Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airman Shot By Anti War Protester.. CLM Silent.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like

Airman Shot By Anti War Protester.. CLM Silent.

[url]http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/07/media_silence_on_antiwar_viole.html[/url]

[quote]July 09, 2007
    Media Silence on Antiwar Violence (updated)
    Patrick Poole
    An Air Force airman was shot by antiwar protestor on July 4th, but the establishment media and liberal blogs yawn. Airman Jonathan Schrieken, 22, is fighting for his life after being shot in the heart by a gunman intending to make an antiwar statement, while standing outside his home near McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey on July 4th. Airman Schrieken, a loadmaster with the 6th Airlift Squadron based at McGuire, remains in critical condition at a Camden, New Jersey hospital.

The antiwar gunman, Matthew J. Marren, killed himself after shooting Schrieken and left two suicide notes explaining that he was "mad at the government".

Meanwhile, the establishment media ignores the story. The initial Associated Press report on the incident never mentioned Marren's motive for shooting Schrieken. The first media outlet to discuss Marren's intent to make an antiwar statement on the 4th of July by killing a member of our military was Phillyburbs.com, and the story has only gained national attention after a post over the weekend at LittleGreenFootballs.com.

A member of Marren's family described to Phillyburbs.com his reasons behind the attack:
    Marren's aunt, Terina Henderson of Trion, Ga., said she spoke to Marren's mother yesterday who told her Marren left two notes, one in his home and one in his car, indicating he was upset with the government.

She said she did not know the exact wording in the notes, but said Marren was "mad at the government and wanted to make a statement ... that's why he did what he did on the Fourth of July."
    Over at LGF, a friend of the Schrieken family described the attack:
    He had been on leave here in Ohio and got back to his home off base and was unpacking stuff from his car when this 22 year old guy walked up to him and asked him if he lived in the house. When Jon said yes, the guy said "not any more" and shot him point blank in the chest. He tried to shoot him again, but his gun jammed. Jonathan made it into the house. The guy then shot himself.
    This makes it clear that Marren had nothing short of murder on his mind. Providentially, the gun jammed, allowing for Schrieken to escape into his house, where he lived with several other Airmen.

If Airman Schrieken had been an abortionist or homosexual, this story would be front page news for the New York Times and the lead story on CBS News with Katie Couric for at least the next month. But since Schrieken is serving in the military, even his hometown newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch, has ignored this story.

Predictably, a law enforcement spokesman says that Marren's suicide notes "were indicative of an individual suffering from mental-health problems", but that raises the question of how anyone could identify anyone suffering from mental-health problems amidst those devoted to bizarre conspiracy theories and the virulent anti-Americanism of the antiwar movement. If anything, Marren would have fit right in unnoticed.

It is also worth noting that Marren was merely following the logic of the anti-war movement's standard public rhetoric. Their language is laced with suggestive undertones justifying attacks against our military, calling our armed forces fighting the War on Terror "baby-killers", constantly invoking the specter of Abu Ghraib, and citing their grossly inflated statistics of civilians accidentally killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Such reckless and unbalanced rhetoric (they're not quite as adept at keeping statistics on those murdered by terrorists) fuels the hatred that drives someone like Marren to violence against a member of our own military.

Antiwar supporters will no doubt disclaim any responsibility for Marren's attack, but in any other circumstance involving someone engaged in a politically incorrect crime, Leftists would not hesitate to point their fingers at the conservative movement. One might recall the attack on "right-wing talk radio" following Matthew Shepherd's murder and Hillary Clinton's indictment of the same after the Oklahoma City bombing. Add to that the attacks by the ACLU and others on the pro-life movement after the shootings of two abortion doctors in the 1990s.

But now that someone has acted on the antiwar movement's anti-military rhetoric, don't expect to hear any apologies from Cindy Sheehan, International A.N.S.W.E.R., Daily Kos, or Rep. John Murtha. And certainly don't expect the establishment media to give this heart-rending story the coverage it deserves.

I hope that Airman Schrieken will quickly and fully recover from his injuries. Realistically, his injuries may very well force him out of the military. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Schrieken family.

Update:

Readers wishing to send Airman Schieken a get-well card and thank him for his service to our country can reach him at:

Jonathan Schrieken
    Room 720 by the door
    Cooper University Hospital
    1 Cooper Plaza
    Camden NJ 08103[/quote]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Preaching peace by committing violence.........just brilliant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is very unfortunate. There are always extremists on both sides. Get well soon Airman Schieken.

Also if the shooter had mental health issues this make the case for a better healthcare system stronger.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    YEah, we know....all protesters are wack-jobs who don't have a job...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's awful. Get well soon, indeed.

I am pretty surprised that I haven't heard this on any other news source.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck to the airman and his family. Absolutely terrible that he should risk his life for his country abroad and come back and get shot by some nut here.

From the accounts I've read, the shooter sounds like a mentally ill individual. Someday, someone will explain to me why it's so easy for someone disturbed to buy a handgun. I don't understand why gun licenses aren't at least as hard to obtain/maintain as driver's licenses.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola]Best of luck to the airman and his family. Absolutely terrible that he should risk his life for his country abroad and come back and get shot by some nut here.

