Thread: Rangers draft Russian RW. Alexi Cherepanov.

Jets Insider VIP

Rangers draft Russian RW. Alexi Cherepanov.

Everything i'am hearing about him is GREAT!. They are saying he is the Brady Quinn of the NHL draft lasting till 17. He scores goals, and is a very good player. He played with Jagr on the Russian team during the lock out. He said before hand he wanted to come to NEW YORK. Doesn't speak a word of English lol.

SICK.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SJSG9AW54

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    Everything i'am hearing about him is GREAT!. They are saying he is the Brady Quinn of the NHL draft lasting till 17. He scores goals, and is a very good player. He played with Jagr on the Russian team during the lock out. He said before hand he wanted to come to NEW YORK. Doesn't speak a word of English lol.

SICK.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SJSG9AW54
    I have one word: STEAL!

He was considered to be the only NHL-ready player in this year's draft.
    He's compared to Ovechkin in terms of skills. He's not as big as Ovechkin although he still has time to grow and get bigger.

All Pro
    Hes a first line/more talented Petr Prucha.

I can't believe we got him without trading up !

he's playing another season with his current Russian team,couple that with him still having 2 years remaining on his contract is probably why nobody took him ? {Russia needs to let him leave}
    He said he'll be skating in NY after next season.

I watched from #7 through our pick and was fuming when the Wild traded up right in front of us....I thought for sure he would be scooped up and when they took someone else.......

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by joe willie
    I can't believe we got him without trading up !

he's playing another season with his current Russian team,couple that with him still having 2 years remaining on his contract is probably why nobody took him ? {Russia needs to let him leave}
    He said he'll be skating in NY after next season.

I watched from #7 through our pick and was fuming when the Wild traded up right in front of us....I thought for sure he would be scooped up and when they took someone else.......
    I would have been pissed if we passed him up for Esposito.

I'd of been ticked off as well...Espo slid to 20 and the Value pick could be the heist of the draft !!

All League
    It looks like this may happen sooner than we think!!
    This franchise NEEDS a stud like this kid.
    Let's hope he is the real thing!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks!
    It looks like this may happen sooner than we think!!
    This franchise NEEDS a stud like this kid.
    Let's hope he is the real thing!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

Jets Insider VIP
    My concern now is the future of Al Montoya. From what I read, it seems as though the Rangers are looking to deal him. I think that would be a huge mistake. First of all, Lundqvist is a great goalie but I don't think he should be starting 60+ games a year. When he plays too much, he does have a tendency to give up soft goals, especially over his shoulders. Also, what happens if Lundqvist gets hurt? Then what? The Rangers need to keep Montoya. And as I've said many times before, he should be the back-up and get about 25 starts. We all saw what happened to the last "blue-chip" goalie the Rangers had...Dan Blackburn. There are no guarantees. Keep Montoya!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    My concern now is the future of Al Montoya. From what I read, it seems as though the Rangers are looking to deal him. I think that would be a huge mistake. First of all, Lundqvist is a great goalie but I don't think he should be starting 60+ games a year. When he plays too much, he does have a tendency to give up soft goals, especially over his shoulders. Also, what happens if Lundqvist gets hurt? Then what? The Rangers need to keep Montoya. And as I've said many times before, he should be the back-up and get about 25 starts. We all saw what happened to the last "blue-chip" goalie the Rangers had...Dan Blackburn. There are no guarantees. Keep Montoya!
    Yes, but with Al there is so much value in the market for a good goalie. Al is NHL ready, teams will be offering. Ya gotta pull the trigger.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, but with Al there is so much value in the market for a good goalie. Al is NHL ready, teams will be offering. Ya gotta pull the trigger.
    And if Lundqvist gets hurt or badly slumps?

Jets Insider VIP
    For the record, it's Alexei.

Jets Insider VIP
    For the record, it's Alexei.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    And if Lundqvist gets hurt or badly slumps?
    Weeks. Keep him. Pay him base salary.

I know lol I forgot the e. Why the attitude it seems lol.

All Pro

Valiquette will be the back up. Montoya can be traded for a top prospect/young pro and add to one of the best young cores in the NHL. I was thinking Horton from Florida until he signed a 6 year extension.

Jets Insider VIP

Weekes is a free agent and it doesn't appear the Rangers are interested in re-signing him. Thankfully, because I think he sucks. Lundqvist and Montoya would make a very nice tandem and give the Rangers a very solid goaltending corps.

As for the other thing. No attitude at all. I was just correcting the guy's name. I think that's reasonable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Valiquette will be the back up. Montoya can be traded for a top prospect/young pro and add to one of the best young cores in the NHL. I was thinking Horton from Florida until he signed a 6 year extension.
    IMO Valiquette is too tall to be a viable NHL goalie. He's just not quick enough and in today's game, goalie quickness is crucial. I have no confidence in him or Weekes when they're between the pipes