Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillip Humber offered for Chad Cordero

Hall Of Fame

Phillip Humber offered for Chad Cordero

The Mets offered fine pitching prospect Phil Humber for Cordero but have been firm to this point that they will not surrender any of their top four prospects: outfielders Carlos Gomez, Fernando Martinez and Lastings Milledge, and pitcher Mike Pelfrey
    OO

All Pro

just posted this in the other thread taken from Metsblog

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...
    According to Jon Heyman at SI.com, the Mets have offered Philip Humber to the Nationals in exchange for RHP Chad Cordero, though they refuse to part with OF Carlos Gomez, OF Fernando Martinez, or RHP Mike Pelfrey.

…in other words, like i said a few moments ago, i think humber is a lock to be in this deal, assuming it actually happens, and, at this point, the Nationals are simply left to choose who that second prospect will be, which, now seems to be among a short list topped by Kevin Mulvey or Matt Carp…

Heyman also notes that the D’Backs have begun talks with the Nationals regarding Cordero, as well.

LOL Cordero blows.

Just what everyone wants...a flyball reliever whose K:BB isn't even 2.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato
    LOL Cordero blows.

Just what everyone wants...a flyball reliever whose K:BB isn't even 2.
    +1

All Pro
    At his blog for the Washington Post, National beat-writer Barry Svlruga writes that if the Red Sox acquire Eric Gagne, the Mets will be the final team in the running for Cordero.

I wouldn't make that deal if I was the Mets... I'm not a big Cordero fan at all.

Hall Of Fame
    woooo!

Thank the lord, the deal is off the table.

CALL UP HUMBER DAMNIT.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51
    woooo!

Thank the lord, the deal is off the table.

CALL UP HUMBER DAMNIT.
    source??? i hope this is true

All Pro
    In an update for the Stark Report, at ESPN.com, Jayson Stark writes that the Mets, Nationals and D’Backs are discussing a three-way deal, as the Mets will only part with RHP Philip Humber in a deal for Cordero.

Jack (NY): Have you heard anything about Phil Humber for Chad Cordero?

SportsNation Jonah Keri: (2:13 PM ET ) That would be a very dumb trade for the Mets. Heck, they could promote Humber to the rotation, slot Jorge Sosa in the pen, and get a similar effect, without losing a guy six years from free agency who could be an above-average SP.

Hall Of Fame
    You guys got me confused. I would do Humber for Cordero straight up in a heartbeat.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Jack (NY): Have you heard anything about Phil Humber for Chad Cordero?

SportsNation Jonah Keri: (2:13 PM ET ) That would be a very dumb trade for the Mets. Heck, they could promote Humber to the rotation, slot Jorge Sosa in the pen, and get a similar effect, without losing a guy six years from free agency who could be an above-average SP.
    this guy is a complete moron...not that i want cordero but he is sayin Jorge sosa is gonna all of a sudden become a relieble set up man cmon get a clue

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp
    this guy is a complete moron...not that i want cordero but he is sayin Jorge sosa is gonna all of a sudden become a relieble set up man cmon get a clue
    I don't disagree with that regarding Sosa. I'm not sure how reliable Cordero would be though.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I don't disagree with that regarding Sosa. I'm not sure how reliable Cordero would be though.
    Regardless of how good he will be, he will be a legit set up man which just strengthens the mets overall bullpen, by having heilman(who has been pretty darn good as of late) pitch the 7th.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Looks like it wasn't done. The deadline has passed.

Banned
    Michael Kay Just said the Mets offered Humber for Gagne
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-31-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Michael Kay Just said the Mets offered Humber for Gagne at the last minute, but it was too late
    Dosen't make much sense that they'd try to sneak it in at the wire. They know other teams are going after him. He would've been first choice over Cordero. They would've had to convince either he or Wagner to relinquish the closer role. I wonder if Kay will stand by that comment?
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 07-31-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Keep the young arm and give the kid a damn chance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51
    Keep the young arm and give the kid a damn chance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet

Dosen't make much sense that they'd try to sneak it in at the wire. They know other teams are going after him. He would've been first choice over Cordero. They would've had to convince either he or Wagner to relinquish the closer role. I wonder if Kay will stand by that comment?
    Absolutely, he insists the Mets offered Humber for Gagne .. although I mis-spoke when I said the last minute, I thought he said that too {wasn't listening closely}, but he just said the Mets offered Humber and the Rangers opted for the Red Sox offer instead