Thread: Eddie Curry Trade - End Result

Eddie Curry Trade - End Result

Now that the draft is done, I wanted to assess the end result of the Eddie Curry trade. This is all speculative since who knows what moves were done because this trade occured and what Isiah would have done with those picks. But here it is.

Knicks get

Eddie Curry
    Antonio Davis

Bulls get
    Mike Sweetney
    Tim Thomas
    J.Jackson
    First round pick (#2 overall)
    Swap picks (#23 for #9)
    There may have been two second round picks also here

In the end of the day this translates to

Knicks get
    Curry
    Balkman (from Antonio Davis trade)
    W.Chandler

Bulls get
    Tyrus Thomas
    Joakim Noah

Viktor Khryapa (from Tyrus thomas trade) and Mike Sweetney amounted to nothing.

Again, I think that Isiah might have done better with those draft picks, either picking players or trading, but this turned out to be an ok trade for the Knicks, especially if Chandler turns out to be a player.

totally wrong.

2 lottery picks, 2 2nd rounders, sweetney, and expiring contracts, for eddy curry and a late 1st rounder (the swap).

isiah got ripped off any way you slice it.

what the bulls ended up doing with the picks is irrelevant. who cares what they got? what matters is what isiah gave away.

While I agree with you in principle (gave up too much when the bulls had no other takers) there are a few problems with your argument.

1- Sweetney in nothing more than a 11 or 12th man at best and doesn't mean anything to the trade.

2- The biggest problem with the draft picks is that they ended up being lottery picks. If they were middle picks (late teens or early twenties) it would not have been too much to give up.

3- He didn't give up two picks since he swapped one of them (again a stupid option).

So Isiah's issues were a) not protecting the pick thinking they would be in the playoffs with Brown and b) agreeing to a stupid swap.

From the Knicks side I think people will always look at it as Curry and Chandler. I dont think Balkman is much in play though he was a byproduct of the trade. Basically they will be evaluated against Tyrus Thomas(who the Knicks would have selected over anyone else in that spot) and anyone selected between 9 and 12. There is no guarantee the Knicks select Noah with that pick this year. But I think its safe to say they would have taken someone out of the Noah, Law, Hawes, Young grouping. If any of them become big stars and Curry stays where he is or is overshadowed by Randolph its going to go down as a bad move.

The other train of thought is that without Eddy Curry the Knicks would have been in far better shape to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant. While I dont really think Curry made a big difference one way or another towards them winning a few games some people will definitely disagree saying it cost the team a chance to win the lottery.

The thing is - the knicks would not have drafted anyone, instead trading for a big name a la the Celtics trade for Allen.

Veteran
    Don't forget the Bulls got the expiring contracts and signed Ben Wallace with the cap space.
    W/o trading Curry no Big Ben.

Tyrus Thomas is going to be a monster.
    I don't have the numbers in front of me, but his per is awesome.

I think Thomas and Noah would've looked great with ZBo...better than Curry and ZBo.
    Bulls win trade.
    Last edited by chops44; 07-04-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chops44
    Don't forget the Bulls got the expiring contracts and signed Ben Wallace with the cap space.
    W/o trading Curry no Big Ben.

Tyrus Thomas is going to be a monster.
    I don't have the numbers in front of me, but his per is awesome.
    Its way to early to say anything on Thomas until he starts playing significant minutes. His per game averages would be something like 15, 10, and 3 if he played starters minutes, but you can probably find a good deal of guys who would have great stats if you guessed it based on a small sampling. My guess is that his stats are equal to Josh Boones who was selected way down from Thomas.