Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Clemens: "Only a 5 inning pitcher"

Roger Clemens: "Only a 5 inning pitcher"

How many times did we hear this?

Well, he has now pitched 6, 6.1, 4.1 (in Colorado), 6, 8, and 8 innings in his respective starts.

What people didn't understand is that he was only going 6 innings in each outing last year because most of the games he started they needed to remove him for a pinch hitter as the games would be tied at 1 or they'd be down 2-1 or something like that.

It's just kind of funny to see all these so called experts proven wrong once again.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    How many times did we hear this?

Well, he has now pitched 6, 6.1, 4.1 (in Colorado), 6, 8, and 8 innings in his respective starts.

What people didn't understand is that he was only going 6 innings in each outing last year because most of the games he started they needed to remove him for a pinch hitter as the games would be tied at 1 or they'd be down 2-1 or something like that.

It's just kind of funny to see all these so called experts proven wrong once again.
    I believe he was called a 6 inning pitcher, and he was called that because his pitch counts are usually around 100 after 6 innings and he is pulled, not because of Pinch Hitters (As still shown by 2/3 of his starts this year as well).

His past 2 starts he's only given up 7 Hits and 2 walks over those 16 Innings, but don't expect him to make a habit of that. He'll be back to his 6 inning form soon enough.

The funny part though is that being a 6 Inning Pitcher shouldn't really be an insult. Most of baseball averages about 6 Innings a Start nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    I believe he was called a 6 inning pitcher, and he was called that because his pitch counts are usually around 100 after 6 innings and he is pulled, not because of Pinch Hitters (As still shown by 2/3 of his starts this year as well).

His past 2 starts he's only given up 7 Hits and 2 walks over those 16 Innings, but don't expect him to make a habit of that. He'll be back to his 6 inning form soon enough.

The funny part though is that being a 6 Inning Pitcher shouldn't really be an insult. Most of baseball averages about 6 Innings a Start nowadays.
    Well he was a 6 inning pitcher in the NL, so people figured he would be more of a 5 inning guy in the AL, occasionally going 6.

I actually also thought that was funny. People were saying that this wouldn't help the Yanks as they would still have to use the pen for 3-4 innings everytime he starts, amazingly not realizingly he was replacing guys that were going 3 innings a start.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    5 or 6 who cares. Whats his record?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    5 or 6 who cares. Whats his record?
    W-L record doesn't mean sh*t when judging a pitcher. He has a 3.63 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP... And he seems to be improving with every start.

W-L record doesn't mean sh*t when judging a pitcher. He has a 3.63 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP... And he seems to be improving with every start.
    He's more of a football fan than a baseball fan.

The concept that QB/pitchers control everything is still huge and not likely to be overturned.

Anyway...not only is Clemens a 6 inning pitcher...he's completely unclutch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato

The concept that QB/pitchers control everything is still huge and not likely to be overturned.

Unlike Jeter.

Jeter is very clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Unlike Jeter.

Jeter is very clutch.
    As clutch as they get. Captain Intangibles. A TRUE winner. A leader of men.

All League

Clemens has had his great clutch moments though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan
    Unlike Jeter.

Jeter is very clutch.
    He wasn't on Saturday...

Jeter isn't clutch or unclutch. He's just a really good player that maintains being a really good player in pressure situations. Sometimes he fails, sometimes he succeeds.

By the way, where are all of Ortiz's clutch moments this year? Did he forget how to be clutch?

All Pro

2001 WS game 7 versus Arizona when he outpitched Shilling AND Johnson?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    Or the 2001 WS game 3 with the Yankees down 2-0 and he pitched an absolute gem to bring the Yankees back into the series?

If Mariano doesn't throw the ball into the outfield because of the wet conditions Clemens is without a shadow of a doubt the 2001 WS MVP.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    ask McNamara how clutch the TX Con Man is. Boo hoo....my pinky hurts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    By the way, where are all of Ortiz's clutch moments this year? Did he forget how to be clutch?
    Well when you are 14 games up, clutch don't come up too often.

Well when you are 14 games up, clutch don't come up too often.
    Sure they do. Sox have been in a lot of close games this year. Just the other day vs. the Tigers, the Sox were down a run in the 9th with 0 outs and Pedroia at 1st base and Ortiz up. If he had homered or even got a double or hit, that would be the definition of a clutch hit. He failed though. Another that comes to my mind is the game against the Yanks where A-Rod homered off of Papelbon and Ortiz had a chance in the 9th but flew out instead.

And I believe you are 10 up.

You missed my sarcasm.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sure they do. Sox have been in a lot of close games this year. Just the other day vs. the Tigers, the Sox were down a run in the 9th with 0 outs and Pedroia at 1st base and Ortiz up. If he had homered or even got a double or hit, that would be the definition of a clutch hit. He failed though. Another that comes to my mind is the game against the Yanks where A-Rod homered off of Papelbon and Ortiz had a chance in the 9th but flew out instead.

10, 14, whats the diff.

All League

Games 4 and 5 2004 ALCS. Argument over!

All League
    10, 14, whats the diff.

9 in the loss, fwiw.

The Al east isnt over yet.

10, 14, whats the diff.
    9 now. I guess you agree with the overall point then? And once again, on Friday night, Ortiz comes up in a clutch situation and doesn't do a thing.