Thread: Maybethe Gold Cup should have been on an English speaking channel

Maybethe Gold Cup should have been on an English speaking channel

NEW YORK (AP) -- The CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the Stanley Cup finals clincher -- and that was just for the soccer game's Spanish-language telecast.

The United States' 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Mexico on Sunday received a 2.5 fast national rating on Univision, the network said Tuesday. That translates to 2.83 million households, nearly double the 1.48 million homes that watched the 2005 Gold Cup final between the United States and Panama.

This year's English-language telecast was on the Fox Soccer Channel, which is available in about 30 million homes and is not rated.

Anaheim's series-ending 6-2 victory over Ottawa in the Stanley Cup on June 6 received a 1.8 rating on NBC, which comes to 2,005,000 households.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and a ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.
    Of course, it is a Mexican channel, so it's not too surprisng they had higher ratings... still, I wish the Copa America was on an english speaking channel too. I think the ratings go up when the US is playing major tournament games, even even friendlies against good competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist
    Of course, it is a Mexican channel, so it's not too surprisng they had higher ratings... still, I wish the Copa America was on an english speaking channel too. I think the ratings go up when the US is playing major tournament games, even even friendlies against good competition.

A match like that should be on ESPN, or at least on ESPN2. What's on ESPN2 on a Sunday afternoon, anyway?

If you are a serious soccer fan you have FSC.

I know it's a little late to jump in on this thread, but Copa America was well done on GOL TV english channel.

Personally, I'll take GOL over FSC most of the time. For my taste, better coverage, and better announcers. I can't remember the english(or maybe Scottish) guys name, but his "magic" and "orgasm" references usually have me in hysterics.

Argentina vs Brazil was a good game yesterday in case you missed it. Argies looked strong early, but Baptista's early stunner was "brilliant." The Argies tired in the second half. Maybe from the heat.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich
    I know it's a little late to jump in on this thread, but Copa America was well done on GOL TV english channel.

Personally, I'll take GOL over FSC most of the time. For my taste, better coverage, and better announcers. I can't remember the english(or maybe Scottish) guys name, but his "magic" and "orgasm" references usually have me in hysterics.

Argentina vs Brazil was a good game yesterday in case you missed it. Argies looked strong early, but Baptista's early stunner was "brilliant." The Argies tired in the second half. Maybe from the heat.
    Agreed, but GolTV is not carried on nearly as many cable systems as FSC. The real deal is Setanta Sports, but you need Directv for that.

What always upsets me is that you can get an SAP broadcast on english speaking channels for Spanish but you can't get it on a Spanish channel for English. Always seems to go one way but what else is new in this age we live in?