Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Craig Biggio:Hall of Fame?

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005

    Craig Biggio:Hall of Fame?

    Well now that he got 3,000 im absolutely positive he will get in. But do you guys think he is worthy of it? Yeah he had a great career but he hit 300 only 4 times and only had one season of 200 or more hits. He did have some impressive OBP years, but i just dont see the string of dominant seasons that a lot of people seem to base hall of fame credentials on. Am i wrong in thinking this, or should he really be considered a fringe hall of famer rather than a lock?

    Re looking at the stats though he did put together some very impressive years in terms of Runs and Stolen bases.

    I know there are a lot more stat savy folks on this board than me, so please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 06-29-2007 at 11:51 AM.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby2glocks
    Well now that he got 3,000 im absolutely positive he will get in. But do you guys think he is worthy of it? Yeah he had a great career but he hit 300 only 4 times and only had one season of 200 or more hits. He did have some impressive OBP years, but i just dont see the string of dominant seasons that a lot of people seem to base hall of fame credentials on. Am i wrong in thinking this, or should he really be considered a fringe hall of famer rather than a lock?

    Re looking at the stats though he did put together some very impressive years in terms of Runs and Stolen bases.

    I know there are a lot more stat savy folks on this board than me, so please enlighten me.
    Not even a question. This guy is a first ballot vast majority vote Hall of Famer.

  3. #3
    First ballot easily.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    He wasn't ever a really, really, great player. But he was a good player who was able to stick around a long time and compile numbers, and from 93-99 there was no question that he was an Elite Second Baseman in the game. I think he'll very likely get in as 3 Thousand Hits is something you cant really take away, even in the Steroids Era.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    He wasn't ever a really, really, great player. But he was a good player who was able to stick around a long time and compile numbers, and from 93-99 there was no question that he was an Elite Second Baseman in the game. I think he'll very likely get in as 3 Thousand Hits is something you cant really take away, even in the Steroids Era.
    I disagree that he wasn't ever a great player. If you look at the position he played, he had many seasons where he was a great, great player.

  6. #6
    From '92 to '99, Biggio was a GREAT, great player.

    Do you know how hard it is to put up .325/.403/.503 in the Astrodome?

    He didn't hit HRs, which in the 90's left him unnoticed. But he was one of the best players of the 90's.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island & Section 337
    Posts
    4,859
    If Biggio is a HOF'er, but Dale Murphy and Jim Rice are not, then something is wrong. Biggio was a great player, but was he substantially better than Rice or Murphy? I say no.
    Is Jim Thome a HOF'er? Looks like he will get to 500 HR's, too. Good player yes, HOF'er, don't think so.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio
    If Biggio is a HOF'er, but Dale Murphy and Jim Rice are not, then something is wrong. Biggio was a great player, but was he substantially better than Rice or Murphy? I say no.
    Is Jim Thome a HOF'er? Looks like he will get to 500 HR's, too. Good player yes, HOF'er, don't think so.

    He was a better player than them IMO.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    He wasn't ever a really, really, great player. But he was a good player who was able to stick around a long time and compile numbers, and from 93-99 there was no question that he was an Elite Second Baseman in the game. I think he'll very likely get in as 3 Thousand Hits is something you cant really take away, even in the Steroids Era.
    He wasn't a super elite player, but him and Bagwell are HUGE in Houston. The total faces of that franchise, and that will also help him.

    And, he played on some good teams, went to a lot of allstar games, won multiple gold gloves, 3000 hits, #1 in getting hit by pitches (for what that's worth), was very durable, very likable, and played 3 positions (C, 2B, CF).

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    He was a better player than them IMO.
    Dale Murphy was great for a couple of years, Rice should probably get in, but it's hard to compare a second baseman with a OF.

  11. #11
    If the writers can vote Ozzie Smith in, Biggio should be a no brainer.
    19 seasons with a total of 28 home runs and a .262 career BA...yeah, real HOF numbers...the guy is in the HOF because he's a circus act.
    Last edited by NIGHT STALKER; 06-29-2007 at 02:32 PM.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    He was a better player than them IMO.
    I Agree.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob
    He wasn't a super elite player, but him and Bagwell are HUGE in Houston. The total faces of that franchise, and that will also help him.

    And, he played on some good teams, went to a lot of allstar games, won multiple gold gloves, 3000 hits, #1 in getting hit by pitches (for what that's worth), was very durable, very likable, and played 3 positions (C, 2B, CF).
    Only because theres like 3 "super elite" players not in NYC/Boston according to the media.

    Both Biggio and Bagwell slot nicely into the top 5-10 at their positions in baseball history. Thats pretty sick.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,790
    Can someone tell me what's wrong with compiling numbers? Why do some people use that term as a detraction from athletes performance? It's simply idiotic.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    Only because theres like 3 "super elite" players not in NYC/Boston according to the media.

    Both Biggio and Bagwell slot nicely into the top 5-10 at their positions in baseball history. Thats pretty sick.
    I don't say that because he wasn't in NY. I say that because he was never considered one of the top 2 or 3 players in the game, he never threatend to win an MVP. Bagwell in his prime was a better player than Biggio.

    But Biggio was definately one of the top second basemen in his prime, probably only Roberto Alomar was better (a great player, very under rated due to the spitting thing).

    And why not play as long as possible, compiling numbers. He can still play, and shoot, what's he going to do that is more fun and pays better than what he's doing now?

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen
    Can someone tell me what's wrong with compiling numbers? Why do some people use that term as a detraction from athletes performance? It's simply idiotic.
    There's nothing wrong with it, but the point is that Biggio's 3000 Hits is a product of longevity and not because he was an Super Elite Contract Hitter (As shown by his .282 Career Average).

    Just because he has 3000 Hits does not mean he should be mentioned in the same breath as people as Tony Gwynn for example, who hit over 50 points higher over his Entire Career (.338)

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    First ballot easily.
    Agree. If he'd been a Yankee he'd be hailed in almost the same manner as Jeter is. The last few seasons have crippled his career BA and OBP a little but other than that his numbers aren't that far behind Jetes and probably will be better HR and SB wise at the end of their careers.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    There's nothing wrong with it, but the point is that Biggio's 3000 Hits is a product of longevity and not because he was an Super Elite Contract Hitter (As shown by his .282 Career Average).

    Just because he has 3000 Hits does not mean he should be mentioned in the same breath as people as Tony Gwynn for example, who hit over 50 points higher over his Entire Career (.338)
    Well, Biggio offered alot more than Gwynn. Gwynn was a high average hitter with little power and he took few walks. Biggio had alot of power for his position and park, and took alot more walks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us