Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: Yanks trade Scott Proctor for Wilson Betemit

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,458

    Dodgers to send Betemit to Yankees for Proctor

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2955753


    The Dodgers and Yankees have agreed in principle on a trade that would send reliever Scott Proctor to the Dodgers for infielder Wilson Betemit, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

    The Dodgers, who have a 5.61 bullpen ERA since the All-Star break, have been in on a number of trade discussions involving relievers but zeroed in on Proctor over the last 24 hours.

    The Yankees view Betemit as another first-base/DH/bench option for this year, and a potential third-base replacement for Alex Rodriguez next year.

    Betemit is batting .231 with 10 home runs and 26 RBIs this season off the Dodgers' bench. Proctor is 2-5 with a 3.81 ERA, and his 54 1/3 innings out of the Yankees' bullpen are tied for fourth-most among AL relievers.

  2. #2

    Yanks trade Scott Proctor for Wilson Betemit

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2955753

    Personally, I love the trade. Proctor really hasn't been good this year and has been worse of late. That may very well to do with the fact that Torre killed his arm, but it is what it is.

    Wilson Betemit has been very productive for the Dodgers this year, despite his low BA. He has a .359 OBP and a .474 SLG, which means that if and when he gets his BA up, those numbers should also increase, which would make them go from very good to excellent.

    He can also play a lot of positions and is light years better than Cairo as a bench player (I assume he'll be DFA'd soon).

    Lastly, and I think this is important, but it gives the Yankees some insurance if A-Rod leaves. Obviously this won't affect how hard the Yankees will try to keep A-Rod, but if he does leave, at least we have a solid backup plan. Because, if we didn't have Betemit, we would have to either sign Lowell to a 3 or 4 year deal, which I can guarantee will look like a disaster soon as he'll be on the decline (and we'll have to give our 1st round pick to the Sox) or sign a Morgan Ensberg type... The options at 3B are horrendous.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,458
    got ya by 2 min

  4. #4
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Sooo.... how does this help the bullpen?

    I hope this isn't the big move for the Yankees.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    got ya by 2 min
    Yep, sorry about that.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    Sooo.... how does this help the bullpen?

    I hope this isn't the big move for the Yankees.
    I don't think it hurts the bullpen. Joba Chamberlain is coming up very soon (my guess is he'll be called up for Friday's game) and he's better than Proctor. I also feel that Edwar Ramirez or Chris Britton are just as good as Proctor.

  7. #7
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I don't think it hurts the bullpen. Joba Chamberlain is coming up very soon (my guess is he'll be called up for Friday's game) and he's better than Proctor. I also feel that Edwar Ramirez or Chris Britton are just as good as Proctor.

    What about Farnsworth? We need him out.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    What about Farnsworth? We need him out.
    I agree. Proctor and Farnsworth can be replaced with Chamberlain and Britton or Edwar (or someone from the outside if we do make a trade).

  9. #9
    Wow. Do you know how badly I wanted Betemit?

    Young? Check.

    Power? Check.

    Paitent? Check.

    Athletic? Check.

    Versatile? Check.

    I think the Yankees might start figuring it out soon enough that you don't need big names or big money to have a nice bullpen. The Padres have done by finding guys who have good strikeout to walk ratio and can keep the ball on the ground. Spending big money or prospects on guys like Dotel is pointless as hell, I think Ramirez, Chamberlain, Whelan (or did he have TJ surgery?), Cox, and so on could piece together and strengthen the pen. Chamberlain and Ramirez should give it a HUGE boost IMO.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    Wow. Do you know how badly I wanted Betemit?

    Young? Check.

    Power? Check.

    Paitent? Check.

    Athletic? Check.

    Versatile? Check.

    I think the Yankees might start figuring it out soon enough that you don't need big names or big money to have a nice bullpen. The Padres have done by finding guys who have good strikeout to walk ratio and can keep the ball on the ground. Spending big money or prospects on guys like Dotel is pointless as hell, I think Ramirez, Chamberlain, Whelan (or did he have TJ surgery?), Cox, and so on could piece together and strengthen the pen. Chamberlain and Ramirez should give it a HUGE boost IMO.
    Yes, those were the reasons I really wanted Betemit too.

    Chamberlain will be in the pen this year, but I want him to be a starter starting in 2008. Whelan didn't have TJ surgery, but he's been really struggling with his command. Cox did have TJ surgery, but he'll be back at some point of time.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Yes, those were the reasons I really wanted Betemit too.

    Chamberlain will be in the pen this year, but I want him to be a starter starting in 2008. Whelan didn't have TJ surgery, but he's been really struggling with his command. Cox did have TJ surgery, but he'll be back at some point of time.
    Think the Yankees are trying to be as smart as the Red Sox and Padres are and realize a bullpen can be built with no-names who produce?

    I wish the Cubs and Hendry would realize that.

