Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: John Edwards: Hypocrisy Personified.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

John Edwards: Hypocrisy Personified.....

Those kids from the school who plunked down $55K from the student union fund to here this clown speak should learn a lot from this...

[QUOTE][B]Nonprofit center benefited Edwards- Leslie Wayne, The New York Times[/B]

CHAPEL HILL - John Edwards ended 2004 with a problem: how to keep alive his public profile without the benefit of a presidential campaign that could finance his travels and pay for his political staff.

Edwards, who reported this year that he had assets of nearly $30 million, came up with a novel solution, creating a nonprofit organization with the stated mission of fighting poverty. The organization, the Center for Promise and Opportunity, raised $1.3 million in 2005, and -- unlike a sister charity created to raise scholarship money for poor students -- the main beneficiary of the center's fundraising was Edwards himself, federal tax filings show.

But a spokesman for Edwards on Thursday defended the center as a legitimate tool against poverty.

The organization became a big part of a shadow political apparatus for Edwards after his defeat as the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 2004 and before the start of his presidential bid this time around. Its officers were members of his political staff, and it helped pay for his nearly constant travel, including to early primary states.

[B]While Edwards said the organization's purpose was "making the eradication of poverty the cause of this generation," its federal filings say it financed "retreats and seminars" with foreign policy experts on Iraq and national security issues. Unlike the scholarship charity, donations to it were not tax deductible, and, significantly, it did not have to disclose its donors -- as political action committees and other political fundraising vehicles do -- and there were no limits on the size of individual donations.[/B]

Edwards, a one-term former senator from North Carolina, set out to keep his political options open by promoting issues he cared about, like poverty.

"He wanted to learn, travel and be in a position to be a viable candidate," said J. Edwin Turlington, a Raleigh lawyer and manager of Edwards' 2003 presidential exploratory committee. "He had the ability to raise money to fund his activities. He had a vision, and he knew it would take money."

Beyond the norm

But it was his use of a tax-exempt organization to finance his travel and employ people connected to his past and current campaigns that went beyond what most other prospective candidates have done before pursuing national office. And according to experts on nonprofit foundations, Edwards pushed at the boundaries of how far such organizations can venture into the political realm. Such entities, which are regulated under Section 501C-4 of the tax code, can engage in advocacy but cannot make partisan political activities their primary purpose without risking loss of their tax-exempt status.

Because the organization is not required to disclose its donors -- and the campaign declined to do so -- it is not clear whether those who gave money to it did so understanding that they were supporting Edwards' political viability as much or more than they were giving money to combat poverty.

The money paid Edwards' expenses while he walked picket lines and met with Wall Street executives. He gave speeches, hired consultants and attacked Bush. He led minimum-wage initiatives, went frequently to Iowa and appeared on TV. He traveled to China, India, Brussels, Uganda and Russia.

"He was not a U.S. senator; he had no office," said Ferrel Guillory, a political program director at the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "So he set up a series of entities to finance his travel, to finance a political shop and to finance an issue shop. It all adds up to a remarkable feat of keeping a presidential candidacy alive without any of the traditional bases for it."

Edwards on defense
    The Edwards campaign defended the activities of the nonprofit.

"One of the Center for Promise and Opportunity's main goals was to raise awareness about poverty and engage people to fight it," said Jonathan Prince, deputy campaign manager. "Of course, it sent Senator Edwards around the country to do this. How else could we have engaged tens of thousands of college students or sent 700 young people to help rebuild New Orleans? It's patently absurd to suggest there's anything wrong with an organization designed to raise awareness about poverty actually working to raise awareness about poverty."

The Edwards campaign declined to disclose the amounts raised or spent by the two similarly named nonprofit agencies -- the Center for Promise and Opportunity and the Center for Promise and Opportunity Foundation -- since their 2005 tax filings, which are the most recent to have been filed.

The Center for Promise and Opportunity Foundation, which started with $70,000 in 2005, gave $300,000 in college scholarships in 2006, said Pamela Garland, the executive director of the College for Everyone Program that is part of the foundation. The center, often praised for helping poor students in Greene County, N.C., get into college, is on track to give $476,000 this year, Garland said.

Edwards broke his ties to that charity once he announced his candidacy for president.

At the same time, the larger nonprofit group had a more politically active agenda. The $1.3 million it raised and spent in 2005 paid for travel, including Edwards' tour of 10 college campuses, consultants and a Web operation.

Nonprofit groups can engage in political activities and not endanger their tax-exempt status so long as those activities are not its primary purpose. But the line between a bona fide charity and a political campaign is often fuzzy, said Marcus S. Owens, a Washington lawyer who headed the Internal Revenue Service division that oversees nonprofit agencies.

"I can't say that what Edwards did was wrong," Owens said. "But he was working right up to the line. Who knows whether he stepped or stumbled over it. But he was close enough that if a wind was blowing hard, he'd fall over it."

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/612945.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading between the lines, [B]Come Back To Earth[/B] is trying to say that yet another democratic candidate is not worthy of the White House. I can see why he feels this way based on the historic job that our leader, [B]Republican[/B] George Bush, has done. He set the bar really high for the next candidate.

