Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Army Officer's affidavit to U.S. Supreme Court about CSRTs

[url]http://depaullaw.typepad.com/library/2007/06/some_in_congres.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Greenwave81]let's see a reference...where did that come from?

next question....

Was that written by the present administration, or has it been in existence for military tribunals previously?

Not being snide, I want to know.[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=cr726]Think this creates a ton of pressure and I don't want to see what typically happens with this Administration. Lie, lie and leave it for the next guy to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reference link.

You do realize that the Pentagon is using law [b]passed by both houses of congress and not the whim of the president's administration, right[/b]?

[QUOTE]CONGRESSIONAL RECORD, Vol. 152 (2006):
    Sept. 27, 28, considered and passed Senate.
    Sept. 29, considered and passed House.
    [/QUOTE]

Here is Leahy's own words from your reference:

[QUOTE]Habeas corpus was recklessly undermined in last year’s legislation. [b](Legislation means Congress)[/b] Senator Specter and I urged caution before taking that dangerous step, but fell just a few votes shy on our amendment to restore these protections [b](in congress)[/b]. It is now six months later with the election behind us[b] (a congressional election, not POTUS)[/b]. I hope that the new Senate will reconsider this historic error in judgment and set the matter right.[b](for a perceived error of a past congress)[/b][/QUOTE]

In short, this is a [b]congressional issue, not presidential or Pentagon[/b].

You got the house and senate....change it.

I understand your point, but do you disagree with mine?

The gov't is awesome at creating ridiuculous goals and very creative to make us believe them.

Stats it is all about stats.

[QUOTE=Greenwave81]Thanks for the reference link.

You do realize that the Pentagon is using law [b]passed by both houses of congress and not the whim of the president's administration, right[/b]?

Here is Leahy's own words from your reference:

In short, this is a [b]congressional issue, not presidential or Pentagon[/b].

You got the house and senate....change it.[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=cr726]I understand your point, but do you disagree with mine?

The gov't is awesome at creating ridiuculous goals and very creative to make us believe them.

Stats it is all about stats.[/QUOTE]

Sort of.

Unless they are an American citizen at which point their habeus corpus rights should be recognized, I'm going to give our Government pretty wide latitude in their prosecution of issues with regard to potential terrorists.

This isn't your classic 'war' where people represent sovereign enemy nations so as to be easy to assign motive or combatant status; these a$$holes represent a religion/philosophy/cult and makes identifying them or prosecuting them harder.

I understand this is an important topic; but I also understand that enemies of our country use our 'civility' and 'law' against us and to their advantage...I also am not as quick as some to immediately jump to the conclusion that stuff like this is a particular example of a government 'run amok'...for all I know as an outsider who is not part of the process, the government/military may be garnering very useful information from these prisoners that is helpful in the prosecution of the war and I can also inderstand that surrendering all or part of this information might jeopardize intelligence operations that can be protecting American lives.

I believe that at the core we Americans are a 'good' people, that strives to recognize human rights whenever possible...but in some instances, being good can get you killed and mistakes along the way invariably happen. This is new territory we are navigating here, so I do not presume that the 'standard' ways are still applicable in every instance.