Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: little bush on science and sex

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

little bush on science and sex

Former Bush surgeon general says he was muzzled By Will Dunham
    1 hour, 32 minutes ago

The first U.S. surgeon general appointed by President George W. Bush accused the administration on Tuesday of political interference and muzzling him on key issues like embryonic stem cell research.

"Anything that doesn't fit into the political appointees' ideological, theological or political agenda is ignored, marginalized or simply buried," Dr. Richard Carmona, who served as the nation's top doctor from 2002 until 2006, told a House of Representatives committee.

"The problem with this approach is that in public health, as in a democracy, there is nothing worse than ignoring science, or marginalizing the voice of science for reasons driven by changing political winds. The job of surgeon general is to be the doctor of the nation, not the doctor of a political party," Carmona added.

Carmona said Bush administration political appointees censored his speeches and kept him from talking out publicly about certain issues, including the science on embryonic stem cell research, contraceptives and his misgivings about the administration's embrace of "abstinence-only" sex education.

Carmona's comments came two days before a Senate committee is due to hold a hearing on Bush's nomination of Dr. James Holsinger as his successor. The administration allowed Carmona to finish his term as surgeon general last year without a replacement in place.

Gay rights activists and several leading Democrats have criticized Holsinger for what they see as "anti-gay" writings, but the White House has defended him as well qualified.

U.S. surgeons general in the past have issued influential reports on subjects including smoking, AIDS and mental health.

"Political interference with the work of the surgeon general appears to have reached a new level in this administration," said Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to which Carmona testified.

"The public expects that a surgeon general will be immune from political pressure and be allowed to express his or her professional views based on the best available science," he said.

Carmona said he was politically naive when he took the job, but became astounded at the partisanship and manipulation he witnessed as administration political appointees hemmed him in.

Bush in 2001 allowed federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but only with heavy restrictions that many scientists condemn as stifling.

Carmona said the administration prevented him from voicing views on stem cell research. Many scientists see it as a promising avenue for curing many diseases. But because it involves destroying human embryos, opponents call it immoral.

Carmona said he was prevented from talking publicly even about the science underpinning the research to enable the U.S. public to have a better understanding of a complicated issue. He said most of the public debate over the matter has been driven by political, ideological or theological motivations.

"I was blocked at every turn. I was told the decision had already been made -- stand down, don't talk about it," he said.

Carmona testified with two predecessors, Dr. C. Everett Koop, who served under President Ronald Reagan, and Dr. David Satcher, named by Clinton but whose term ended under Bush.

Carmona said some of his predecessors told him, "We have never seen it as partisan, as malicious, as vindictive, as mean-spirited as it is today, and you clearly have worse than anyone's had."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this administration has been tragic on all issues scientific

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti][B]this administration has been tragic[/B] on all issues scientific[/QUOTE]

period

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    if this clown felt this way why did he stay on board??? why didn't he resign his post?? if it was such a tragedy and he was muzzled why hang around for four years and collect paychecks???

this is no different then the moronic FISA judge who stepped down the day the terrorist surviellience program went public claiming he was against it all along.....sure- but he had no problem collecting a check for something he was against....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    People like him grow retirement balls! All of them. They are correct; but come on..say something earlier..Powell is the same way.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]this administration has been tragic on all issues scientific[/QUOTE]

another funny one, b-man

the failure to waste taxpayer dollars on unethical research
    or programs based on predictive, inaccurate models
    is somehow a tragedy

a lazy and as of late, typical post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]
    a lazy and as of late, typical post[/QUOTE]

hey toilet flush Jet

let me know when your hero George Bush's approval rating breaks 30 ok buddy?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey toilet flush Jet

let me know when your hero George Bush's approval rating breaks 30 ok buddy?[/QUOTE]

a lot sooner then your lunatic leftists in congress break 20...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue of stem-cell research should not be debated from a religious/science point of view, but from one of philosophy and ethics.

If you can create a debate for the morality of abortion, then using stem cells from aborted fetuses is not an issue and it should be allowed.

However, if you cannot defend the debate, and you cannot conclude that abortion is a moral issue, than no matter the good that comes of the research, it would still be considered an immoral act since the good came from an evil act.

Stem-cells gathered from "disposed" embryos from fertility clinics again need to be argued from philosophy.
    At first glance, it appears ethical. But what of these questions:

1) Should it be used to produce children in women that struggle with conception?
    2) What of the possibility that natural selection is in affect? What of the women (couples) that ought not to conceive for weaker gene pools?
    3) Is it possible that by not using the embryos at all would be an immoral act, meaning it should be mandatory that all unused embryos be used for something good?

Anyway, whether Bush legalizes this issue or not, the debate should be brought forth in this manner, NOT the typical ad-nauseum banter between the left and the right or between science and religion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://uglyrepublicans.com/republicans/United-States/Dick-Cheney/cheney-dfmtn.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]another funny one, b-man

[B]the failure to waste taxpayer dollars on unethical research[/B]
    or programs based on predictive, inaccurate models
    is somehow a tragedy

a lazy and as of late, typical post[/QUOTE]

Unethical research??? Since when is using embryos that are otherwise destroyed for research for potential cures unethical?

Hey call me crazy but id rather spend taxpayer dollars on potential cures than on trying to bring democracy to people who do not want it and in the process destroy their country and kill tens of thousands of their people while making our so called enemy (iran) stronger.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Unethical research??? Since when is using embryos that are otherwise destroyed for research for potential cures unethical?

Hey call me crazy but id rather spend taxpayer dollars on potential cures than on trying to bring democracy to people who do not want it and in the process destroy their country and kill tens of thousands of their people while making our so called enemy (iran) stronger.[/QUOTE]

one topic to a thread please

if you dont understand why using embyos
    for quack experimentation that causes nothing
    but malignant tumors is unethical
    you shouldnt be in the medical profession

human life is not play-doh

go sell timeshares or cars - something more ethical

iran is a [u]so called enemy[/u]?

its true what they say-anti-american quack drs from
    foreign lands should go home and stay there

in your case you are a citizen of the eu...but
    wait until youre 45 or else youll have to serve
    in their military again

gd knows what someone in the greek military
    does besides oppress their own citizenry

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]
    [/QUOTE]

except when it's on the other end of a wayward bunker buster bomb

then it's collateral damage

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]one topic to a thread please

if you dont understand why using embyos
    for [B]quack experimentation [/B] that causes nothing
    but malignant tumors is unethical
    you shouldnt be in the medical profession

go sell timeshares or cars - something more ethical

iran is a [u]so called enemy[/u]?

its true what they say-anti-american quack drs from
    foreign lands should go home and stay there

in your case you are a citizen of the eu...but
    wait until youre 45 or else youll have to serve
    in their military again

gd knows what someone in the greek military
    does besides oppress their own citizenry[/QUOTE]

Quack Experimentation???
    Are you really this dumb?? I mean i know you know nothing about the ME, but does your ignorance know no boundaries? You really should learn to read about topics before making your moronic little comments.

As for serving the Greek Army again, sorry but I never served in their army. But i have served 7 years in the US Army. BTW, which Army did you serve in? The Salvation Army? I doubt you are even fit to join them

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Quack Experimentation???
    Are you really this dumb?? I mean i know you know nothing about the ME, but does your ignorance know no boundaries? You really should learn to read about topics before making your moronic little comments.

As for serving the Greek Army again, sorry but I never served in their army. But i[B] have served 7 years in the US Army. BTW, which Army did you serve in? The Salvation Army? I doubt you are even fit to join them[/B][/QUOTE]

Quote of the day!!!!! :yes: :yes: