Thread: Thierry Henry signs with Barcelona.

Thierry Henry signs with Barcelona.

Wow, big move by Barca. Sorry deadringer.

Arsenal's Thierry Henry signs for Barcelona
    Last updated at 19:42pm on 22nd June 2007

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has signed with Barcelona, according to the Spanish club.

Barcelona will pay 16 million for Henry, who has signed a four-year deal.

Henry has been with Arsenal since 1999, scoring a club record 226 goals in 364 appearances for the Gunners. He helped the London club win two Premier League titles and four FA Cups.

Bookmakers William Hill immediately offered odds of 7/2 that Henry would be the top scorer in the Spanish league next season.

Henry's agent, Jerome Anderson, recently denied reports he was negotiating the player's move to Barcelona.

Henry, who turns 30 in August, still had three years left on his contract. But speculation of his departure increased after Arsenal failed to win a trophy last season and finished only fourth in the Premier League for the second year in a row.

Henry acknowledged he was upset that David Dein, who was responsible for bringing manager Arsene Wenger to the club in 1996, quit as vice chairman of Arsenal.

Wenger, who has led Arsenal to three Premier League and four FA Cup triumphs, has said he has no plans to follow Dein away from the club. But he, too, has been linked with a possible move to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Henry spent much of last season sidelined because of stomach and groin injuries. But he remains one of the game's biggest stars with his ability to score top-quality goals and beat defenses with his fast runs and dribbling.

Henry also helped the Gunners reach the Champions League final in 2006, only for Arsenal to lose to Barcelona. He was frustrated that Arsenal did not strengthen its playing squad with big names and expressed his disappointment when the Gunners sold Patrick Vieira to Juventus two years ago.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...70&ito=newsnow

Hall Of Fame
    Wow, talk about star power - looks like I'm rooting for Barcelona now.

All Pro
    This is going to be Wegner last season at Arsenal also IMO. I could also see Gallas moving because he *****es about lack of experience around him. I don't know what they plan to put on the pitch this season, but Walcott and Van Persie better play great.

All Pro
    I was getting ready to go out and then I thought of Messi, Ronaldhino, Eto'o, and Henry on the field at once and shook my head in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    I was getting ready to go out and then I thought of Messi, Ronaldhino, Eto'o, and Henry on the field at once and shook my head in disgust.

With any luck, Eto'o will be playing alongside Ronaldo and Kaka in Milan.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    Wow, big move by Barca. Sorry deadringer.
    these things happen, paulie, and aside from the low fee i'm not the least bit surprised that it did...the important thing is for the team to move NOW to pickup another world class striker...much as i like Van Persie and Adebayor, only the former is a truly "world class" player, and he is coming off of a broken foot...and after them, all thats left is walcott and bendtner, and i dont like the looks of that...

as to bayridge's point about this being wenger's last season, its possible, but it would shock me a lot more than this...the fact is that henry and wenger's relationship soured quite a bit this season due to henry's inability to stay healthy and a perceived lack of support from the coach...his contract is almost up, so he certainly could walk (and losing wenger would be a lot worse than losing henry, seeing as it would likely also mean losing fabregas in the same season), but i just dont see him leaving...

as for gallas, i hope he leaves...he's super talented, but is not a good fit on this team (two 5'8 center backs is not a good thing, and i take toure over him any day of the week) and seems insistent on flapping his lips as often as possible...sell gallas, buy fernando torres from atletico madrid (or another world class striker), and use the rest to try and shore up midfield...

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    these things happen, paulie, and aside from the low fee i'm not the least bit surprised that it did...the important thing is for the team to move NOW to pickup another world class striker...much as i like Van Persie and Adebayor, only the former is a truly "world class" player, and he is coming off of a broken foot...and after them, all thats left is walcott and bendtner, and i dont like the looks of that...

as to bayridge's point about this being wenger's last season, its possible, but it would shock me a lot more than this...the fact is that henry and wenger's relationship soured quite a bit this season due to henry's inability to stay healthy and a perceived lack of support from the coach...his contract is almost up, so he certainly could walk (and losing wenger would be a lot worse than losing henry, seeing as it would likely also mean losing fabregas in the same season), but i just dont see him leaving...

as for gallas, i hope he leaves...he's super talented, but is not a good fit on this team (two 5'8 center backs is not a good thing, and i take toure over him any day of the week) and seems insistent on flapping his lips as often as possible...sell gallas, buy fernando torres from atletico madrid (or another world class striker), and use the rest to try and shore up midfield...
    Niclas Bendtner will be brilliant, give him a little time, I believe he's only 19. You are going to love him... He's not Henry I know, but he's going to be good. Infact he already is imo. Birmingham would love to keep him. He will also make you laugh at his sometimes very suprising enginuity on the field. Here's an example: In the recent International against Sweden, he was standing near the sideline with a swedish defender on his back, waiting for a high ball. He looked like he was going to head it and even held his hands up like he was going to, but instead he let it fall through his hands on to his foot for a long ball upfield and right through the legs of the defender. Then he just went around and out ran the swede, who looked quite silly and did not have a clue what just happened... LMAO that was great

I also like Walcott btw, but if Arsenal get their hands on Torres... -are you kidding me Playing alongside Bendtner who often draws multiple defenders, he would have it easy...That would go both ways actually!
    Talk about a deadly duo!