Thread: Rangers, Hossa Agree To Terms On New Contract

All League

Rangers, Hossa Agree To Terms On New Contract

7/31/2007
    From Newyorkrangers.com

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Marcel Hossa.

Hossa, 25, appeared in 64 games with the Rangers this past season, recording 10 goals and eight assists for 18 points, along with 26 penalty minutes. He tallied eight goals and five assists for 13 points in his last 15 regular season games.

While establishing career-highs in assists (eight) and points (18), Hossa led the Rangers and tied for seventh in the NHL with three shootout game-deciding goals. In the postseason, Hossa recorded four points (two goals and two assists), along with a plus-five rating and four penalty minutes in 10 games.

The 6-3, 220-pound forward has skated in 187 career NHL contests with the Rangers and Montreal Canadiens, registering 30 goals and 23 assists for 53 points, along with 78 penalty minutes. In 2005-06, Hossa appeared in 64 games with the Rangers, recording 10 goals and six assists for 16 points, along with 28 penalty minutes.

As a second-year forward for Montreal in 2002-03, he collected 13 points (six goals and seven assists) in 34 games and played in the 2003 YoungStars Game at All-Star Weekend in Florida, recording two assists. Hossa has also skated in 144 career games in the American Hockey League (AHL) with the Hamilton Bulldogs and Quebec Citadelles, registering 54 goals and 50 assists for 104 points, along with a plus-26 rating and 87 penalty minutes.

Internationally, Hossa has represented his native Slovakia in several tournaments, including the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy and the 2006 World Championships in Riga, Latvia. In seven games at the 2006 World Championships, he picked up one goal and three assists, along with a plus-three rating.

Aside from his experience in the 2006 Winter Olympics and 2006 World Championships, Hossa also participated in the 1999, 2000 and 2001 World Junior Championships and the 2005 World Championships in Austria.

Prior to joining the professional ranks, Hossa appeared in 188 games with the Portland Winter Hawks of the Western Hockey League (WHL), registering 65 goals and 99 assists for 164 points, along with 182 penalty minutes. He led the Winter Hawks in scoring in 2000-01, collecting 34 goals and 56 assists for 90 points and was named to the WHL West Second All-Star Team at the conclusion of the season.

The native of Ilava, Slovakia, was originally drafted by Montreal in the first round, 16th overall, of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. On September 30, 2005, Hossa was acquired by the Rangers from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for left wing Garth Murray

All League
    I'm happy for Marcel, but what about Avery?!? He is going through arbitration hell!

Jets Insider VIP
    Good Job Guys! Now Avery!

All Pro
    Averys gone after this year. Sather *****ed him.

All League
    Ouch, any numbers? You guys were riding the cap at $1.001mm before you signed him... Hope you hold on to Avery.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7
    Ouch, any numbers? You guys were riding the cap at $1.001mm before you signed him... Hope you hold on to Avery.
    Don't forget they unloaded Cullen's $2.8M salary. They have room for Hossa and Avery.

I read the Avery comments and he's obviously upset but he also said that he understands it's a business and he holds no hard feelings towards the team. It may be a little more difficult to sign him after this season but it's not out of the question IMO.

And to be honest, Sather's comments were true. Avery does take some stupid penalties and often at bad times. It's not like Sather was making stuff up. In fact, Jagr takes dumb penalties too and Sather would probably say the same thing about him if he was in arbitration.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy
    Don't forget they unloaded Cullen's $2.8M salary. They have room for Hossa and Avery.

I read the Avery comments and he's obviously upset but he also said that he understands it's a business and he holds no hard feelings towards the team. It may be a little more difficult to sign him after this season but it's not out of the question IMO.

And to be honest, Sather's comments were true. Avery does take some stupid penalties and often at bad times. It's not like Sather was making stuff up. In fact, Jagr takes dumb penalties too and Sather would probably say the same thing about him if he was in arbitration.

Nope. You guys are now -$1.680mm... I wouldn't include Cullens #'s in it, Avery just costed you a 1.9mm Cap hit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nope. You guys are now -$1.680mm... I wouldn't include Cullens #'s in it, Avery just costed you a 1.9mm Cap hit.
    Do you have any link that shows the Rangers' cap numbers?

All League
    http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

That's a pretty accurate site, I've only see him botch it once or twice. If you're a guy that gets riled up easy, take a series of deep breathes before you look at what Shannahan is making

Jets Insider VIP
    http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

That's a pretty accurate site, I've only see him botch it once or twice. If you're a guy that gets riled up easy, take a series of deep breathes before you look at what Shannahan is making
    Well, it's not entirely accurate.

1) I believe Kasparaitis' $2.989M number will drop off when he starts the season in Hartford.

