Thread: OT: New York Media - Did they go to far this time?

All League

OT: New York Media - Did they go to far this time?

I was reading the article about Chippers comments on Arod and he didn't say much, but the media ran with it and made him look bad. I think Chipper has a valid point in not talking to them anymore. What does everyone else think?

Here is the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2967869

Quote Originally Posted by What he said From the Article
    On Wednesday, Jones spoke with a reporter from the Associated Press and MLB.com in which he said that now that Barry Bonds owns the home run record, Rodriguez, potentially the heir to Bonds' throne, will be the next one that will have to endure speculation over if he used performance enhancing drugs.

Jones said Canseco is a good source on the subject of steroids.

"There's been a lot of validation to some of the things that Jose Canseco has said," Jones said Wednesday. "At first when it came out a lot of people didn't want to give him a lot of credit for it. But a lot of it has been proven true. And unfortunately this cloud is following probably two of the best players of this century."

Jones went on to tell the two reporters Wednesday that if he had to guess, he would say that Rodriguez had not used steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Headlines the Media came up with...
    On Thursday, when Jones walked into the road clubhouse at Shea a little more than an hour before the 12:10 p.m. start, the back page of the New York Post was on the seat in front of his locker.

It was placed there earlier in the morning by Jones' teammate, Jeff Francoeur. The headline in big bold, white, letters blared, "A'ROID SHOCKER" and there was a subhead that read, "Chipper says drug questions will dog Alex."

Jones' Rodriguez-steroid story, which also appeared on the top banner headline of the New York Daily News' back page (CHIPPER'S A-BOMB), was all over the Internet and made for a talk radio topic on Thursday.

Hall Of Fame
    When I first read the articles yesterday, I commented that I haven't seen a bigger non-story in the paper in a while. They were really reaching with this one.

They clearly were trying to paint a picture that Chipper had accused ARod of something, when in reality all he had said was that he thought ARod might have a few doubters at some point. He even said he doubted it himself.

Typical media, though.

Banned
    headlines like that sell papers. even if they are misleading, they can get away with it.

aw, say it aint so, Larry not talking the NY media anymore

Yet another reason why the NY media is full of the most pathetic people this planet has to offer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by person
    aw, say it aint so, Larry not talking the NY media anymore
    Larry owns the Mets.