Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Rangers trade Cullen

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rangers trade Cullen

    Good trade?

    Bad trade?

    Anyone have an opinion on this deal?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    1,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a big Cullen fan. I know he didn't score as much as he was expected to. But, I thought he was such a hard-nosed player. He was fast, can hit, can take a hit, and was EXCELLENT on faceoffs. Personally, I didn't want to see him get traded, and I really enjoyed his style of play. I was hoping for a big year from him for the coming season.

    However, its the nature of the business. You sign guys like Gomez and Drury to deals, you have to cut ties somewhere. Especially if they want to retain Avery.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Freak, how bout the D-man the Rangers recieved in return, Andrew Hutchinson, is he any good?

    Thanks in advance, freak

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like

    wolf pack talent!!!

    This trade clears cap space and creates roster room for centers like Jarkko Immonen from Finland or Brandon Dubinsky who have been great with the Hartford Wolf pack the last 2 seasons. Ryan Callahan emerged as a contributor down the stretch and in the playoffs and I would look for Nigel Dawes also to make an impact. We are really loaded down on the farm and I think we need to keep the energy level high with these hungry talented young guns that can fill out the roster. It's not just about Marc Staal! (who plays in the Ontario league)

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,225
    Post Thanks / Like
    From CBS Sports line



    SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIMGPGAPtsPIM1997-98US Jr. National TeamUSHL150778----------1998-99Michigan State UniversityNCAA3731215261999-00Michigan State UniversityNCAA4251217642000-01Michigan State UniversityNCAA4251924462001-02Michigan State UniversityNCAA3961622242001-02Milwaukee AdmiralsAHL50110----------2002-03Toledo StormECHL102574----------2002-03Milwaukee AdmiralsAHL639172640310102003-04Milwaukee AdmiralsAHL46121224392251116332003-04Nashville PredatorsNHL184484----------2004-05Milwaukee AdmiralsAHL7610354579713482005-06Carolina HurricanesNHL36381118----------2006-07Carolina HurricanesNHL413111430----------NHL Totals9510233352

    Doesn't look like much. Probably going to Hartford. It did clear cap room and space.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGREEN

    This trade clears cap space and creates roster room for centers like Jarkko Immonen from Finland or Brandon Dubinsky who have been great with the Hartford Wolf pack the last 2 seasons. Ryan Callahan emerged as a contributor down the stretch and in the playoffs and I would look for Nigel Dawes also to make an impact. We are really loaded down on the farm and I think we need to keep the energy level high with these hungry talented young guns that can fill out the roster. It's not just about Marc Staal! (who plays in the Ontario league)
    Thanks Green, that's what I was looking for, the likely logic behind this move and that makes perfect sense

    THANK YOU

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barnes isnt bad but it just gives cap space for Avery and lets Dubinsky play.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07132007...rry_brooks.htm

    It sounds like it was a necessary move cap-wise but the above article leads me to believe Cullen is disappointed by this.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was a good deal. With Gomez and Drury around we don't need Cullen anymore.

    I wish him luck in Carolina, too bad he won't be around for a Stanley Cup victory this year

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81
    I think it was a good deal. With Gomez and Drury around we don't need Cullen anymore.

    I wish him luck in Carolina, too bad he won't be around for a Stanley Cup victory this year
    That's not true at all.
    A 3rd line center is usually a checking center and can many times
    be more important that the #2.

    Kids should not be thrown into that role.

    On the good side, Avery was our #1 most important skater during the
    playoffs, so if this helps him get signed..that makes it easier to swallow.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cully, was a great 3rd line Center. He's back home, good luck Cully. Now we have room to sign Avery so..

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea if Avery can play C???

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots
    Any idea if Avery can play C???
    He played it in L.A. and in a few games for us this season.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well there you go.

    I know quite a bit about hockey...but one thing I don't know is
    if being a defensive CENTER is different than a Def. wing...any idea?
    (besides the obvious?)

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots
    Well there you go.

    I know quite a bit about hockey...but one thing I don't know is
    if being a defensive CENTER is different than a Def. wing...any idea?
    (besides the obvious?)
    Ah, I would guess so....I would think more goes into a defensive plan if your a def center. Cuz that puck can go back in forth and u gotta look EVERYWHERE left, right, and in front of you.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand this trade at this point in time. I was under the impression that there was enough cap space left to get Avery and Hossa signed.

    I don't feel that this was the time to trade Cullen after coming off a disappointing year. Limited trade value and that was obvious by what the Rangers got in return. Cullen has 3 years left on his contract so there was plenty of time to wait and explore trading him at the deadline or in the next off-season.

    Cullen, Callahan and Prucha would have been a nice 3rd line. Now the Rangers have a hole on the third line and there is talk about moving Betts up or plugging in Dubinsky or Immonen. I think this is a downgrade and I'm very disappointed.

    By the way, Avery is not best suited at center IMO. He is much more effective on the wing.

    The one thing I'm thinking is that recently promoted Assistant GM, Jim Schoenfeld had some imput in this decision. He coached the Wolfpack last year and has overseen the development of Dubinsky and Immonen. Maybe he convinced Sather that one or both of those 2 guys was ready to step up. I can only hope this is the case.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    I don't understand this trade at this point in time. I was under the impression that there was enough cap space left to get Avery and Hossa signed.

    I don't feel that this was the time to trade Cullen after coming off a disappointing year. Limited trade value and that was obvious by what the Rangers got in return. Cullen has 3 years left on his contract so there was plenty of time to wait and explore trading him at the deadline or in the next off-season.

    Cullen, Callahan and Prucha would have been a nice 3rd line. Now the Rangers have a hole on the third line and there is talk about moving Betts up or plugging in Dubinsky or Immonen. I think this is a downgrade and I'm very disappointed.

    By the way, Avery is not best suited at center IMO. He is much more effective on the wing.

    The one thing I'm thinking is that recently promoted Assistant GM, Jim Schoenfeld had some imput in this decision. He coached the Wolfpack last year and has overseen the development of Dubinsky and Immonen. Maybe he convinced Sather that one or both of those 2 guys was ready to step up. I can only hope this is the case.

    Totally agree, there was no need from what i understand as far as the cap number to trade him at this time.....As far as Immonen is concerned, i think that he said he is going back to Finland or wherever he played before and not playing for the Rangers this year.....Did anyone else hear this?.....

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers
    Totally agree, there was no need from what i understand as far as the cap number to trade him at this time.....As far as Immonen is concerned, i think that he said he is going back to Finland or wherever he played before and not playing for the Rangers this year.....Did anyone else hear this?.....
    Yes, I found the article I read that in. Not sure if there's a more recent reference.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/06122007...rry_brooks.htm
    I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. The good news is, Dubinsky is only 21. Immonen is 25.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers
    Totally agree, there was no need from what i understand as far as the cap number to trade him at this time.....As far as Immonen is concerned, i think that he said he is going back to Finland or wherever he played before and not playing for the Rangers this year.....Did anyone else hear this?.....
    you are right about immonen going back to finland. As for what the rangers should do, they should absolutely let a kid try to earn the spot out of camp. this sends a mesage to the farm that if you work hard, play the system well, you can earn a spot with the big club. knowing the rangers, however, they will sign peca.

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla
    you are right about immonen going back to finland. As for what the rangers should do, they should absolutely let a kid try to earn the spot out of camp. this sends a mesage to the farm that if you work hard, play the system well, you can earn a spot with the big club. knowing the rangers, however, they will sign peca.
    Good point. Better avatar.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us