From the accounts I've read, the shooter sounds like a mentally ill individual. Someday, someone will explain to me why it's so easy for someone disturbed to buy a handgun. I don't understand why gun licenses aren't at least as hard to obtain/maintain as driver's licenses.[/QUOTE]

How do we even know he obtained the gun legally?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]How do we even know he obtained the gun legally?[/QUOTE]

it's called justifying one of their own...

he must have been mentally ill and he must've obtained the gun illegally....as a result this murder will eventually be blamed on the NRA...

there was a thread a while ago about an Iraqi vet whose was counter-protesting the "peace protestors" in DC last March...he was spit on...one of the looney leftists on this forum, parafly, claimed the Iraqi vet must've said something to provoke being spit on....

this will be no different....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 07-10-2007 at 10:57 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]How do we even know he obtained the gun legally?[/QUOTE]

I don't know that, but anytime a mentally ill person --and that's what we're dealing with here, if the investigators are telling the truth-- gets a gun it is worth investigating how that happened.

I'm not blaming this on the NRA, or on the antiwar movement. No one is preaching violence against our soldiers. The idea for most protestors is to get the troops out of harm's way.

Their beef is with Bush, not the people who are just following his orders.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's a sad situation on all sides

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some more information on this...

[url]http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/07/09/airman.html[/url]

Man shoots Reynoldsburg serviceman, then commits suicide
    Senior airman survives gunshot wound to chest
    Monday, July 9, 2007 11:33 PM
    By Matthew Marx

The Columbus Dispatch
    A Reynoldsburg High School alumnus serving in the U.S. Air Force is recovering after he was shot in New Jersey on July 4.

Senior Airman Jonathan Schrieken, 22, said from a hospital bed tonight that he's still too tired to discuss the shooting, in which he was targeted, apparently at random, by a suicidal gunman, authorities said.

But Schrieken said he was recuperating and resting with relatives from Ohio at his side.

He was in serious but stable condition at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, N.J., said Senior Airman Danielle Johnson, a spokeswoman at McGuire Air Force Base. Johnson refused to elaborate.

He was critically injured in the shooting, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. on Independence Day in Willingboro Township, N.J., about 20 miles northeast of Philadelphia.

Schrieken had walked out of his house to get something out of his car when a man approached and shot him once in the chest with a small-caliber handgun and then turned the gun on himself, said First Assistant Prosecutor Raymond Milavsky of Burlington County, N.J.

The shooter, identified as Matthew Marren, 22, of Pennsauken, N.J., was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital that night.

Investigators have no clear-cut motive for Schrieken's shooting, despite two suicide notes left behind by the gunman, Milavsky said. They have no evidence that Schrieken knew his assailant, he said.

"The shooter was a troubled and disturbed individual," Milavsky said. "We will not release the content of these notes."

Marren's parents temporarily disconnected their home phone in New Jersey. An aunt told the Burlington County Times that the suicide notes described Marren's anger at the government and a desire to demonstrate that anger on a national holiday.

Milavsky wouldn't confirm that.

Schrieken is a loadmaster in the 6th Airlift Squadron, based at McGuire. He is living at a rental home in Willingboro Township, N.J.

The loadmaster is part of the aircraft-maintenance crew, said Christine Sullivan, deputy public affairs officer at McGuire.

Schrieken is a 2003 Reynoldsburg High School graduate, Dispatch archives show.

[email]mmarx@dispatch.com[/email]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]he was spit on...one of the looney leftists on this forum, parafly, claimed the Iraqi vet must've said something to provoke being spit on....[/QUOTE]

Yes, what a "looney" train of thought. It is 100% inconceivable to think that an act of spitting on a human being could be provoked in one way or another. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]Yes, what a "looney" train of thought. It is 100% inconceivable to think that an act of spitting on a human being could be provoked in one way or another. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    maybe it was "provoked" by having ideas different from the protestors. how dare people have opinions!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo]maybe it was "provoked" by having ideas different from the protestors. how dare people have opinions!!!![/QUOTE]

Maybe is the key word. The fact is that there are literally dozens of possible scenarios, and it's ignorant to rule any of them out.

I must have really struck a nerve with CBNY on that one. It happened a while ago and he continually brings it up. Doesn't bother me, he looks just as foolish now as he did then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]Maybe is the key word. The fact is that there are literally dozens of possible scenarios, and it's ignorant to rule any of them out.

I must have really struck a nerve with CBNY on that one. It happened a while ago and he continually brings it up. Doesn't bother me, he looks just as foolish now as he did then.[/QUOTE]

Some things never change :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]Maybe is the key word. The fact is that there are literally dozens of possible scenarios, and it's ignorant to rule any of them out.

I must have really struck a nerve with CBNY on that one. It happened a while ago and he continually brings it up. Doesn't bother me, he looks just as foolish now as he did then.[/QUOTE]

just pointing out how libs like you need to justify the actions of pathetic peace protestors....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo]maybe it was "provoked" by having ideas different from the protestors. how dare people have opinions!!!![/QUOTE]

ya think???

libs want free speech....just as long as you speak their language...

they are all for descent...as long as you are descenting with them and not against them...

parafly is just another example of the complete hypocrisy pervasive in today's rat party....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]just pointing out how libs like you need to justify the actions of pathetic peace protestors....[/QUOTE]

I don't need to justify the actions of anyone but myself.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]
    Also if the shooter had mental health issues this make the case for a better healthcare system stronger.[/QUOTE]
    How do you get there from here?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]parafly is just another example of the complete hypocrisy pervasive in today's rat party....[/QUOTE]

Please explain. What exactly am I hypocritical about? I've never been a part of a protest, nor do I ever intend to. Sorry if I don't fully buy the story of a spitting "victim" hook line and sinker like you.