Thread: Scott Gomez Signs With The Rangers

Scott Gomez Signs With The Rangers

LINK

Scott Gomez is staying in the Tri-State area, but not with the only team he's played for in his seven-year NHL career.

Gomez, one of the top centers on the free-agent market, signed a seven-year deal with the New York Rangers, ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek reports.

Financial terms are not yet known.

Gomez, who won two Stanley Cups with the Devils, has scored 116 goals in his stellar career and assisted on 334 more.
    ================================================== ================
    John Dellapina of the New York Daily News confirms :

Scott Gomez is about to attempt to succeed where Bobby Holik, Bruce Driver and John MacLean could not -- going from the Devils to the Rangers.

The 27-year-old playmaking center is finalizing a deal with the Rangers that will pay him in excess of $7 million per season for seven years.

The Rangers have yet to confirm the deal. But Glen Sather and Co. have spent the day focused upon signing Gomez. And now that they have, it appears that Michael Nylander's highly productive days as a Ranger have come to an end -- perhaps with him landing in Gomez' place as the Devils' top-line center or back in Washington playing pivot for Alexander Ovechkin.
    Last edited by mario8723; 07-01-2007 at 07:17 PM.

All League
    Well it was a good pick up (along with Drury) and I couldn't be happier that we actually made some major moves early in FA. THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This sucks. The Devs are gonna have a tough year thanks to the cap. Nice move by the Rangers. I don't know what the hell is going on in LI, but things just went from bad to worse.

I can't figure out how the Rangers will be under the cap with Gomez, Drury, Jagr, Shanahan, and Lundquist all on the same roster.

How is that possible?

I think half of Jagr's contract is being paid by Washington?

great move by sather bec it strengthens our scoring & weakens 2
    playoff teams in dev's & sabres!!!!!

Nylander signed with Edmonton.

Now the rangers need to get another buekeboom on defense!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy
    I can't figure out how the Rangers will be under the cap with Gomez, Drury, Jagr, Shanahan, and Lundquist all on the same roster.

How is that possible?
    According to the Daily News, the Rangers are still $12M under the cap. As long as Shanahan is willing to play for about $3M, which I believe he will be, they can get Lundqvist, Avery, Prucha, Hossa and Shanahan done. Now I saw a rumor that linked them to Souray. I can't see that happening unless they unload Malik (which would bring me much joy) and not sign Prucha, Hossa or Avery (not gonna happen).

The problem for the Islanders is no big name free agents want to play there. Wang gets involved in hockey decisions when he has no business doing so. Garth Snow has NO experience as a GM. The building is in shambles and players are afraid that Ted Nolan will shag their wives while their backs are turned.