Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: USA - Brazil scheduled for Sept. 9 in Chicago

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

USA - Brazil scheduled for Sept. 9 in Chicago

The Brazilians Are Coming

By Jeffrey Marcus

Tags: Brazil, Concacaf, Conmbeol, United States

The United States will play Brazil on Sept. 9 in Chicago, the United States Soccer federation announced. The match is being billed as a “Clash of Champions,” after the Americans won the Concacaf Gold Cup this summer and Brazil, the five-time world champion, brought home the Copa America from Venezuela.
    RobinhoBrazil’s Robinho led all scorers at this summer’s Copa America with 6 goals. (Juan Barretto/AFP/Getty Images)

The two regional championships are not exactly comparable. The United States team had to make its way through Guatemala, Trinidad and Tobago, El Salvador, Panama, Canada and Mexico. The Americans did so by outscoring their opponents by a combined 13-3. That was the United States A team. When Bob Bradley brought his B team to Venezuela, the Americans went three and out at the hands of Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay. They mustered only two goals, giving up eight.

Brazil won the Copa against competition with World Cup pedigree, dispatching Ecuador, Chile (twice) and Uruguay before defeating Argentina convincingly in the final. Strange enough, the only team to beat Brazil at the Copa was Mexico in the first game. Over all, the Seleção proved that even without its singularly monikered superstars Ronaldinho, Kaka and Adriano, there is a well-stocked locker room of top footballing talent that can execute the national team coach Dunga’s efficient, if very un-Brazilian, game plan to great effect.

The Sept. 9 game was added to replace the scheduled friendly against Mexico that was called off because of financial problems. The United States has three more games scheduled for 2007: Aug. 22 against Sweden in Goteborg (Fox Soccer Channel and Galavision); Oct. 14 against Catalonia in Barcelona (FSC and Galavision); and Oct. 17 in Basel against Switzerland (FSC and Galavision). The Brazil match will be on ESPN2 and Univision.

Concacaf qualifying for the 2010 World Cup begins in 2008.

I wonder if Brazil will start any of their big guns.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    US may have a chance. Chicago is a party town and Brazil tore up the german bars at the WC.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008084144

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I wonder if Brazil will start any of their big guns.
    it wouldnt surprise me if guys like gilberto, robinho, julio baptista, etc. were there, though i dont know about some of the really big guns like ronaldinho...still should be entertaining and (hopefully) a great day for US soccer, if i wasnt starting law school i would certainly try to get out to this match...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    it wouldnt surprise me if guys like gilberto, robinho, julio baptista, etc. were there, though i dont know about some of the really big guns like ronaldinho...still should be entertaining and (hopefully) a great day for US soccer, if i wasnt starting law school i would certainly try to get out to this match...

Where are you going to law school?

It's also the day of the Jets opener, so priorties are priorities

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    If they bring out the big guns I'm definitely heading down from Madison.

Considering that the club season is just starting in Europe, I'm not sure even of those guys will get the call up. That goes for our guys too, I don't expect to see Adu, Convey, Hannheman, Howard, Boca, Dempsey or Beasly