Thread: Is Reyes becoming a dog?

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Is Reyes becoming a dog?

Last nite was the 2nd time he got benched for not running out a grounder. I didn't see either play. Is it as bad as it sounds? Not a good way to be going into the All-Star Game.

Hall Of Fame
    How about Willie bench the other dogs?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Last nite was the 2nd time he got benched for not running out a grounder. I didn't see either play. Is it as bad as it sounds? Not a good way to be going into the All-Star Game.
    Nah, no dog there. He's a victim of "thinking" too much at the plate. Last week Willie admitted that he's had the reigns on Reyes this year, trying to get his walks and stolen bases up. You can literally see that when he stands at the plate. They just have to let him play and forget about trying to make him something (one particular thing) he's got way too much talent to be screwing with. The second half will be different.

Hall Of Fame
    I just think Reyes thought the ball was going to go foul and didn't run it out....both the games we were down by a few runs and I think he just needed a bit of a wake-up call and a reminder to play 9 full innings and Im hoping pulling him out of the game provided exactly that.

I'm not overly worried long-term as many young players have a similar moment where they don't run out a ball (Not as blatently as Reyes did though), it's just the type of behavior you have to nip in the bud before it becomes a problem which it seems like we did.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 07-07-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    "The message is going to be loud and clear for anyone," Randolph declared. "It doesn't matter who it is. You don't get after it every day and bust your butt and play hard, you sit. That's all.

"He usually plays hard all the time. That's the key. Play hard all the time. Okay? There are times where you get a little frustrated when you pop a ball up. We've all been there. We've all done that. I'm not talking about that. But when you're the heart and soul of this team - and we all expect everyone to work hard and play hard - then I want to see the effort. I'm not going to tolerate that from anyone. Anybody who plays for me is going to know they're going to play hard, run hard."

Hall Of Fame
    The only thing that pisses me off is that Delgado and Franco do the same thing and nothing happens to them. Willie cares about Reyes and Wright, but he's given up on the has-beens. They've got to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    The only thing that pisses me off is that Delgado and Franco do the same thing and nothing happens to them. Willie cares about Reyes and Wright, but he's given up on the has-beens. They've got to go.
    Delgado and Franco have Never Stopped 5 Feet down the baseline and just stood there watching themselves get thrown out.

They might jog down the line on an obvious out, but just about every single player in the league does that and they at least made the effort. Reyes didn't even try, he didn't force a throw. He just stood there. That is what is unacceptable.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Delgado and Franco have Never Stopped 5 Feet down the baseline and just stood there watching themselves get thrown out.

They might jog down the line on an obvious out, but just about every single player in the league does that and they at least made the effort. Reyes didn't even try, he didn't force a throw. He just stood there. That is what is unacceptable.
    Not hustling is not hustling. And those two do plenty of it with no consequences.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Not hustling is not hustling. And those two do plenty of it with no consequences.
    There's still a huge difference in the degree of it.

First of all, we don't know if Willie has said anything in private to Delgado or Franco (Or anyone else that doesn't always hustle). Which he probably has, Reyes gets the more severe punishment because of the extent of the lack of hustle.

But even if he hasn't you can kinda look the other way when a player runs down the line at 80% on an Obvious out. Jose Reyes didn't even bother to run down the baseline.

It's still apples and oranges.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    There's still a huge difference in the degree of it.

First of all, we don't know if Willie has said anything in private to Delgado or Franco (Or anyone else that doesn't always hustle). Which he probably has, Reyes gets the more severe punishment because of the extent of the lack of hustle.

But even if he hasn't you can kinda look the other way when a player runs down the line at 80% on an Obvious out. Jose Reyes didn't even bother to run down the baseline.

It's still apples and oranges.
    All I'm saying is that if others don't hustle down the line every time, they should be pulled. Managers should not take this garbage from anyone.

I heard he's also unclutch as hell.

All League
    I understand Reyes made a mistake and didn't run out the play. I believe he should've been benched.

BUT, am I being a homer or did anyone else think that Berkman should've gotten drilled for rubbing it in by running to 1st base to show up Reyes when he could've just thrown the ball over?

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    BUT, am I being a homer or did anyone else think that Berkman should've gotten drilled for rubbing it in by running to 1st base to show up Reyes when he could've just thrown the ball over?
    Given that it was Reyes' own fault, how the hell can you blame Berkman? If Reyes runs, then Berkman wouldn't do that.

And, if he isn't going to even venture towards first, what's the point of risking screwing up the throw? If he's going to let you, you might as well take away all risk of throwing the ball away.

edit: I mean Mike Lamb - he's the third baseman, not Berkman.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 07-08-2007 at 04:07 PM.