So, once again, [B]Come Back To Earth[/B], shows us that he he is fair and balanced. He trashes Edwards for doing something that was NOT illegal. Yet he defends and supports a president who has ripped apart civil liberties, polarized a nation, destroyed a lot of our credibility around the world and lied to us about the reasons for going into Iraq costing thousands of lives and BILLIONS of dollars.

[I]This public service message for the Republican Party has been made possible by the friends of [B]Come Back To Earth[/B].[/I]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]Reading between the lines, [B]Come Back To Earth[/B] is trying to say that yet another democratic candidate is not worthy of the White House. I can see why he feels this way based on the historic job that our leader, [B]Republican[/B] George Bush, has done. He set the bar really high for the next candidate.

So, once again, [B]Come Back To Earth[/B], shows us that he he is fair and balanced. He trashes Edwards for doing something that was NOT illegal. Yet he defends and supports a president who has ripped apart civil liberties, polarized a nation, destroyed a lot of our credibility around the world and lied to us about the reasons for going into Iraq costing thousands of lives and BILLIONS of dollars.

[I]This public service message for the Republican Party has been made possible by the friends of [B]Come Back To Earth[/B].[/I][/QUOTE]

ah yes....[B]IgonrantJetsFan[/B] running to the defense of breck boy by feebly trying to change the topic....you'll notice [B]IgnorantJetsFan[/B] does not, in any instance, address the topic at hand....rather [B]IgnorantJetsFan[/B] tries to justify Edwards total hypocrisy on the basis of legality....

[I]This public service message from the demokRATS Culture of Hypocrisy is endorsed and practiced daily by lunatic leftists like [B]IgnorantJetsFan[/B][/I]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 06-22-2007 at 11:57 AM.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]
    Yet he defends and supports a president who has ripped apart civil liberties, polarized a nation, destroyed a lot of our credibility around the world and lied to us about the reasons for going into Iraq costing thousands of lives and BILLIONS of dollars.

[/I][/QUOTE]

1. Exactly what civil liberties have you lost?

2. The Clintons polarized the nation long before W came along

3. Any credibility that the US has lost is the direct result of the criminal
    liberal media speculating/insinuating/falsifying stories to make the Bush Administration look bad.

4. If Bush lied, so did most of his counterparts in the west including hypocritical Dims who are on record as far back as the 90's proclaiming Saddams building and possesing of WMD's.
    Last edited by DeanPatsFan; 06-22-2007 at 12:17 PM.

flushingjet
    i predict:
    my little phony, john edwards will win the
    donkeycrat nomination by a hair!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE][B]John Edwards Returns To 2004 Campaign Theme[/B]

WASHINGTON -- Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards is complaining about the growing divide between rich and poor as he returns to the theme of "Two Americas" from his unsuccessful 2004 White House bid.

[B]The former North Carolina senator plans to focus on the economic gap he said has widened in four years.[/B]

Edwards planned to deliver a speech Thursday night in New York. The text provided by the campaign states that the tax system has been rewritten by President George W. Bush to favor the wealthy and shift the tax burden to working families. [I]how much is he charging the indigant for this talk?[/I]

The economic theme was the focus of Edwards' 2004 campaign. This year so far he has focused on opposition to the Iraq war, universal health care and his work to fight poverty. [I]and padding his pockets along the way....[/I]

Edwards trails New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in most polls.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.wxii12.com/politics/13546543/detail.html?rss=gws&psp=news[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/KingofComedy.jpg[/IMG]

What a great joke!!!

[QUOTE=flushingjet]i predict:
    my little phony, john edwards will win the
    donkeycrat nomination by a hair![/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan]Reading between the lines, [B]Come Back To Earth[/B] is trying to say that yet another democratic candidate is not worthy of the White House. I can see why he feels this way based on the historic job that our leader, [B]Republican[/B] George Bush, has done. He set the bar really high for the next candidate.

[I]This public service message for the Republican Party has been made possible by the friends of [B]Come Back To Earth[/B].[/I][/QUOTE]

....do you complain this much when an article is shifted far to the left??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Neil Diamond]....do you complain this much when an article is shifted far to the left??[/QUOTE]

That job has been outsourced to ComeBackToEarth...

He will be happy to assist you in getting enraged at leftological media outlets.

At the tone please record your message. When you are finished recording you may hang up or smash your monitor with a stapler.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Neil Diamond]....do you complain this much when an article is shifted far to the left??[/QUOTE]
    Uh, boy. YellowSub starts posting after a hiatus and look who's signed up in June 2007, with 11 posts and into leftwing politics, Neil Diamond.

Give it up, loser.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Uh, boy. YellowSub starts posting after a hiatus and look who's signed up in June 2007, with 11 posts and into leftwing politics, Neil Diamond.

Give it up, loser.[/QUOTE]

So I express my more conservative opinion, and that makes me a loser?? Wow, how narrow-minded can one be?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]

3. Any credibility that the US has lost is the direct result of the criminal
    liberal media speculating/insinuating/falsifying stories to make the Bush Administration look bad.
    [/QUOTE]

:D
    :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    another loser who couldn't even carry his home state in a general election

who cares??? :zzz: