Thread: Peca to become a Ranger?

Jets Insider VIP

Peca to become a Ranger?

Ex-Isle Peca looks for Blueshirts' fit

BY JOHN DELLAPINA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

Michael Peca wants to jump aboard the Rangers' bandwagon. He expects to find out today whether the feeling is mutual.

Peca's agent, Don Meehan, told the Daily News last night that he has been talking to only the Rangers in recent weeks regarding a deal for the two-time Selke Trophy winner. And Meehan said he expected Rangers GM Glen Sather to inform him today whether the club wanted to slot in Peca, 33, as the checking center behind free-agent prizes Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.

"I'm talking to Glen," Meehan said. "If you ask me, I'd say the chances are 50-50 that he'll sign with the Rangers. Michael is extremely interested in them. And we're not really talking to anybody else."

At the NHL Players Association's annual charity golf tournament outside Toronto on Wednesday, Peca told the Canadian Press that he believed he'd mesh nicely with the Rangers' retooled roster.

"I think there's been some interest," said Peca, the former Islanders captain who played last season with his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs. "That would be a great fit. Is it going to happen? I'm not 100% sure. We'll see what happens."

The Rangers dealt third-line center Matt Cullen back to Carolina three weeks ago to clear his $2.8 million salary.

Peca was limited to 35 games and 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) last season because of a leg injury. He insists that he is completely healed.

All Pro
    Love him for a year on the third line, we have a ton of prospects to play if he goes down but if for a small one year deal, hes an ideal 3rd line center.

All League
    IMO Peca's days died after he left Buffalo, but you never know I guess... If I was in Sather's position I'd be chasing Kris Beech for the less than 1 mil that sleeper is waiting to get. I'm anxiously awaiting my boys to pick Beech up, but it doesn't look like it's gunna happen. JOC, Jordy (the only other avid hockey follower here) did Toronto opt to take Peca back yet I haven't been paying much attention lately, but I know they have the club option. I don't have too much of an opinion on this, it can go one of two ways, but I think he'd provide pretty good leadership if nothing else.

Edit; Toronto opted, and Beech is a ****ing Blue Jacket
    Last edited by Steel7; 08-11-2007 at 12:59 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel7
    IMO Peca's days died after he left Buffalo, but you never know I guess... If I was in Sather's position I'd be chasing Kris Beech for the less than 1 mil that sleeper is waiting to get. I'm anxiously awaiting my boys to pick Beech up, but it doesn't look like it's gunna happen. JOC, Jordy (the only other avid hockey follower here) did Toronto opt to take Peca back yet I haven't been paying much attention lately, but I know they have the club option. I don't have too much of an opinion on this, it can go one of two ways, but I think he'd provide pretty good leadership if nothing else.

Edit; Toronto opted, and Beech is a ****ing Blue Jacket
    From what I understand, Peca is a Group III unrestricted free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy

Meehan said he expected Rangers GM Glen Sather to inform him today whether the club wanted to slot in Peca, 33, as the checking center behind free-agent prizes Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.
    So what happened ... yea or nay?

All League
    Looking at HFBoards.com, in the Rangers forums, it appears nothing is done yet. Still a 50-50 chance he becomes a ranger. HFBoards is where I go for my hockey news. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but those guys are!

Jets Insider VIP
    Looks like Peca signed with Columbus. His agent was tired of waiting for an answer from Sather. Either the Rangers didn't like the results of the physical or they decided the cap hit wasn't worth it. I have to admit, though, that the thought of his leg being held together with pins and plates bothers me quite a bit.

Thank god he's not gonna be a Ranger, that would be a classic pre-lockout Rangers move. Give the position to one of the kids as they'd do just as good a job right now and eventually become better.

All Pro
    Dubinsky should get it. Either that or Hossa on the 1st line with Straka centering the third.

IM glad they didn't sign Peca. Although it might have made a good addition, I think it is better that they are keeping an open competition for youngsters in the system for whatever spots are left in the line-ups.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETSfan0922
    IM glad they didn't sign Peca. Although it might have made a good addition, I think it is better that they are keeping an open competition for youngsters in the system for whatever spots are left in the line-ups.

Totally agree. We still need to see that hunger that a young guy can give us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    Totally agree. We still need to see that hunger that a young guy can give us.
    Yes, and even w/ the addition of Callahan at the end of the season was great. Hard skater. Girardi was awesome as well. The Rangers are really gifted in young talent department over the past couple of years. They have so many options to go to within their system. Its going to interesting to see who makes the cut for Oct. 4.