Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers in talks with several teams about Teixeira

Banned

Rangers in talks with several teams about Teixeira

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2947494

Rangers in talks with several teams about Teixeira

By Buster Olney

Executives with other teams believe that the Texas Rangers are definitely intent on trading first baseman Mark Teixeira before the July 31 trade deadline, which would make Teixeira the most prominent player dealt.

The rival executives say that the Rangers' demands for Teixeira have come down bit by bit. In addition, the Rangers feel they can get one or more of the targeted prospects that they can ask for from the targeted teams. However, the Rangers dispute the notion that their price is coming down or that it's a slam dunk that they will trade Teixeira.

At the outset of the Teixeira trade talks, for example, the Rangers had insisted the Yankees include either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes, one of the Yankees' top pitching prospects, and had asked the Dodgers for three top prospects. They had asked the Red Sox for pitcher Clay Buchholz and center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

The Angels, Braves and Giants are also involved in talks for Teixeira.

Teixeira, who will be eligible for salary arbitration after making $9 million this season, has refused to talk about the possibility of being traded.

"I'm done talking about it," Teixeira said Tuesday before the Rangers played a doubleheader against Seattle, repeating what has become a daily response.

At the start of the eight-game homestand Thursday, when Teixeira played in Arlington for the first time since going on the disabled list June 9, he said he was focused on the game.

"I know there is a business side of baseball. There is a playing side of baseball, and that is what I'm going to concentrate on the last two months of the season," he said last week. "Until someone tells me otherwise, I'm a Ranger. I love playing here."

But Teixeira, the No. 5 overall pick as a third baseman out of Georgia Tech in 2001, has also expressed his desire to play for a winning team. The Rangers didn't finish better than third in the AL West with only one winning record his first four seasons, and they're in last place again this year.

Any team that acquires Teixeira would get more than a rent-a-player for the rest of this season. While Teixeira will be eligible for salary arbitration, he can't become a free agent until after 2008.

Only Ralph Kiner, Albert Pujols and Eddie Mathews hit more than the 140 homers that Teixeira had in his first four major league seasons. He had at least 33 homers and 110 RBIs in each of the past three.

Teixeira went into Tuesday hitting .302 with 13 home runs and 47 RBIs despite missing 27 games because of a strained left quadriceps muscle sustained running out a ground ball. The Rangers were 16-11 when he was out of the lineup after he played in a team record 507 consecutive games.

"If Mark is not here, we are going to miss him because of what he brings to the table. This guy is a great ballplayer and can make a difference in a game," manager Ron Washington said Tuesday. "I don't think you can ever say because we won when Mark wasn't in the lineup that the team is better without him. This team is not better without him.

"My only statement to that is, we'll adjust," Washington said. "Because if Mark leaves here, we're getting something for him. So we'll adjust."
    I like Mark Teixeira but in no way shape or form would I give up either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for him.

On the other hand I would give them Shelly Duncan (I know you love him Hammer, but I think he is a Shane Spenser 2) and a 2nd tier starter.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-24-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan

I like Mark Teixeira but in no way shape or form would I give up either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for him.

On the other hand I would give them Shelly Duncan and a 2nd tier starter.
    Trade the machine .. bite your tongue!

J/K Sean, you have to trade the machine if it means acquiring Mark Texeira .. its a no brainer

Banned
    How bout we give them Johnny Damon, Andy Phillips and a minor league pitcher not named Hughes or Joba?

1. SS Derek Jeter
    2. RF Bobby Abreu
    3. 3B AROD
    4. 1B Mark Texeira
    5. LF Hideki Matsui
    6. C Jorge Posada
    7. 2B Robby Cano
    8. DH The Machine
    9. CF Melky Cabrera

If Giambi ever gets healthy enough to play every day he can be the DH, otherwise let's hope he gets healthy enough to be a part time LH-DH with the machine spelling him occasionally verses lefties

Sounds like a plan?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-24-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    How bout we give them Johnny Damon, Andy Phillips and a minor league pitcher not named Hughes or Joba?

