanahan. But that's good news.
    Why would a coach test the FA market lolol.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Why would a coach test the FA market lolol.
    Ohhhhhh I dunno, because this is a football forum? And most people read titles of threads and are just silly enough to assume the thread is about football?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322
    Ohhhhhh I dunno, because this is a football forum? And most people read titles of threads and are just silly enough to assume the thread is about football?
    Ohhhh and ughhhh I dunno, how the **** can a coach be a FA uhhh I dunnooo ughhh.

Ohhhh and ughhhh I dunno, how the **** can a coach be a FA uhhh I dunnooo ughhh.
    back with a vengence from his ban

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313
    back with a vengence from his ban
    lol no.

That time of the month?

Someone pi$$ in your cornflakes?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MACPAC
    That time of the month?

Someone pi$$ in your cornflakes?
    What are ya talking aboot?

All Pro
    paycut then we can get Nylander and Gomez

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    How long would u sign Nylander for? 3 years?

Jets Insider VIP
    How long would u sign Nylander for? 3 years?
    I believe Jagr has 2 more years on his contract and that's what I would think would make sense to sign Nylander for (2 years). I think Nylander may want 3 years and that could wind up being a sticking point. After 2 years, Jagr may retire/go back to the Czech Republic, who knows. At that point they both will be 37 years old and the Rangers would probably be better off bringing in younger talent by that point anyway. I would love to see Nylander back with the Rangers and Gomez as the 2nd line center. That would give the Rangers a lot of flexibility throughout the lineup. It would allow Matt Cullen to move to wing where I personally think, with his speed, he is better suited. Now if only the Rangers would squeeze out Orr and Hollweg and insert some of our talented forwards from Hartford, it's off to the races. (Note: also need to tweak the defense...Staal in, maybe Sanguinetti if he's ready, hopefully they can unload Malik...that would mean: Rozie, Tyutin, Staal, Girardi, Mara, and Sanguinetti/Rachunek/Pock/Player acquired thru trade)

Edit: I see that Nylander, for some time, has had on offer on the table from the Rangers for 3 years/$11.5M. Hopefully, they get this done in the next week before July 1st.
    Last edited by Jordy; 06-24-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    "Ranger Fan Central" "grafitti board" a poster reorted that Gomez was seen praticing with Shanny. Would be a big edition if we get him...