2)As for Shanahan, there is a cap-exempt bonus on the $2.8M. The deal ultimately might total $5.3 million, but under the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, the club can exceed the $50.3 million hard salary cap to pay Shanahan's performance bonuses if necessary.

Well, it's not entirely accurate.

1) I believe Kasparaitis' $2.989M number will drop off when he starts the season in Hartford.

2)As for Shanahan, there is a cap-exempt bonus on the $2.8M. The deal ultimately might total $5.3 million, but under the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, the club can exceed the $50.3 million hard salary cap to pay Shanahan's performance bonuses if necessary.
    #1 Is Correct. Kasparitis won't count against the cap as he'll either be traded or stashed in the Minors.

#2 is only Partially Correct, the club can exceed the 50.3 million hard salary cap to pay Shanahan's performance bonuses, but whatever they exceed the cap by will be charged onto next seasons' cap number.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    #1 Is Correct. Kasparitis won't count against the cap as he'll either be traded or stashed in the Minors.

#2 is only Partially Correct, the club can exceed the 50.3 million hard salary cap to pay Shanahan's performance bonuses, but whatever they exceed the cap by will be charged onto next seasons' cap number.
    No doubt. I was merely responding to Steel's numbers that showed the Rangers over the cap for this coming season. That is not the case.

All League
    No doubt. I was merely responding to Steel's numbers that showed the Rangers over the cap for this coming season. That is not the case.
    That cap hit is 2.8mm based on last years reached bonus plus his offer this year averaged out.. correct me if I'm wrong? I can't be arsed to figure out which season it comes from, either or... you guys are no way in cap Hell. Minors for Kaspritis, there is rumors of shopping Mara (no I'm not reffering to the asinine one I heard lol) Lunqdvist will most likely re-negotiate a long term contract soon, and you guys are shagging off a bunch of dead weight next year, but at this moment you are indeed over cap. As for if I'm trying to stir the pot over it, no way... you guys will be 2mm+ under cap before september.

Jets Insider VIP
    That cap hit is 2.8mm based on last years reached bonus plus his offer this year averaged out.. correct me if I'm wrong? I can't be arsed to figure out which season it comes from, either or... you guys are no way in cap Hell. Minors for Kaspritis, there is rumors of shopping Mara (no I'm not reffering to the asinine one I heard lol) Lunqdvist will most likely re-negotiate a long term contract soon, and you guys are shagging off a bunch of dead weight next year, but at this moment you are indeed over cap. As for if I'm trying to stir the pot over it, no way... you guys will be 2mm+ under cap before september.
    All I'm saying is the site you gave a link to (and I like that site overall) is not entirely accurate for this coming season. Kasparaitis' number will most definitely come off one way or the other. He did not play 1 game in the NHL last year so showing that number is gratuitous IMO. That number for Shanahan is definitely not accurate. For the 2006-2007 season, Shanahan played for a flat 1 year deal of $4M. He recently signed a 1 yr deal for $2.5M for 2007-2008 with an additional $2.8M in performance-based bonuses. If those bonuses are reached, that $2.8M will be applied to the Rangers' cap in 2008-2009. So this guy is wrong by showing Shanahan's cap hit at $5.3M for 2007-2008.

Edit: By the way, I noticed this tidbit from his "disclaimer" on the front page, "Please take the info with a grain of salt."
    Last edited by Jordy; 08-03-2007 at 09:01 AM.

All League
    All I'm saying is the site you gave a link to (and I like that site overall) is not entirely accurate for this coming season. Kasparaitis' number will most definitely come off one way or the other. He did not play 1 game in the NHL last year so showing that number is gratuitous IMO. That number for Shanahan is definitely not accurate. For the 2006-2007 season, Shanahan played for a flat 1 year deal of $4M. He recently signed a 1 yr deal for $2.5M for 2007-2008 with an additional $2.8M in performance-based bonuses. If those bonuses are reached, that $2.8M will be applied to the Rangers' cap in 2008-2009. So this guy is wrong by showing Shanahan's cap hit at $5.3M for 2007-2008.

Edit: By the way, I noticed this tidbit from his "disclaimer" on the front page, "Please take the info with a grain of salt."
    Yeah in that case I don't know, I thought perhaps it was a payout from last season, however, you do have to balance a bonus with the salary, an incentive laiden contract still gives you a 25% hit (Don't quote me on it, but I know its in that ballpark) Until the season ends, So he screwed up on that, his hit should be more around 2.5mm even. I know about the "please take the info with a grain of salt" disclaimer, but he comes up with the same numbers as NHLCAP and myself and a couple cap wizards I know usually, but if that's the case then he ****ed up Shanahan's cap hit by more than a bit.