1. SS Derek Jeter
    2. RF Bobby Abreu
    3. 3B AROD
    4. 1B Mark Texeira
    5. LF Hideki Matsui
    6. C Jorge Posada
    7. 2B Robby Cano
    8. DH The Machine
    9. CF Melky Cabrera

If Giambi ever gets healthy enough to play every day he can be the DH, otherwise let's hope he gets healthy enough to be a part time LH-DH with the machine spelling him occasionally verses lefties

Sounds like a plan?
    I think when Johnny is healthy he can really help this team. He isn't a CFer anymore but I believe he can still play the corners. I would like to see what Johnny can do this 2nd half. Here is my lineup

1. Johnny Damon LF (LEFTY)
    2. Derek Jeter SS (RIGHTY)
    3. Bobby Abreu RF (LEFTY)
    4. Alex Rodriguez 3B (RIGHTY)
    5. Jorge Posada C (SWITCH)
    6. Hideki Matsui DH (LEFTY)
    7. Mark Texeira 1B (SWITCH)
    8. Robinson Cano 2B (LEFTY)
    9. Melky Cabrera CF (SWITCH)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-24-2007 at 08:10 PM.

I think when Johnny is healthy he can really help this team. He isn't a CFer anymore but I believe he can still play the corners. I would like to see what Johnny can do this 2nd half. Here is my lineup

1. Johnny Damon LF (LEFTY)
    2. Derek Jeter SS (RIGHTY)
    3. Bobby Abreu RF (LEFTY)
    4. Alex Rodriguez 3B (RIGHTY)
    5. Jorge Posada C (SWITCH)
    6. Hideki Matsui DH (LEFTY)
    7. Mark Texeira 1B (SWITCH)
    8. Robinson Cano 2B (LEFTY)
    9. Melky Cabrera CF (SWITCH)
    Why would you want Jeter leading off?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy
    Why would you want Jeter leading off?
    I'm not.

And if I did, what is so wrong with him being a lead off hitter? He has done very well in the past as a lead off hitter. He lead of most of the 2000 World Series. We all know how that ended up for him.

If Texas holds out for a top pitching prospect like a Chamberlain, they will never trade Texeira. I wonder if we would trade Kennedy+ for him. I wouldn't.

Hall Of Fame
    This thread is Yankee delusion at it's finest.

Maybe I'd trade Shelley Duncan for Tex. LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    If Texas holds out for a top pitching prospect like a Chamberlain, they will never trade Texeira. I wonder if we would trade Kennedy+ for him. I wouldn't.
    Ian Kennedy is right up there with Hughes and Joba in my opinion. All 3 of them should be untouchable. Have you seen Kennedy's #s? He is currently 11-2 with and ERA under 2

Hall Of Fame
    sure yankee fans texas will run to trade a switch hitting power first baseman in his prime for your second tier prospects......infact they should just give the guy to the yankees while they are at it. Trust me Hughes+ MAY get it done....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3

You left out a 2nd tier pitching prospect.... which is a #1 prospect it most farm systems. Including the Mets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    sure yankee fans texas will run to trade a switch hitting power first baseman in his prime for your second tier prospects......infact they should just give the guy to the yankees while they are at it. Trust me Hughes+ MAY get it done....

Hall Of Fame
    Dude, he's right, Texas doesn't have to trade Tex until next year. They have all the leverage. If you want him he will cost you, it isn't like the Yankees are the only team that wants him

Hall Of Fame
    Ham I hope you weren't serious with that Johnny Damon deal, no team would want Damon, you would have to add a prospect to the deal to just dump his contract.

Banned
    Dude, he's right, Texas doesn't have to trade Tex until next year. They have all the leverage. If you want him he will cost you, it isn't like the Yankees are the only team that wants him
    Leverage my ass. They can hold out all they want... when the time comes Texas will walk away with nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    Leverage my ass. They can hold out all they want... when the time comes Texas will walk away with nothing.
    They can trade him in the offseason and at next year's deadline, his value is higher now because he is under contract for longer, they're not going to settle for a crap deal. And they have the money to pay for his contract, they don't need to dump him.

Banned
    They can trade him in the offseason and at next year's deadline, his value is higher now because he is under contract for longer, they're not going to settle for a crap deal. And they have the money to pay for his contract, they don't need to dump him.
    Like I said earlier, I like Mark Teixeira but in no way shape or form would I give up either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for him. You can add Ian Kennedy to that list also.

Hall Of Fame
    Like I said earlier, I like Mark Teixeira but in no way shape or form would I give up either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for him. You can add Ian Kennedy to that list also.
    Then you don't like Texieira that much, it will take a top prospect to get him. That's fine, but don't act like you can get him with a crap offer.

That's like me saying "I like Oswalt, but I'm not trading Gomez, Milledge, Pelfrey or Humber."

Banned

The more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to trade the machine

But I'll Give them Damon, Phillips and a so-so pitching prospect

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    The more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to trade the machine

But I'll Give them Damon, Phillips and a so-so pitching prospect
    Damon has negative value, Phillips has negligible value, if you think that gets you Tex for 1.5 years you are delusional