    I really like what Cashman is doing with the Yankees man. Even if they look old and meh now...in 2-3 years they might actually be a decent watch. The best part is that the Sox are doing the same thing. That rivalry might actually get fun again soon.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,582
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec

    What about Farnsworth? We need him out.
    No doubt, Gotta Get Fransworthless out of here today!

    I hope we can put him in a package for Gagne

    I'll Give them Horne {the rumored prospect they covet} if they agree to take Farnsworthless too

  13. #13
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    Wow. Do you know how badly I wanted Betemit?

    Young? Check.

    Power? Check.

    Paitent? Check.

    Athletic? Check.

    Versatile? Check.

    I think the Yankees might start figuring it out soon enough that you don't need big names or big money to have a nice bullpen. The Padres have done by finding guys who have good strikeout to walk ratio and can keep the ball on the ground. Spending big money or prospects on guys like Dotel is pointless as hell, I think Ramirez, Chamberlain, Whelan (or did he have TJ surgery?), Cox, and so on could piece together and strengthen the pen. Chamberlain and Ramirez should give it a HUGE boost IMO.


    I disagree, I don't see Betemit making much of an impact, unless you can convince me otherwise. Aside from replacing Cairo as a bench player, this guy will never play. He doesn't fill any immediate needs, especially with Phillips playing well and Giambi on his way back. This trade more or less will do nothing in the grand scheme of things -- we don't lose much in giving away Proctor, and we sure as hell don't gain a lot.

    And don't even tell me he'll be a viable solution at third if A-Rod leaves. Wilson Betemit doesn't fill the shoes of Alex Rodriguez.

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    605

    OT: Yankees trade Proctor to Dodgers

    Yankees agreed to trade Scott Proctor to the dodgers for INF Wilson Bedemit today.

    Thoughts??

  15. #15
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJets1988
    Yankees agreed to trade Scott Proctor to the dodgers for INF Wilson Bedemit today.

    Thoughts??

    Already being discussed in the baseball forum.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJets1988
    Yankees agreed to trade Scott Proctor to the dodgers for INF Wilson Bedemit today.

    Thoughts??
    My thought is that this is in the wrong forum.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I disagree, I don't see Betemit making much of an impact, unless you can convince me otherwise. Aside from replacing Cairo as a bench player, this guy will never play. He doesn't fill any immediate needs, especially with Phillips playing well and Giambi on his way back. This trade more or less will do nothing in the grand scheme of things -- we don't lose much in giving away Proctor, and we sure as hell don't gain a lot.

    And don't even tell me he'll be a viable solution at third if A-Rod leaves. Wilson Betemit doesn't fill the shoes of Alex Rodriguez.
    Betemit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phillips at 1B

    The only thing not to like about Betemit is his batting average, but his .359 OBP and .474 SLG kind of make up for that.

    I don't know why I would tell you anything in the bolded area. I don't think ARod is leaving. And of course Betemit wouldn't fill the shoes of ARod, how many guys in the MLB today could? If you're looking for that, then you're only looking for disappointment.

    Theres alot of value in a 27 year old former SS who can handle anywhere on the field besides catcher, get on base, and hit for alot of power.

    I think he's definitely gonna take Phillips job. Phillips is getting really lucky so far with a .356 BABIP, and Betemit is a better glove and has a way better track record with the bat (plus he's more patient and powerful).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    No doubt, Gotta Get Fransworthless out of here today!

    I hope we can put him in a package for Gagne

    I'll Give them Horne {the rumored prospect they covet} if they agree to take Farnsworthless too
    I wouldn't give them Horne.

    It sounds like Boston and Texas has agreed to a deal that will send Kason Gabbard and Dave Murphy (4th outfielder type) for Gagne. I have no idea why Texas would accept that deal. Supposedly Cashman wouldn't give up both Clippard and Marquez for Gagne.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 07-31-2007 at 03:33 PM.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    soyunds like a trade for the sake of trading to me

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I disagree, I don't see Betemit making much of an impact, unless you can convince me otherwise. Aside from replacing Cairo as a bench player, this guy will never play. He doesn't fill any immediate needs, especially with Phillips playing well and Giambi on his way back. This trade more or less will do nothing in the grand scheme of things -- we don't lose much in giving away Proctor, and we sure as hell don't gain a lot.

    And don't even tell me he'll be a viable solution at third if A-Rod leaves. Wilson Betemit doesn't fill the shoes of Alex Rodriguez.
    I believe Betemit is better than Phillips, depending on his D there.

    As for Betemit and A-Rod, no, Betemit is nowhere near the player A-Rod is. But, neither are any of the FA third baseman out there. If A-Rod leaves, our options are signing Mike Lowell (and giving up our 1st round pick) to a 3 or 4 year deal to get Lowell's declining years, and that will be a horrible contract... There really is no other option. The other FA third basemen are horrible out there, lead by the likes of Morgan Ensberg and Jeff Cirillo. So while Betemit cannot fill A-Rod's shoes, no they can't, but he is better than every other option out there. Unless you want to trade a Joba Chamberlain for a big time third baseman.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us